Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new iphone xs max - must have's / do's

Options
  • 25-05-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

just starting to set up a new xs max - anything i must or should do, have or get with/for it?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

ablelocks wrote: »
    just starting to set up a new xs max - anything i must or should do, have or get with/for it?

thanks

I put an Apple silicon case and screen cover on mine. First for both in quite some time, I hate covering the phone up but it’s so big and slippy! And I drop things. So glass front and back is a no go with protection for Dave. Also that slippiness lets it slip out of your pocket handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Don't waste money on the apple cases. I used to do it and switched the one below the last time. It's excellent and provides a 10ft drop protection and I have dropped mine a few times :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FKB7YX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also get one or two of these wireless chargers...they're excellent
    I use 3 of these around the house/work for charging my phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074QGFDMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Blazer wrote: »
    Don't waste money on the apple cases. I used to do it and switched the one below the last time. It's excellent and provides a 10ft drop protection and I have dropped mine a few times :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FKB7YX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also get one or two of these wireless chargers...they're excellent
    I use 3 of these around the house/work for charging my phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074QGFDMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thing I like about the apple cases is the grip they provide after a little use.

I forgot about the wireless chargers! They’re great to have! ESR have a great one, really solid for about 16 euro. Although it’s not that quick but suffice for over night charging.

I found the case excellent for grip.
    Yeah the ones I linked to are 15 watt chargers but iphones are limited to 7.5watts.
    I think Apple updated the XS max to allow 10 watts though.
    I found these excellent and have been running them for the past 6 months with zero issues.
    Also don't forget the wireless car charger :)
    In fact I was able to get all these items for the price of one Apple case.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G55DJRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks everyone, hadn't thought about a wireless car charger so added to the list!

• Advertisement

Have a built in wireless charger in my car but the lack of wireless car play means you still have to plug it in which is very annoying. Generally on the commute etc I just use the wireless charger but in longer trips plug in for CarPlay.

Have a built in wireless charger in my car but the lack of wireless car play means you still have to plug it in which is very annoying. Generally on the commute etc I just use the wireless charger but in longer trips plug in for CarPlay.

I had forgotten about CarPlay.

So which is better - being able to wirelessly charge or being able to use CarPlay?

My old car didn't have it, the new one I'm getting later this week does. I could still cancel the order for the wireless charger...

Being able to use carplay definitely trumps wireless charging.
    does it also charge while using carplay?

am i right in thinking that if I have a wireless charger and plug in the phone to the USB for carplay, that the wired charge will take over from the wireless and that there'd be no damage to phone or it's battery?

ablelocks wrote: »
    am i right in thinking that if I have a wireless charger and plug in the phone to the USB for carplay, that the wired charge will take over from the wireless and that there'd be no damage to phone or it's battery?

well just don't plug in the wireless charger? :)

• Advertisement

well just don't plug in the wireless charger? :)

It’s actually a good question, as I said I’ve a build in wireless charger in the car in the Centre console that can’t be turned off it’s the ideal place for leaving the phone but when I’m connected by wire for CarPlay I’m relutant to leave the phone on the wireless charger so I put it into the armrest which is a bit akward for getting at the phone when you want to etc and it falls around a bit in there.

good point..I thought you were using a wireless dock.
    Yeah I wonder if you can disable the wireless charge in the settings..
    I know you can do carplay wirelessly in the last year or two.....can you car do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It’s actually a good question, as I said I’ve a build in wireless charger in the car in the Centre console that can’t be turned off it’s the ideal place for leaving the phone but when I’m connected by wire for CarPlay I’m relutant to leave the phone on the wireless charger so I put it into the armrest which is a bit akward for getting at the phone when you want to etc and it falls around a bit in there.
    I’ll have to check but I’m pretty sure that if you have the phone connected via cable that it then won’t also charge wirelessly. So should be fine to leave it there

from my ltd research if it's plugged in to usb for carplay, then the wired charging takes over from the wireless charging, but what i can't find out is does the wireless charger continue to operate and if so, could that be doing damage to the battery or phone?

the car mount i'm looking at is a wireless charger but it also automagically clamps and unclamps the phone so needs to be powered...

just got my new previously owned car yesterday - it doesn't do wireless carplay as far as i know so need to read the instructions and take a look at best positioning of the mount to try and hide cables etc.

good point..I thought you were using a wireless dock.
    Yeah I wonder if you can disable the wireless charge in the settings..
    I know you can do carplay wirelessly in the last year or two.....can you car do that?

I don’t see anyway to use CarPlay wirelessly, I’m assuming it needs a car head unit that supports it rather than just being up to the phone. It’s a pity as I hate having to plug in, I use a wireless charger at home too and the fact the car has a built in wireless charger too is so handy but the lack of CarPlay over Bluetooth is a pain, I don’t use CarPlay half as much as I would due to having to connect by wire.

Advertisement