Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking sound from chainwheel area

Options
  • 24-05-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

There's a clicking sound with each revolution of the chain wheel of my 2 year old Cube SL Road Pro when riding only. 

When on the bike stand it doesn't click and all the chain links are moving freely; one of the chain links has been replaced.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

More than likely your Bottom bracket, might just need greasing or tightening but if you Google "bike clicking" you'll see a smorgasbord of problems and solutions. Only guaranteed solution is a new bike :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

often it can be something else though; does it only happen when you're seated, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have something similar: every revolution of the back wheel, it only happens when I'm seated. I can find no signs of anything rubbing, plenty of space all around. It can get worse over the course of a trip. I have a suspicion it has something to do with a spoke, but they all seem fine & balanced in tension.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

grease the skewer and make sure its closed/tightened properly..skewers are notorious for clicking/creaking sound..also remove pedal and clean and regrease the thread..both of these are usually my number one areas for noise..when i think its the bottom bracket or wheel..it seldom is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bnt wrote: »
    I have something similar: every revolution of the back wheel, it only happens when I'm seated. I can find no signs of anything rubbing, plenty of space all around. It can get worse over the course of a trip. I have a suspicion it has something to do with a spoke, but they all seem fine & balanced in tension.

I’d a similar noise a few years back. It only happened while seated but was more random than every revolution. In the end it resolved when I took out the seat post and cleaned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Carnmore wrote: »
    There's a clicking sound with each revolution of the chain wheel of my 2 year old Cube SL Road Pro when riding only. 

When on the bike stand it doesn't click and all the chain links are moving freely; one of the chain links has been replaced.

Does anyone know what this might be?

If it’s uniform with each revolution it’s unlikely to be wheel/chain/gear related. Start with removing and greasing pedals as that’s the most straightforward, then look at bottom bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In my case, I found it was a loose spoke that was grinding against its neighbour as the wheel flexed under my weight. Tightened that up - noise went away.

It wasn't happening on every revolution, since the weight on the wheel would vary, and sometimes it just wouldn't happen, but today after tightening it went away entirely. No spoke should be so loose that it moves under normal stress.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Had a clicking sound which use to come and go and clicked once with each chainset revolution.

It turned out to be the front derailleur gear cable cap hitting the crank arm. Once I realized what it was, just make sure it is bent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Also check for creaking from the chainring bolts and the cleats on your shoes (if applicable).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If the front mech cable end isn't tucked in properly it can click of the pedals each revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I believed I had a creaky BB again after only replacing it a couple of months ago. Followed the advice above about greasing the skewers and voila... no more creaking!

Apparently, Mavic wheels are notorious for it and may go some way to explain the amount of Canyon bikes - usually equipped with Mavics - with supposed creaking bottom brackets.

Glad to be rid of the noise as I was seriously considering changing the BB again after such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Replaced the chain and the clicking sound has now gone!

It's a 9 speed rear mech and there's a problem selecting the smallest cog - there is a delay then the chain jumps. This was happening before I replaced the chain so I fitted a new gear cable. I've also lubricated the derailleur.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Check the H limit screw on the rear mech. If it's a Shimano, the centre of the top pulley on the mech should be in line with the outer edge of the smallest sprocket of the cassette.

Advertisement