Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How (shal)low can you go - wheels on aero frame

Options
  • 24-05-2019 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Aesthetically speaking. How shallow can you go in terms of rim depth on an aero bike without ruining the aero look?

Because modern carbon clinchers avoid the shiny aluminium rim look, the tyre sort of forms part of the overall wheel depth, so could you get away with a 30mm rim?
    It's failed me find pics on the web if anyone has any pics if not opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is 'ruining the aero look' not a good thing?
    speaking as someone who does not find deep section rims aesthetically pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I put a set of Edco 30mms on a Noah SL. Full carbon U shape wheels so it looked okay and acceptable.
    But they looked crap on my Noah FAST so it really depends on the actual frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As above it does depend on the bike. I think you're talking about an S5 which is as aero as they come so 30-40mm I'd say after that it just looks like you're out on your training wheels and saving the aero race wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

The original wheels on my system 6 where 35mm and looked way crapper than the 50mm I replaced them with. Has to be at least 50mm imho. Conversely, something with traditional geometry and narrow tubing shouldn't have anything more than 35mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's the wife's aeroad. Yeah I think ye're right. I was looking at ffwd f3r's 30mm but I don't think they're gonna cut mustard. I think you gotta go 40+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The aeroad deffo need a min of 50's in full carbon!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

One with standard albeit very good wheels and they don't look terrible but deeper would be better.

NjRjMTlkNDZiMDA3ZTE3Zjk2MjVkYWMxODIwYjM1YzgFGlx9dCwQcJ6VdH3RIoj5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ1MzE0ODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    One with standard albeit very good wheels and they don't look terrible but deeper would be better.

NjRjMTlkNDZiMDA3ZTE3Zjk2MjVkYWMxODIwYjM1YzgFGlx9dCwQcJ6VdH3RIoj5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ1MzE0ODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Don't forget leg wheel day.

Leg-Day-STACK-.jpg

Advertisement