Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Yes, I think that everyone with a grievance against the Council (some of which will be genuine) will be tempted to bombard him with e-mails/letters/phone calls now.

It will be hard for him to manage expectations.

For what's it worth, my advice to him would be to make sure he has some "me time" every day.

Hopefully I am not jinxing it now (17:08 hours) but I congratulate him and wish him the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Moran wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Feck him/her, they're getting well paid for any annoyance thrown their way.

Once it's not personal, overly abusive or protesting at their private dwelling then they're fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Congrats JM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's interesting that none of the top 3 had ever run for office before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,039 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well my big issue is the amount of it that will have nothing to do with his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Congrats to John and his team, delighted that the best candidate got over the line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He definitely ran the most visable campaign anyway. Fair play to him.

It's a bit rich complaining about Joe Public getter it wrong when the candidates were talking about stuff they'd do that had nothing to do with their job.

It's not really the candidates I am worried about. It's the half of "Joe Public" that is going to have to listen to the other half moan pure sht about all this stuff.

• Advertisement

But the seeds were planted by the candidates, if they confused the electorate with their promises and their manifestos then that's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,772 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am not from Limerick. But to be honest looking at Moran's background and varied career he seems like a highly capable individual.

I wish Dublin had the same calibre of candidates! I am jealous of the Treaty county first in hurling and now in local politics.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Good one, a sentiment shared by this Clare supporter!!!!. I bet Cork, Galway and Waterford will vote for an elected Mayor, the next time that they are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

I'm not from Limerick but it seems to be a good choice to have an "insider" like this to be able to work the system and help shape the job. He should know how to deal with government.

I hope it works out in Limerick and that all counties can have mayors eventually.

Grand whatever. I think you are taking my comment a bit too seriously.

You can always row back on your comments 😜 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

RTE obviously don't like Limerick. …….." from running a juice bar to Mayor of Limerick" . We shall see jackeens, we shall see. I initially felt that he'd just happlily retire into the role ( he's nearly 60). But I now think this fella is going to really shake things and lift the siege. We're back in 1690 folks and Moran is saddling up ……………..

There''ll be almighty rows behind city hall curtains methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Everyone loves Limerick really 🙂

It was a juice bar in France, would that make him a latter day Wild Goose who instead of getting killed returned in triumph ?

Of course Sarsefield was a jackeen…

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

Weird that they waited until after the election to release this. It would have lost him some votes for sure.

https://www.ontheditch.com/limerick-mayor-rental-income/

That blogger probably didn't even know about the election until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don’t know how people didn’t know this. He regularly posted this on his socials and even opened it for a public viewing to show what can be done in Georgian Limerick. I don’t see much wrong with it. At least he’s providing rental accommodation (albeit at a premium) when there is SFA going on in town. Shineline which did a load of work on older buildings around town has let them all to the council or housing bodies for homeless people. How are the likes of young professionals ever going to get places to live if there’s no landlords developing properties for the private market rental?

I’m an educated, well paid 30 something year old back in their childhood bedroom cos I can’t find somewhere to live in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Has anyone read the local election round-up article on RTE? Looks like it was written by ChatGPT or similar. All the independents have been assigned to the National Party!

Should I be preparing to go into exile? Or is there a resistance movement I can join to fight against the fascist takeover?

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2024/2024/0612/1454295-limerick/

You don't see much wrong with charging €1400 a month for a room, yet you are back home living with your parents?

He was on the radio only this morning complaining about how the cost of rents are a deterant to people in Limerick. It screams hypocrisy if you ask me.

He is in now so that mean we have to keep a closer eye on where that budget goes. Let's see if he fulfils all those promises he made along the campaign trail (there were a lot!) or if it was hot air just to get the chain and to line his and his friends pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I see an issue with the cost but the market is dictating that and at least with JM, he has contributed to supply. €1400 is ridiculous but so is €600-800 for a room in a house in Dooradoyle.

We had Rudi Butler develop a handful of luxury apartments on Bishops Quay and they’ve been snapped up for the tech sector.

Landlords don't have to charge exorbitant amounts just because they can. There are plenty of landlords around Limerick who are renting out rooms and houses for prices that are reasonable, but their tenants tend to stay put because they can afford to stay.

Yes the supply is short but why is that? And could John Moran have contributed to that in his roles in the Department of Finance and in the LDA?

Again. It is the hypocrisy of calling out expensive rents when he is contributing to it that would irk people. We shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and go "but others are doing it", he is Mayor now and there should be a level of transparency in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

When landlords charge below market rates it is usually so they can be selective with tenants and retain good tenants. There is often an unspoken understanding that the tenants will stay on, be zero maintenance and the landlord leaves the rents low. A lot of tenants with low rents will maintain the property themselves.

I myself was a tenant in that situation. Never asked the landlord for anything and the rent stayed under 60% of the market rate. The last year we were there we asked them to address a few things and (as we expected) the rent went up 17%.

There is no grounds to say JM is a hypocrite. He has not been criticizing landlords for charging market rates or property developers. I do think there is a conflict of interest here alright, but I do buy into the notion that he is motivated to become mayor by a genuine desire to better Limerick, so I would be very surprised and disappointed if it seemed like his decisions in that position were compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

and to line his and his friends pockets.

Well isn't that what a lobbyist does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

The sooner rent caps are abandoned, the sooner we have developers and landlords coming back into the market . Government policy in the housing market is fuelling the crisis. If more developer landlords like the Mayor ( although he is obviously a very wealthy man anyway, lawyer , banker , head of finance, boards of this and that and major player in fruit bar industry etc) felt that investment could yield a decent return, then down the line , plumbers , electricians and plasterers and window cleaners would be encouraged home from OZ to work for these developers , thus increasing supply.Its simple Adam Smith stuff but something Marks Carling cant get his head around. . The new chief has a plan to build thousands and thousands of cosy modular flat pack starter homes on brownfield sites in Limerick. Once this happens, rents will plummet. Limerick is on a winner with this chap. Fair winds and following seas to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

What do rich landlords have in common with the ordinary people of Limerick city and county ? … will John Moran be just worried about making himself and a few of his buddies very rich for the coming term ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You'd swear he'd clicked his fingers and the building renovated itself. He will have bought the building and paid a pretty high price to get it renovated. He won't be making anything like €15k a month after he covers the borrowings, the tax he pays on the income, insurance, property tax etc.

He'll know exactly how expensive it is to build in Limerick because he's done it and he now has some authority to put his ideas of how to do it cheaper into action.

Advertisement