Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Final Totteham V Liverpool -Saturday 1st June - VM 1/BT Sport 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

This is it wrote: »
    It's what the teams in Europe subscribe to, you'll have to do some word magic to describe the winners of the champions league as anything but champions of Europe.

It’s not a league of champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My point being shouting for six.

I get your point, btw. The only wins I remember are tonight and 2005 - the others don't mean much to me, tbf - just nice as a reference point is all.

Much like the whole Utd (20) vs Pool (18) debate. In all honesty I just remember the 1990 title win and about 10 Utd wins, so they're well ahead in my lifetime.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Isn't it time you changed your username? :-D

It's complicated. Changed on other forums it's less complicated to do so though.

e.g. https://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1099748&postcount=54069

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Garzorico wrote: »

It's the best teams in Europe, including the league winners of the top leagues. The winner being the Champions of Europe, the Champions League winners. The name of the competition is semantics, Liverpool are the Champions of Europe, whether you like it or not

just because uefa call it the ‘champions’ league doesn’t make it so. Neither team have been champion of their own league in I think 50 and 30 years respectively. It’s a knock out cup competition. It’s a nice to have rather than a must have.

The premier league for me and I suspect all Liverpool fans every time.

One hell of a consolation though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Where are your dodgy hips now.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The poorest European final I've witnessed it has to be said. Origi's goal was the best thing about the football but even that paled into insignificance when cast against the good looking streaker, which will be everyone's abiding memory. The hands down highlight was a woman swimming gear.

The rest was downright dour. The game was effectively decided by a penalty that wouldn't be given 9 put of 10 times inside the first minute. Neither team showed anything of the class they had throughout the rest of the competition or season in general.

Spurs were out tacticed by a team with no tactical function whatsoever. They had nearly 70% of the ball and never looked like they knew what to do with it. The biggest surprise was that they managed any shots on target to speak of nevermind having 8 of them.

I've openly praised both of these teams here recently and I have to say this was about as disappointing as it gets in football as a neutral.

The only club match I remember that bored me more was Man Utd v Chelsea in 2013 when Mourinho decided to play for a draw away to David Moyes' headless chicken brigade.

I'm actually livid that I wasted my time watching that utter dross.

Still glad Liverpool won it though. They definitely deserved something from the season even if the UCL was a secondary goal. They might not have been the better team on the night but overall, they were the most deserving so hats off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I dont think you know what the word League means

A lot of people bitch about Pool fans and not wanting to listen to our **** if we win something. But really its people like yourself that make pool fans celebrate so much. I mean do any of your comments even make you feel better? Like saying that Liverpool winning the Champions league means nothing because they arent champions of England. I mean ffs your bringing it on yourself.

Did you at least enjoy Spurs being the best team in London ;)

jurgen-klopp-invades-pitch-and-leaps-into-keepers-arms-1830806304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

just because uefa call it the ‘champions’ league doesn’t make it so. Neither team have been champion of their own league in I think 50 and 30 years respectively. It’s a knock out cup competition. It’s a nice to have rather than a must have.

The premier league for me and I suspect all Liverpool fans every time.

Ha Ha suck it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who is this person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Atleast Klopp wont have to go manage in Switzerland now.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Liverpool aren’t even the champions of their own league never mind champions of Europe.

You'll find that many winners in the last 22 years when the competition was opened up to 2nd place teams originally were not champions of their own league.

Teams have won it prior to that while not winning their own league that same season too, so your point is utterly pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

TheCitizen wrote: »
    When Ireland play like Liverpool did tonight they get slagged off endlessly on here. Liverpool booted the ball long all night safe in their minds that Spurs wouldn’t have the quality or belief to lay a glove on them. That late last gasp goal for Spurs v Ajax robbed us neutrals of a possibly decent Final.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Christ, trying to belittle Liverpool winning the CL because they didn't win the league...how petty do you have to be lads. I'm ****ing disgusted to have lost it, but get over yourselves and just give them the credit they deserve for winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Kiith wrote: »
    Christ, trying to belittle Liverpool winning the CL because they didn't win the league...how petty do you have to be lads. I'm ****ing disgusted to have lost it, but get over yourselves and just give them the credit they deserve for winning it.

Your fans have been brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I absolutely hate Jose Mourinho but he's absolutely spot on, finals aren't for performing in, they're for winning. Harsh on spurs who gave me many heart attacks but we've been there an done it and these lads deserved every bit of tonight.

Champions of Europe, accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I know origi got another goal but looking back at the penalty do we really want them given going forward.

Yes arm not in natural position but no intention and appears to come of chest first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As a neutral - Awful game to watch. On the night Spurs were the better side I thought and deserved more but given the events over the entire season I'm happy that Liverpool won it as while poor tonight they generally have been excellent this season.

Spurs the better side?

I don't know. Never looked remotely like doing anything. Smothered almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

And I've had a great time out here with Spurs fans, credit to their club, with others there'd be no chance of that, too salty to show grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Top marks to the Spurs fans in Madrid

But **** me what a night for us. Just took a break from some random square where we’ve been singing for an hour

I’m 3 sheets

Allez Allez AlleZ

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I know origi got another goal but looking back at the penalty do we really want them given going forward.

Yes arm not in natural position but no intention and appears to come of chest first.

How many handballs are actually intentional? Very very few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

lawred2 wrote: »
    Spurs the better side?

I don't know. Never looked remotely like doing anything. Smothered almost.

Had a fair few chances in the second half. Alli header, Moura in the box, to name two. And Eriksons free. A few others I'm sure. Definitely looked the more dangerous to me but Liverpool took their chances, that's what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Liverpool aren’t even the champions of their own league never mind champions of Europe.

Congratulations, you have won the most ridiculous, sour post of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Had a fair few chances in the second half. Alli header, Moura in the box, to name two. And Eriksons free. A few others I'm sure. Definitely looked the more dangerous to me but Liverpool took their chances, that's what counts.

They never looked like a side capable of taking any of those chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mr.H wrote: »
    I dont think you know what the word League means

A lot of people bitch about Pool fans and not wanting to listen to our **** if we win something. But really its people like yourself that make pool fans celebrate so much. I mean do any of your comments even make you feel better? Like saying that Liverpool winning the Champions league means nothing because they arent champions of England. I mean ffs your bringing it on yourself.

Did you at least enjoy Spurs being the best team in London ;)

jurgen-klopp-invades-pitch-and-leaps-into-keepers-arms-1830806304

Chelsea are top London team this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jaysus some of the posts here are pathetic!

Liverpool deserved that. Got an early goal and knew Spurs couldn't score against them and in all honestly didn't get close in 90 minutes. Hit them with a late goal then to kill the game... it's not attractive but it was effective. 90 odd points in the PL running a fake oil money club close and losing by one point, they deserved a trophy. They're a far better team than Spurs end of. Awful game for the neutral like me to watch but jaysus the sour grapes... Enjoy it pool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

5starpool wrote: »
    How many handballs are actually intentional? Very very few.

OK fair point - can't see where the pass was going to end up but sissoko has blocked the ball with his chest first and then it's popped off his arm.

I used to be a referee and under the old laws which I know have changed I definitely wouldn't have given it (also as a spurs fan that might have influenced me :) )

I think we could see a good few more free penalties if this is enforced.

Anyway shouldn't bring the thread off track. As I said before fair play to Liverpool and a missed opportunity for spurs tonight as Liverpool were not at their usual level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Haha **** the haters we fecking did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not a great game & Liverpool played miles better even in the 3-0 defeat away at Barcelona. Don't think Firmino or Kane were fit to start & the other 20 players probably were cold too.
    The 3 week break is far too long. Both finals this week were a poor advertisement for football.
    UEFA aren't alone to blame for that as the Premier League both started & finished too early this season.

Delighted for Liverpool, that team & Klopp deserved something this season. The man has done some job. He's delivered silverware & I can't wait for the new season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I was hoping Liverpool would win tonight but the longer the game went on spurs deserved extra time at least. Liverpool were cagey and fearful in attack. A shell of the team they can be. They didn't deserve a 2 nil scoreline.
    It was the most disappointing anti climatic final in my lifetime made worse by the June matchday.
    Im finding this YNWA ****e intolerable that Liverpool fans go on with too. The snugness "pool" fans have with the club is beginning to become overbearing. Seems to have mushroomed this season too.

It's the sign of a wanker supporter when YNWA is at the end of texts or posts. As a neutral supporter I can say that you sound less like a true supporter and more like a wanker with a YNWA at the end of a text.

wow. There I was thinking this guy is making good points that I agree with and next blam smack in the face with an insult. A wanker supporter? because I wrote YNWA? I think its past your bed time little fella

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »

Very classy post, fair fecking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Beautiful

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Three weeks is too long a break it was a brutal final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I think we could see a good few more free penalties if this is enforced.
    Only if you have someone with their hand(s) that far out/above their body. It was crazy by Sissoko. Pochettino slumped into his chair, he knew it was a pen. Even the players were halfhearted in their complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Neither side were at their best considering the great games they usually have against each other in the PL.

3 weeks off, stifling heat, injured players not ready, rusty players. It was a bad final but the winners won't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Some people losing their minds in this thread. Gas stuff.

Poor game. The only thing that matters in finals is the final score. Delighted for Klopp and this Liverpool team. Would have been a blow not to win something after their progress in the last few seasons. Now they've broken the seal the pressure is off them to a certain extent.

Thought Alisson was the best player on the pitch. Not a huge amount of competition for that award though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

lawred2 wrote: »
    They never looked like a side capable of taking any of those chances

Liverpool absolutely deserved to win but to say that about a team that knocked out city, Dortmund and came back to win 3-0 against Ajax in the second half is just silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

It's what the teams in Europe subscribe to, you'll have to do some word magic to describe the winners of the champions league as anything but champions of Europe.

Dude, stop punching yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

dmigsy wrote: »
    Dude, stop punching yourself.
    Some people won’t be happy until the Maltese “Champions” get their rightful place back in the upper echelons.

Jaysus some of the posts here are pathetic!

Liverpool deserved that. Got an early goal and knew Spurs couldn't score against them and in all honestly didn't get close in 90 minutes. Hit them with a late goal then to kill the game... it's not attractive but it was effective. 90 odd points in the PL running a fake oil money club close and losing by one point, they deserved a trophy. They're a far better team than Spurs end of. Awful game for the neutral like me to watch but jaysus the sour grapes... Enjoy it pool fans.

LOL and you wouldn't be a little bit biased at all eh? Thought Spurs made a game of it unlike the one sided Europa League final. According to the media Liverpool would have had it all sewn up by half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anyone for a neat jamesion I'm buying,6 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LOL and you wouldn't be a little bit biased at all eh? Thought Spurs made a game of it unlike the one sided Europa League final. According to the media Liverpool would have had it all sewn up by half time.

Honestly, I never saw any of this... just about every pre-match report I saw or listened to had liverpool as slight favourites, but no more than that.

Not a great match, but that doesn't matter. Did what needed to be done, and was so ****in' delighted Divock struck at the end - he's great for those quick touches to find space, and arrow straight lashers into the corner.

European champions again. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Beautiful

YNWA

Fair play to Liverpool, as sickened as I am, they’ve been magnificent this season and probably deserved last night.

But this YNWA is a load of bollocks usually spouted by people who think Liverpool are a “special club”. As I recall last season Karius was very much walking alone after the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Three weeks is too long a break it was a brutal final.

Yeah but if an Italian team made the final, their league only finished last weekend. Unless UEFA can make the Italian FA finish up early, but it wasn't left for 3 weeks for the fun of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fair play to Liverpool, as sickened as I am, they’ve been magnificent this season and probably deserved last night.

But this YNWA is a load of bollocks usually spouted by people who think Liverpool are a “special club”. As I recall last season Karius was very much walking alone after the CL final.

https://twitter.com/LorisKarius/status/1134927215009947651

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

MD1990 wrote: »

Doesn’t get away from the fact he was pretty much abandoned at the final whistle last year.

The pitch invader was Kinsey Wolanski (her social media pages are now worth 10 times what they were at KO)

14242640-7094621-image-a-50_1559419036140.jpg

Robbo just thinking about putting in a cross over to her possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mr.H wrote: »
    I was hoping Liverpool would win tonight but the longer the game went on spurs deserved extra time at least. Liverpool were cagey and fearful in attack. A shell of the team they can be. They didn't deserve a 2 nil scoreline.
    It was the most disappointing anti climatic final in my lifetime made worse by the June matchday.
    Im finding this YNWA ****e intolerable that Liverpool fans go on with too. The snugness "pool" fans have with the club is beginning to become overbearing. Seems to have mushroomed this season too.

It's the sign of a wanker supporter when YNWA is at the end of texts or posts. As a neutral supporter I can say that you sound less like a true supporter and more like a wanker with a YNWA at the end of a text.

wow. There I was thinking this guy is making good points that I agree with and next blam smack in the face with an insult. A wanker supporter? because I wrote YNWA? I think its past your bed time little fella

You have to wonder if he feels the same way about COYS...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Your hate is our fuel (someone must have said that in the past - sounds to good to have been made up by me now).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Your hate is our fuel (someone must have said that in the past - sounds to good to have been made up by me now).

Think it was the legend that is Luckylloyd who coined it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement