Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman is WOKE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Maybe turn Superman into a transgender Muslim.

Not just yet but they are working on towards it

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-everyone-wants-michael-b-jordan-to-be-the-next-superman.html/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

People want escapism when they watch movies/tv shows, not to be indoctrinated...

Imagine if the Catholic Church insisted that our movies and tv shows or video games needed to reflect Catholic ideologies we'd be up in arms...the worst they did was ban things.

What will be interesting is where this culture will go, strong independent women who are possibly lesbian outsmarting/outperforming toxic white men has a very limited appeal and is as creatively one dimensional as it gets.

What harm, the best male writers/movie producers also gave us the best female lead characters, why won't they reboot Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Jackie Brown, Fargo, True Grit etc..because they can't improve the female lead characters, wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Jimmy Olsen isn't black.

Pointing out hypocrisy isn't being triggered.
    That's what most (if not all) are doing. No "triggering". Just a case of "here we go again".

It does seem weird that you would enjoy people getting "triggered" over race and sexuality though. It is a little odd. Do you only love it when it happens to white straight people or do you love when you see people triggered when pointing out hypocrisy against minorities too?

Does Jimmy being black suddenly result in some breaking of the character? Comics regularly change their characters in drastic ways, skin colour is pretty tame. Thor was briefly a frog for a while. I imagine how they chose him to play Olsen is simply that he was the best choice for the role and who cares what skin colour he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

batgoat wrote: »
    Does Jimmy being black suddenly result in some breaking of the character? Comics regularly change their characters in drastic ways, skin colour is pretty tame. Thor was briefly a frog for a while. I imagine how they chose him to play Olsen is simply that he was the best choice for the role and who cares what skin colour he has.

Sounds like you would have been okay with a white person playing Kunta Kinte in the 2016 Roots remake - if he had been the best choice for the role...cool. Would love to have seen that remake. :)

What harm, the best male writers/movie producers also gave us the best female lead characters, why won't they reboot Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Jackie Brown, Fargo, True Grit etc..because they can't improve the female lead characters, wonder why?

Even those men are now getting attacked, a man who brought you the bride in Kill Bill. Jackie Brown,Bridget von Hammersmark (Inglorious Ba$tards)

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-48384763/quentin-tarantino-rejects-hypothesis-on-margot-robbie

It's killing off any sort of creativity in an already dying industry (from a creative standpoint at least and the non blockbuster movies)

• Advertisement

Sounds like you would have been okay with a white person playing Kunta Kinte in the 2016 Roots remake - if he had been the best choice for the role...cool. Would love to have seen that remake. :)

Did you ignore how I pointed out how race has literally no impact upon the character of Olsen....

Did you ignore how I pointed out how race has literally no impact upon the character of Olsen....

That is a no then, sounds like you are triggered again.

That is a no then, sounds like you are triggered again.
    I'm just viewing it from a sensible perspective. Meanwhile you're actively avoiding part of my point. :)

batgoat wrote:

There has been multiple cases of people/media outlets being up in arms when a white person is cast as someone who was originally written as non white,despite their ethnicity not being important or changing the character.

Why do you think the media only sees it as important or impact on a character when they are changed from white to something else and not vice versa.

Could you imagine the backlash?

B] I imagine how they chose him to play Olsen is simply that he was the best choice for the role and who cares what skin colour he has.[/B]

Unfortunately these days it's not that simple seems like there is a checklist of social issues that have to be addressed

The Sabrina the teenage witch Netflix show is an example of forcing the transgender issue for the sake of it

Beauty and the Beast had to push the Gaston sexuality angle despite it going against the narrative of the original

This social issues are being shoehorned in without furthering the narrative in any meaningful way and many of these shows/films spend so much time doing these to please the masses that it takes away from character development elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I'm just viewing it from a sensible perspective. Meanwhile you're actively avoiding part of my point. :)

No, you have accused multiple posters of being triggered, you are clearly hysterical and need to calm down before you do yourself harm.

KSU wrote: »
    Unfortunately these days it's not that simple seems like there is a checklist of social issues that have to be addressed

The Sabrina the teenage witch Netflix show is an example of forcing the transgender issue for the sake of it

Beauty and the Beast had to push the Gaston sexuality angle despite it going against the narrative of the remake

This social issues are being shoehorned in without furthering the narrative in any meaningful way and many of these shows/films spend so much time doing these to please the masses that it takes away from character development elsewhere.

I'm actually a big fan of the Sabrina show and think they did a great job with the transgender plotline. The show is a show for teens and they invariably deal with teenage issues. So it would appear you're getting upset about a tv show that targets its demographic.
    No, you have accused multiple posters of being triggered, you are clearly hysterical and need to calm down before you do yourself harm.

You're getting pretty irritated. It genuinely does appear that you and others are getting very upset about pretty mundane things. I haven't accused anyone of being triggered in thread btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'll be giving that a miss... There's enough SJW crap in that trailer to be a turn off for a lot of people, I get that they wanna have a strong kick ass female character , but it should be done naturally , like they do in game of thrones. And getting the lesbian/ interracial relationship is getting two birds with the one stone in wokeness aswell

I'm actually a big fan of the Sabrina show and think they did a great job with the transgender plotline. The show is a show for teens and they invariably deal with teenage issues. So it would appear you're getting upset about a tv show that targets its demographic.

You're getting pretty irritated. It genuinely does appear that you and others are getting very upset about pretty mundane things. I haven't accused anyone of being triggered in thread btw.

Who is irritated, I will never watch this just like I haven’t watched these superfluous female remakes. You are okay with white characters being changed to black for no reason, are you as okay with black characters being changed to white for no reason?

Not quite sure how making a point is getting upset.

Whether transgenderism in teens and the ramifications of hormone blockers on someones development is something you ethically feel should be included in a teenage program is a conversation for another time.

For the point of the story the transgender issue is shoehorned in and doesn't lead to any sort storyline or character development. It was a character which did not appear in the source material and serves no real purpose other than pushing an agenda (other than maybe padding out episodes)

KSU wrote: »
    Not quite sure how making a point is getting upset.

Whether transgenderism in teens and the ramifications of hormone blockers on someones development is something ethically feel should be included in a teenage program is a conversation for another time.

For the point of the story the transgender issue is shoehorned in and doesn't lead to any sort storyline or character development. It was a character which did not appear in the source material and serves no real purpose other than pushing an agenda (other than maybe padding out episodes)

It's a show where they follow a Church of Satan but you're concerned about discussing trangender people... Not to spoil it on anyone but it led to lots of character development. Also in general, the show is really popular. So clearly it is appealing to its market. It's more that you're not happy that it doesn't conform to your views which is an entirely different issue.

batgoat wrote:
    It's a show where they follow a Church of Satan but you're concerned about discussing trangender people... Not to spoil it on anyone but it led to lots of character development.

Haha Jesus. I'm well out of the loop. I still thought it was Melissa Joan harte and Salem the cat living with her two aunts.

I'll give this one a miss so. Definitely not aimed at me.

:)

It's a show where they follow a Church of Satan but you're concerned about discussing trangender people... Not to spoil it on anyone but it led to lots of character development. Also in general, the show is really popular. So clearly it is appealing to its market. It's more that you're not happy that it doesn't conform to your views which is an entirely different issue.

Your missing the point. what I am saying is it's an industry that is pandering to those wanting to push a social agenda. Ultimately this is stifling creativity.

I just cite that show as an example.

Much like the social outrage when Matt Damon was cast as a Mongolian (The Great Wall) or Scarlet Johansson was cast as a Japanese Anime character and being dubbed as white washing yet applaud Beauty and the Beast for it's culturally diverse upper class (despite it being set in a time of slavery in 1700s France)

Choices are being made at a level that is in no way driven by the creativity but rather what will piss people off the least so that they can tell story as best they can within the confines of modern day social shackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Matt Damon wasn't meant to be asian, he and the other lad were European searching for gunpowder. People were angry that a white actor was lead in it all.

This will be as bad as Supergirl.

Stopped watching that right during an episode, you had a character talking about how terrible it must be for the Martian manhunter to be black (shapeshifter choosing to be black) in America ( as opposed to mars where the rest of his race got kill in a genocide including wife and kids). They have their message and anything resembling a plot is second to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There was the usual moaning when the actor playing Elton John in the recent Biopic wasn't gay also.

Guess some people don't get what the concept of acting is about.

• Advertisement

There was the usual moaning when the actor playing Elton John in the recent Biopic wasn't gay also.

Guess some people don't get what the concept of acting is about.

Nonsense they need to be true to the characters just look at Aladdin, how dare they cast a black guy to play a blue genie :mad::mad::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I must be missing something - the trailer looked fine to me.

I must be missing something - the trailer looked fine to me.

I'd give it another watch if I was you. Terrible dialogue with sexist overtones, terrible acting... I actually struggle to see anything decent in it.

I am not sure what audience they are aiming for but it seems a little tone deaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

I'd give it another watch if I was you. Terrible dialogue with sexist overtones, terrible acting... I actually struggle to see anything decent in it.

I am not sure what audience they are aiming for but it seems a little tone deaf.

The first minute of the trailer looked pure ****e altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

2nd All girl ghostbusters isn't returning judging by the comments from Leslie Jones who played a poor stereotype in the 1st one

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/leslie-jones-slams-new-ghostbusters-film-like-something-trump-would-do-1177578

Not surprised. Apparently when the original movies were being made an all girl ghostbusters was in the works

Except Kunta Kinte is black and is written as that. Jimmy Olsen ain't a huge difference but you know that.

Except Kunta Kinte is black and is written as that. Jimmy Olsen ain't a huge difference but you know that.

James Bond is white and written as that but that doesn't stop people clamouring for the first black James Bond.

Who is irritated, I will never watch this just like I haven’t watched these superfluous female remakes. You are okay with white characters being changed to black for no reason, are you as okay with black characters being changed to white for no reason?

The character of Jimmy Olsen a character on a comic book his color has nothing to do with him and if they wanted to do the same with any character then so be it.

However the character is written in there bio as white black LGBQ+ big or small or whatever and then changed yes I would have a problem. Example Jack Reacher. So please tell me what does having him black do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Idris Elba played Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower movie.
    A character whose appearance and description is integral to the whole mythos of that particular story
    A character who is meant to look very much like a young Clint Eastwood, played by Elba.

Totally political correctness rather than risky story telling.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Idris Elba played Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower movie.
    A character whose appearance and description is integral to the whole mythos of that particular story
    A character who is meant to look very much like a young Clint Eastwood, played by Elba.

Totally political correctness rather than risky story telling.

Ironically Matthew McConaghey would have actually been the better choice for that role as far as the looks go (and I think this is probably evident in comments made by King around the actors)

Advertisement