Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investigation into discovery of garda’s body on Co Mayo road

Options
  • 25-05-2019 2:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

An investigation has begun after the body of a garda was found on the roadside close to his home in Swinford, Co Mayo, last night.

John McCallion (48) had been on a leisure cycle before his body was found beside his bicycle.

A postmortem is due to be carried out at Mayo University Hospital on Saturday to determine whether the death was an accident or due to from injuries sustained in a road traffic collision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/investigation-into-discovery-of-garda-s-body-on-co-mayo-road-1.3904620

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Poor John, he had a suspected heart attack and fell from his bike. He died from his injuries.

He was training for Mizen to Malin which we are doing in September.

He was a brother of Garda Robbie McCallion who died in the line of duty in Letterkeny 10 years ago.

The Mizen to Malin cycle was in memory of his brother Robbie and Gary McLoughlin who also died in the line of duty in Donegal ten years ago.

Rest in peace John.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's just terrible news. I was thinking I recognised the name, Swinford is not far from my home place.
    RIP John

Poor man, 48 is young. :(

Advertisement