Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Final Totteham V Liverpool -Saturday 1st June - VM 1/BT Sport 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Berserker wrote: »
    How the other half live! Hope you enjoy it. Would be interested to know what you get for that kind of money.

haha I wish. I was just mentioning that you'd be made to pay 10k for ticket when you can get one and all the swankiness that comes with corporate for much less!

I am and will remain ticketless unless I find someone will to part for face value. So I will remain ticketless:D

EDIT: its sold out now but this is what you get

https://uclf.hospitality.uefa.com/packages/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm heading over tomorrow, also missed out on a ticket so just sticking to the fanzones and bars. Already had it booked before finding out I didn't get a ticket so just rolling with it. I wouldn't have travelled otherwise but there's a few of us from work going so should be a good weekend

Anybody thinking they'll get a ticket over there is dreaming. Not even worth trying with the amount of fakes likely around and the money quoted. Just find a screen and a few cerveza's

Anybody been to Madrid before? Got the whole of Sunday to figure out what to do...it's likely going to be siesta in the park for most of the day!

Weather looks like 33 degrees so even hotter than Baku was last night but nowhere near the level of humidity. Are water breaks allowed like in the World Cup? I'd be a bit worried about the affect of the heat on the intensity of the game, particularly for Liverpool who do a lot of running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Madrid is a cracking city, and my god the local women there. The ugly ones are our stunners here.

On the subject of the match though, Spurs are dodgy defensively and if Liverpool take their chances it should be straight forward night for Liverpool. Its a one off UCL final though, most of these players will never get here again, two of the best coaches in the world head to head, its going to be very cagey affair.

rob316 wrote: »
    very cagey affair.

This term keeps coming up! Klopp was asked if it would be a cagey affair in his press conference and he said "cagey? what is this word?"

I love the random phrases associated with soccer that make sense in context but when you are new to the phrase and take it literally you have no clue. 'The defence was at sixes and sevens' presumably sounds ridiculous.

In any event I don't think it will be cagey, I actually expect the opposite, mad running and pressing early on with a few mistakes from over-eagerness before it settles down.

It's a beautiful, fantastic city, so much to see but if Sunday is the recovery day from the madness we all hope for there's no better place to spend it than Retiro Park IMO. Can relax up there and have a few beers too.

Or one of the many roof top beer gardens.

.G. wrote: »
    It's a beautiful, fantastic city, so much to see but if Sunday is the recovery day from the madness we all hope for there's no better place to spend it than Retiro Park IMO.

It'll be the recovery day from something anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

This will be a tight game , any other game Liverpool should be winning this, but Klopps record in finals and the fact Liverpool should win will add more pressure to Liverpool. Id edge Spurs to take it on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This will be a tight game , any other game Liverpool should be winning this, but Klopps record in finals and the fact Liverpool should win will add more pressure to Liverpool. Id edge Spurs to take it on the night.

Spurs aren't known for being convincing when push comes to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's a beautiful, fantastic city, so much to see but if Sunday is the recovery day from the madness we all hope for there's no better place to spend it than Retiro Park IMO. Can relax up there and have a few beers too.

Very good suggestion if you're on recovery mode. If you can stomach more drinks and fancy something livelier head to the La Latina area which comes alive after the morning flea market (Rastro), usually a great fun buzz there on a Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Klopps record in finals has nothing to do with it. This is probably the first one he's had where his team were fairly decent favs (probably marginal vs Sevilla in odds terms).

Liverpool have a good record vs Spurs, but that probably means nothing either. In a one off game with the best sides available (as largely will be the case) it will be close. Liverpool the better team, but finals do funny things. I hope it's a routine Liverpool victory but I think it is unlikely. I'd prefer if Kane played as he can't be fully ready, but Liverpool have a similar situation with Firmino, although he has been out less tiime.

Liverpool have been markedly more consistent than Spurs this season, but if Spurs play fairly well they are a match for Liverpool in most positions. Liverpool are rightly favourites, but Spurs winning won't be a big shock. It'll depress the hell out of me, but it won't shock me. I hope the ref isn't too finicky anyway as that can ruin the game as a spectacle if he has booked 5 players by 30 mins for silly nothing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No idea what will happen

Both teams have match winners up top but I think keepers and defenders performances will decide this ,

feck it I'm calling a Liverpool win , time for the squad to reach there potential and win something anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Very hard to predict an outcome or even guess how the match might pan out. 3 weeks is a long time to wait between games and it is entirely possible to lose form. Premier league form is irrelevant.

Both teams have match winners. Very nervous about this game. My biggest fear as a Liverpool fan is how a loss will affect the players going forward. An unbelievable season and no trophy to show for it could knock the stuffing out of them. I'm that nervous I can't even decide where I want to watch the game 😅

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

If both teams are firing on all cylinders then one has to fancy LFC but it's an intriguing encounter. Spurs certainly have the fire power to beat anyone but having Kane back could be a hindrance. Better to hold him back and throw him on with half an hour left rather than start him imo.

3-1 to LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Channel 4 10 PM - a one hour interview special by Peter Crouch
    Ahead of the Champions League final in Madrid on Saturday, Peter Crouch – a former player of the two teams competing – sits down with players, managers and fans to build a picture of how Jürgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino took Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, respectively, to the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Madrid is amazing. Barcelona gets the plaudits but if I had to buy a ticket to either Madrid hands down, enjoy !

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote:
    Madrid is amazing. Barcelona gets the plaudits but if I had to buy a ticket to either Madrid hands down, enjoy !

Thanks, agree 100%, I've been here 3 times now and I love it. Wasn't a massive fan of Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bookies never far wrong, and Spurs are 3/1 to win.

Thats about right I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Excited just to be watching spurs in a champions league final and whatever the outcome I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hmm think it'll be 3/4-0 to Liverpool, can see them going ahead very early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I think Spurs will nick it. 1.1 and Spurs to win on pens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Excited just to be watching spurs in a champions league final and whatever the outcome I'll be happy.

Crazy thoughts. This could be the only chance that most of these players and even you as a Spurs fan will have of winning a European cup. You have to give it everything. Any result other than a win should be a major disappointment.
    xtal191 wrote: »
    Hmm think it'll be 3/4-0 to Liverpool, can see them going ahead very early

Good few people have been predicting scores like this. Last three games between the two have been 2-2, 1-2 and 2-1. Trying to understand why people think this game is going to be so different. Spurs were unlucky to lose at Anfield also, don't forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Berserker wrote: »
    Crazy thoughts. This could be the only chance that most of these players and even you as a Spurs fan will have of winning a European cup. You have to give it everything. Any result other than a win should be a major disappointment.

Good few people have been predicting scores like this. Last three games between the two have been 2-2, 1-2 and 2-1. Trying to understand why people think this game is going to be so different. Spurs were unlucky to lose at Anfield also, don't forget that.

At Wembley Spurs were lucky it was 2-1 swings and roundabouts Saturday is a one off game under European refs anything can happen from here as we seen neither side have a never say die attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Documentary on Klopp & Poch on ch4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Spurs first 11 is a match for Pool. It's prob first time Poch has a full squad to pick from this season. Pressure will tell with Pool. Spurs win 3-1.

Spurs win and btts, can get 13/2, great odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

5starpool wrote: »
    Klopps record in finals has nothing to do with it. This is probably the first one he's had where his team were fairly decent favs (probably marginal vs Sevilla in odds terms).

Liverpool have a good record vs Spurs, but that probably means nothing either. In a one off game with the best sides available (as largely will be the case) it will be close. Liverpool the better team, but finals do funny things. I hope it's a routine Liverpool victory but I think it is unlikely. I'd prefer if Kane played as he can't be fully ready, but Liverpool have a similar situation with Firmino, although he has been out less tiime.

Liverpool have been markedly more consistent than Spurs this season, but if Spurs play fairly well they are a match for Liverpool in most positions. Liverpool are rightly favourites, but Spurs winning won't be a big shock. It'll depress the hell out of me, but it won't shock me. I hope the ref isn't too finicky anyway as that can ruin the game as a spectacle if he has booked 5 players by 30 mins for silly nothing things.

Agree with pretty much everything you say , and what happens in other finals generally doesnt matter , but 6 finals in a row they must be weighing on him somewhat and to go and lose another be dreadful for him. A thorn in his side.

Funny people saying hopefully Kane starts, hes a force and he wouldnt not be starting if not fit . Id be hoping he doesnt start if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Spurs first 11 is a match for Pool. It's prob first time Poch has a full squad to pick from this season. Pressure will tell with Pool. Spurs win 3-1.

Spurs win and btts, can get 13/2, great odds.

I get the 'its all about opinions etc' bla bla bla.

If you're talking pressure getting to someone. You genuinely believe that the pressure wont get to the team playing in the biggest game in their history with a guy up front who simply cannot be match fit. Liverpool played and lost this game last season. They know what thats like. Klopp knows what thats like but this time we have a bench that can influence the game if needed.

Last year we had to go 433 we had no option. This time we start 433 but can switch to 4231. This time we get to play a goalkeeper that doesn't have a brain or wrists made out of chocolate.

If you fancy spurs thats fine and I've no issue but talking about pressure affecting Liverpool. Come on. Spurs got a sniff of the title race this year and started moonwalking down the table as quick as possible

I think a huge factor will be that Liverpool will go out and play the same way they do every single week, They won't change a thing ,

Spurs and Poch always changes his the way they play according to who they are playing , It has seen him make some big mistakes in games this season , hence why they lost so many games .

I think its more likely for Liverpool to be functional than Spurs

Spurs of course can win if Liverpool play poorly but I think Liverpool are the better side and rightly favourites

Anyone know what time it gets dark in Madrid ?

Just wondering will Salah and Mane get a chance to get some food into them before the game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Looking forward to it, has the potential to be a cracking game.

Liverpool more consistent in producing good performances, and I'd put them down as stronger defensively, and obviously a massive threat up front, although Firmino hasn't been playing all that well.

If Spurs are firing in attack they are a threat to anybody. I wonder what will happen with Kane, the talisman but surely not fully fit and I think they have put in some good European performances without him. Son in particular has been excellent. I also think Llorente is a really good option from the bench, won everything against Ajax although it won't be as easy against Liverpool.

Who does better in midfield should be really interesting. I've never been a big fan of Henderson, think he doesn't always get into the game enough. I'm not sure if Spurs can take advantage though.

osarusan wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, has the potential to be a cracking game.

Liverpool more consistent in producing good performances, and I'd put them down as stronger defensively, and obviously a massive threat up front, although Firmino hasn't been playing all that well.

If Spurs are firing in attack they are a threat to anybody. I wonder what will happen with Kane, the talisman but surely not fully fit and I think they have put in some good European performances without him. Son in particular has been excellent. I also think Llorente is a really good option from the bench, won everything against Ajax although it won't be as easy against Liverpool.

Who does better in midfield should be really interesting. I've never been a big fan of Henderson, think he doesn't always get into the game enough. I'm not sure if Spurs can take advantage though.

Spurs have the same problem as Henderson with Sissoko , both can go missing for periods.,

100% this will be a game where both teams have spells of dominating the ball in midfield ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Just wondering will Salah and Mane get a chance to get some food into them before the game ,

Probably not, it's only an hour ahead and with clear skies will still be bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

They will break the fast for the game and the day before.

I'm not exactly a fountain of knowledge around Ramadan but Muslims can break the fast for certain things and can make those days back up again.

Last year Liverpool's physiotherapist confirmed that Salah and a guess Mane did not fast in the build up to the CL final so I can't see this year being different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah the whole fasting Muslim thing with sports stars is completely over egged by the sports media. They are not going to be on that pitch starving hungry, they just can't say it publically as the Islamic fundamentalists will target them for being Western and all sorts of other sh1te.

Plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, just cause youre Muslim.doesnt mean they follow every rule of the religion. Much like a la carte Catholics here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Spurs have the same problem as Henderson with Sissoko , both can go missing for periods.,

100% this will be a game where both teams have spells of dominating the ball in midfield ,

Whilst I’d agree with spurs midfielders going missing (especially Alli) I think Sissoko is the only one who doesn’t in the slightest. He’s been spurs’ best player this season and always provides drive and energy when needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah the whole fasting Muslim thing with sports stars is completely over egged by the sports media. They are not going to be on that pitch starving hungry, they just can't say it publically as the Islamic fundamentalists will target them for being Western and all sorts of other sh1te.

Plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, just cause youre Muslim.doesnt mean they follow every rule of the religion. Much like a la carte Catholics here

A big fryup i would think ,em,sausages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Interested in seeing how Spurs line up as they have played multiple formations with different players so Pochettino has probably had lots of different line ups run through his head over the last three weeks. Add in he has tried multiple formations against Liverpool alone this season and come up short, does he have a new plan?

Klopp has one big decision, who from the midfield four misses out. I'd prefer he start Fabinho, Gini and Henderson (like most fans) but have a feeling Milner will be playing at the expense of Fabinho which will be a mistake in my opinion so hopefully it doesn't happen.

I think it'll be a close game with Liverpool to edge it 2-1, maybe a late break away goal to make it 3-1. Trippier to continue to have a poor season and will take a roasting from Mane and Robertson, Liverpool should target him through out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

So today was mental in the city and I can only imagine tomorrow afternoon being worse I am estimating liverpool fans outnumbering spurs fans 100-1 from what I have seen( granted been stuck in the office for chunks of the day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

You Defo have too much time on your hands !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2-1 Liverpool , can’t see more then 3 goals in this match, tight affair ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

4-1 Liverpool. Can see Liverpool scoring a couple before Spurs have to push up the pitch leaving a lot of space behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

0-0 with 0-0 on penalties too.
    Can't see either team winning

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    0-0 with 0-0 on penalties too.
    Can't see either team winning

Probably for the best. Keep the peace like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Even with the three week break should be straight forward enough for Liverpool here.

Better manager, better first team, better squad and let's face it Spurs are lucky enough to even be in the final. No excuses here for pool at all, expect it to be over as a contest within the hour. Probably blitz them and jump into a two goal lead early and add another one or two later as Spurs get stretched.

Can't see any way Spurs manage to lift the trophy, a real David v Goliath contest but this time without a happy ending.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Even with the three week break should be straight forward enough for Liverpool here.

Better manager, better first team, better squad and let's face it Spurs are lucky enough to even be in the final. No excuses here for pool at all, expect it to be over as a contest within the hour. Probably blitz them and jump into a two goal lead early and add another one or two later as Spurs get stretched.

Can't see any way Spurs manage to lift the trophy, a real David v Goliath contest but this time without a happy ending.

Now say what you really think! Lol! Another blinkered pool fan.

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »

He is a Man United fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lucky how? Liverpool were miserable in the group stage away games and were arguably lucky to get out of that in the first place (spurs too). Napoli threw away some points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tom1ie wrote: »

He's a United fan. Probably setting up a narrative in case Liverpool lose.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lucky how? Liverpool were miserable in the group stage away games and were arguably lucky to get out of that in the first place (spurs too). Napoli threw away some points.

Dunno how you could not figure out what a fellow United fan is doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Madrid police warning that organised gang of steward impersonators will try to steal Champions League final tickets from fans tonight. Police have seized fake steward bibs, fake checking tickets devices & fake accreditations. Only show tickets to stewards at official check zones

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1134731225942364161?s=19

• Advertisement
Advertisement