Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Vs Deep Section

Options
  • 26-05-2019 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I have an inherited a disc wheel on a new bike I bought but also own a Deep section, would love to know when people choose one over the other, what are the determining factors? Took a spin on the disc wheel and it feels very different (heavier and almost 'feels' slower) but im sure its not, maybe its my lack of experience and knowledge

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Disc wheels are only for improving speed in Time Trials (and are not allowed in road races)

A full rear disc is going to be perhaps 1-2 km/h faster than a deep section, which may deliver perhaps another km/h over a regular spoked wheel

Disc wheels will be heavier, but as most TTs are on fairly flat surfaces that is not too detrimental

When it comes to strong winds, depending on direction you can create a "sail" effect. It may be a little more difficult to control the bike, but if you can shelter from the headwinds (by sticking close to hedges on the side of a road) and be more in the open when the wind is coming from behind you can see some bigger advantages over regular wheels

Advertisement