Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are people assholes on public transport?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I use the Dublin bus and Luas on a regular basis and I find that most people on public transport are actually very polite and courteous.

There is the odd scumbag creating a scene on the Luas red line and a couple of ignorant passengers on the bus now and then but by and large, people are polite.

The one thing though is the looking into phones or out the window - but never directly at other passengers. It's sort of being in a crowd but keeping very much to yourself.

The ones looking out the window are looking at you in the reflection wondering "What's that oddball looking at?" Swings and roundabouts..

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I don’t understand why people talking on their phones on PT annoys some people in and of itself. I only find it annoying if they are being loud or have put the call on loudspeaker which is always loud.

Phones on public transport are usually more annoying for two reasons:

A) you are 'trapped' listening to the conversation, unless and until you reach your stop, or they do. This loss of control, feeling like you are forced to listen to one side of a conversation, really gets some peoples goats.

B) There has been some research done on social cues in relation to this sort of thing - if you are having a conversation with someone, when you speak your brain starts to prepare a list of the most likely replies, which helps you in planning out the conversation.

This feels 'natural' as you are hearing both sides on the conversation, but a stranger's phone call, you are only hearing one side of it and some people are wired to find that distracting/irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

A) you are 'trapped' listening to the conversation, unless and until you reach your stop, or they do. This loss of control, feeling like you are forced to listen to one side of a conversation, really gets some peoples goats.

B) There has been some research done on social cues in relation to this sort of thing - if you are having a conversation with someone, when you speak your brain starts to prepare a list of the most likely replies, which helps you in planning out the conversation.

This feels 'natural' as you are hearing both sides on the conversation, but a stranger's phone call, you are only hearing one side of it and some people are wired to find that distracting/irritating.

Was forced to listen to this extremely irritating woman discuss her very complicated "open relationships" sex life recently all the way from Connolly to Dun Laoghaire. In theory it sounds great fun, but it was anything but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I’ve no problem with anyone using their phone on public transport as long as they aren’t yelling. It’s no different to two people having a conversation at a reasonable volume. I don’t understand why people talking on their phones on PT annoys some people in and of itself. I only find it annoying if they are being loud or have put the call on loudspeaker which is always loud.

People with colds sniffling and coughing does annoy me but I’m aware that that’s unfair because people can’t help that. I’ve had colds where I couldn’t control the coughing and sniffling, no matter how much I tried. All I could do was cover my nose and mouth.

Some people don't always realize how loud they are on the phone. Sometimes I'm like this myself but then again it's rare enough I would use my phone on public transportation unless it's something very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That’s interesting enough. I still find it very precious to get annoyed at anyone talking into their phone on public transport even if they’re speaking low. Plus, I bet every single person who finds it annoying has done it themselves more than once. I wouldn’t believe anyone who claimed otherwise, tbh. I use public transport a lot and only loudness annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could be worse - he could be one of the assholes that watch videos while driving around the city, sometimes while holding the phone in the hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Omackeral wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the Luas is great. Firstly, it's free. It's convenient too as it rolls past St James Hospital to sort out various diseases, the 4 courts for cases and then city centre to hassle people and get drugs. Phenomenal service.

I used to get the red line Luas 10 years ago. I left a job as I could not cope with it and had not been on since.

The weekend, I was going to an event and parking was a pain and I did not really know where I was going, so said I'd use parking and take the luas.

Journey into town, fine.

Returning and just passing James Hospital and I hear a kerfuffle and raised voices.

It was a woman in her sixties and she just kept shouting

"ye black, ye black" at a young black lad sitting on the Luas minding his own business, not even looking at her.

"Your a black" she said to him. He said "I'm black, you're white," He was very calm and trying to laugh it off.

She kept shouting "black, ye black, ye black, you should only be given a bowl of rice".

I was getting to the point where someone was going to have to say something and away she legs it at Fatima or the one beside it still shouting about the bowl of rice.

I went down the tram and said to the lad, I'm sorry I did cop on in time and video that horrible woman, you should not have to put up with that.

He said, "thank you, I never saw her before" He also said he gets that type of thing all the time.

Absolutely horrible.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

anewme wrote: »
    I used to get the red line Luas 10 years ago. I left a job as I could not cope with it and had not been on since.

The weekend, I was going to an event and parking was a pain and I did not really know where I was going, so said I'd use parking and take the luas.

Journey into town, fine.

Returning and just passing James Hospital and I hear a kerfuffle and raised voices.

It was a woman in her sixties and she just kept shouting

"ye black, ye black" at a young black lad sitting on the Luas minding his own business, not even looking at her.

"Your a black" she said to him. He said "I'm black, you're white," He was very calm and trying to laugh it off.

She kept shouting "black, ye black, ye black, you should only be given a bowl of rice".

I was getting to the point where someone was going to have to say something and away she legs it at Fatima or the one beside it still shouting about the bowl of rice.

I went down the tram and said to the lad, I'm sorry I did cop on in time and video that horrible woman, you should not have to put up with that.

He said, "thank you, I never saw her before" He also said he gets that type of thing all the time.

Absolutely horrible.

That generation really needs to die soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s the ‘I CAN therefore I AM’ brigade. There is probably some smug satisfaction involved. You can pick up a cheap set of headphones for a tenner, probably a set given with the device. Though as i said in another thread 2019 is the year of the attention seeker. It’s really a personality trend which I fûcking despise in people....bring your phone, enjoy your movie or songs or whatsapping your mother...I or anyone else don’t want to hear you, see you or have anything to do with your sound footprint...be a reasonable human being and BE QUIET !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sk8erboii wrote: »
    That generation really needs to die soon.

It's not a generational problem. It's a problem of someone with limited education, ignorance and who probably has never ventured more than 10 miles from where they live.

anewme wrote: »

Absolutely horrible.
    The general advice given in the UK and US where these attacks have become more frequent is to engage the target in chat like they're your old friend. Don't confront the attacker, just chat away to the target. It distracts the attacker and makes it seem that the target isn't alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

You can't beat dropping a killer SBD on the bus in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Over here some bus companies have the driver make an announcement at the start requesting that phone calls are kept to a minimum as well as other devices out of respect to other passengers. This is very much appreciated!

Paying more on Amtrak if you find the Quiet Car it is bliss.

At home Bus Eireann still insist on playing RTE radio for the whole journey. Mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Over here some bus companies have the driver make an announcement at the start requesting that phone calls are kept to a minimum as well as other devices out of respect to other passengers. This is very much appreciated!

At home Bus Eireann still insist on playing RTE radio for the whole journey. Mind boggling.

No idea how drivers are let get away with this.

If they want to play the radio in the drivers area that's fine, but don;t force the rest of the bus to listen to you're choice of radio.It's unbelievably poor service and just plain bad manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Got the Salthill bus to town in Galway one morning and the bus driver was a pleasant chap, the music he was playing was excellent, blues and cool downtempo jazz, why can't they all follow his example, that was a pleasant morning commute. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

And then you have the other clowns on mta subway

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Why don't multimillionaires use public transport?

Same reasons as why they don't live in Finglas West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was on the Luas today and the asshole quota was limited to a couple of skangers shouting into their phones, as if the excellent technology a centimetre from their mouths wasnt able to pick up and transmit their conversation, so we got to hear aaaaaaaaalllllllll about one woman's desire to get her sister to text her her medical card number, as she was about to get off in Jamezizizz to attend a clinic. Another genius was shouting, very loudly, down his phone to his mate to meet him at Jervis Street to score. The only surprise was that Drew Harris didnt hear it all the way from the Phoenix Park because the other 50-odd people in the carriage heard it, you ****ing twat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

What about the opening /closing of windows on Dublin Bus
    I was on a Dublin Bus early Friday morning sitting upstairs.
    This guy gets on and before he sits down, he reaches above 4/5 people and opens up the windows above them.
    WTF ..How can some people be so completely ignorant.
    Maybe those people dont want a cold draft of air coming in on top of them!
    Needless to say no one said anything to him.

What about the opening /closing of windows on Dublin Bus
    I was on a Dublin Bus early Friday morning sitting upstairs.
    This guy gets on and before he sits down, he reaches above 4/5 people and opens up the windows above them.
    WTF ..How can some people be so completely ignorant.
    Maybe those people dont want a cold draft of air coming in on top of them!
    Needless to say no one said anything to him.
    This was on one of the warmest days of the year so far, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

tcawley29 wrote: »
    And then you have the other clowns on mta subway

If not packed you can move cars on the subway and luas to get away from these ignorant losers.

Advertisement