Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman is WOKE!

• 25-05-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok see this trailer of a new series about Batwoman.

Ok Batwoman, that's cool. I can get in to that.

But I have a feeling if you reversed the roles here it would not go unremarked on :pac:

Let's say Batwoman ran away to leave Gotham fend for itself.

And then Batman found Batwoman's cave and decided "I need you to fix her suit" to which a female butler replies "but it's perfection" and Batman says "It will be when it fits a MAN!"

And at the end Batman says "I'm not about to let a woman take credit for a man's work"

To blaring background music - "I'm a MANNNNN!!!"

Not all men are bad. We do have our uses. Also the ironing of that line about not taking credit for a woman's work is delicious

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

battywoman

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Chozer youz3r name

is Barbara Gordon all grown up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Moved to TV forum in 3... 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But I have a feeling if you reversed the roles here it would not go unremarked on :pac:

The roles as they are in that movie would have gone unremarked upon too had you not remarked upon them and drawn attention to that awful shìte. It’s almost like you’re more woke than the most woke :pac:

Meh, I remember the consternation caused by the codpieces in the Batman and Robin movie, Chris O’ Donnell’s was bigger... apparently (I wasn’t looking that closely :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Possibly the most unnatural dialogue ever.

“The suit is literal perfection”

“It will be... When it fits a woman”

Who the hell talks like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The pink pound has dried up and now it's about getting some of that pandering pound.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Can't wait to see the trailer for Wonderman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

All them action sound effects makes me think of a Bollywood film, and that mask looks so stupid on her. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

DelaneyIn wrote: »

Can't stand unrealistic dialogue in films about people who dress up as animals and fight crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its Batma'am thank you veeeery much!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

RWCNT wrote: »
    Can't stand unrealistic dialogue in films about people who dress up as animals and fight crime.

I sense sarcasm here, but Raging Bull, considered a great film by many, is about a horse that becomes a professional boxer and that had very believable dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

RWCNT wrote: »

I'm all for great female protagonists, but this dialouge was literally "I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN I'M A WOMAN BTW I'M A WOMAN." It's just an empty puppet used for a political statement. The creators need to look at WonderWoman to see a good example. The original Batwoman is an amazing character. This is just cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Can't wait to see the trailer for Wonderman

Or He-Woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

What a ridiculous thing to get upset about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DelaneyIn wrote: »

Bad writers seeking to write sermons of whatever their faith is rather than dialogue, supported by investors jumping onto whatever bandwagon they think will return the most cash. Plus it appears to be aimed at the kids market, particularly young girls so that's part of it. I caught an episode of Supergirl(I think they're from the same crowd?) once and thought it pretty daft, but then quickly realised, oh wait, I'm not a 10 year old girl, it's not aimed at me so big deal. Complaining about it would be like me dissecting Peppa Pig for its lack of realism.

It's not helped by an actress so awful it's puzzling why she gets so promoted. More of the "woke" stuff I suppose? We got a gender fluid, tatted up lesbian with more publicly declared neurosis's than a Woody Allen flic who's in the papers all the time. She can't act? Who cares, she'll bring in some demographic or other. They jammed her into a John Wick film and to minimise her woodenness made her a deaf mute. Even then the scenery had more personality.

I suppose this stuff and that captain marvel thing is kinda like a currently popular "feminist" rehash of the roided up daftly wooden muscle heads that were popular in the 80's? Yer Jean Claude Van Damme's weren't going to be doing Hamlet anytime soon. :D Though at least Arnie tried to play it for laughs a lot of the time.

I'm not sure of what their Message™ is though. Going by that it seems it's a woman can't make anything of her own, instead she steals a man's idea, reputation and property and claims it all for herself. OK... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bad writers seeking to write sermons of whatever their faith is rather than dialogue, supported by investors jumping onto whatever bandwagon they think will return the most cash. Plus it appears to be aimed at the kids market, particularly young girls so that's part of it. I caught an episode of Supergirl(I think they're from the same crowd?) once and thought it pretty daft, but then quickly realised, oh wait, I'm not a 10 year old girl, it's not aimed at me so big deal. Complaining about it would be like me dissecting Peppa Pig for its lack of realism.

It's not helped by an actress so awful it's puzzling why she gets so promoted. More of the "woke" stuff I suppose? We got a gender fluid, tatted up lesbian with more publicly declared neurosis's than a Woody Allen flic who's in the papers all the time. She can't act? Who cares, she'll bring in some demographic or other. They jammed her into a John Wick film and to minimise her woodenness made her a deaf mute. Even then the scenery had more personality.

I suppose this stuff and that captain marvel thing is kinda like a currently popular "feminist" rehash of the roided up daftly wooden muscle heads that were popular in the 80's? Yer Jean Claude Van Damme's weren't going to be doing Hamlet anytime soon. :D Though at least Arnie tried to play it for laughs a lot of the time.

I'm not sure of what their Message™ is though. Going by that it seems it's a woman can't make anything of her own, instead she steals a man's idea, reputation and property and claims it all for herself. OK... :D

This seems to be a running theme in Hollywood these days...if the amount of "woke" reboots are anything to go by, they are all flopping, it seems it wasn't misogyny holding these feminists back...it was a complete lack of creativity and decent scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

MrFresh wrote: »

Right on cue, well done you. Now you just need to learn the difference between someone being upset and someone calmly pointing out hypocrisy.

MrFresh wrote: »

Don't think people are upset at all. More like they just think it's silly. It's patronising and oh so very dull. And that actress is really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hobosan wrote: »
    I sense sarcasm here, but Raging Bull, considered a great film by many, is about a horse that becomes a professional boxer and that had very believable dialogue.

It was actually a cow that became a professional boxer but they used horses for filming because cows don't look like cows on film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Zorya wrote: »

I thought they might have ripped that scene straight out of Terminator because they figured the audience wouldn’t be old enough to remember, it would give the movie some semblance of originality. But then I realised it was more likely to be “woke humour”...

It’s not even upsetting, it just doesn’t make any sense :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hopefully it will be a success.

Are they planning on making a Ghostbusters 2?

I thought they might have ripped that scene straight out of Terminator because they figured the audience wouldn’t be old enough to remember, it would give the movie some semblance of originality. But then I realised it was more likely to be “woke humour”...

It’s not even upsetting, it just doesn’t make any sense :(

To be honest I have some inkling it is a deleted scene (not sure on that)...but nonetheless it is indicative of the ''mood board'', shall we say. It also has ''The Don'' :rolleyes: oh you clever people. And then it fncks the message up with some really bad driving at the end :pac:

The amount of Netflx stuff I have switched off after 15 minutes in the past few months because I am so fricking weary of being lectured. It's a bore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This seems to be a running theme in Hollywood these days...if the amount of "woke" reboots are anything to go by, they are all flopping, it seems it wasn't misogyny holding these feminists back...it was a complete lack of creativity and decent scripts.
    I agree on the lack of creativity and decent scripts, but I'd say that's across the board, not just the "woke" stuff, though it creeps in everywhere. QV the last two Star Wars outings. Yeah there was the "woke" stuff, but more than that they were appallingly badly written(one a cynical near scene for scene remake, the other a clatter of bad pacing and plot). But they got bums on seats because of the brand. The Star Wars/Marvel juggernauts near guarantee big returns no matter what bilge they put on the screen. The fan buy in is so strong and the comic con announcements are like Triumph of the Will for nerds. The ghostbusters flic died a death alright, but IIRC the all woman cast Oceans whatever number they're up to now turned a good profit(and fair enough as it didn't have the comic book stuff to support it). Captain Marvel ditto.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

"I'm not about to let a man take credit for a woman's work"

Coming from the chick that has literally broken into the bat-cave and stolen all of Batman's $h1t, including his costume? That's Alanis Morisette levels of understanding of the word ironic.

Why are SJW's always all about demanding unearned recognition?

This crap is clearly outrage marketing. It's the two articles for the price of one premise. One article about the trailer and the second wailing about the hostile reaction from man-babies that they deliberately provoked with antagonistic clickbait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    So you're saying a woke tv show is "problematic" with regard to how it portrays women?

Wibbs confirmed as "ultra woke". :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why do US shows write such unlikeable lead characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

That ‘when it fits a woman line’ - I thought women were all shapes and sizes and we are no longer encouraging body shaming and should accept women for what they were? Or is she referring to a stereotypical woman shape that all women should be aspiring to? (presumably meaning her own body shape since she plans to wear it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Not majorly sold on the trailer but more because I'm a bit jaded with the genre. But worth pointing out that the OP would likely say the same about Doom Patrol. But it's easily one of the best shows of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You can’t have batwoman without man in it.

Advertisement