Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi navan accused of shoplifting at the checkout

Options
  • 26-05-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was in Aldi navan yesterday when I got to the checkout ,I was told by the cashier that he wanted to check my bag as he thought I had items in the bag that I wasn't paying for ,I told him that the items were from dunne stores but he insisted in looking in the bag .after which he carried
    on as normal as if nothing had happened..This was done in full view of other customers including a neighbour of mine. I was a bit embarrassed can anyone tell me do cashiers have a right to accused you of shoplifting without any proof, there are no signs in Aldi saying they have the right to search your bags at the checkout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

I can't give you 100% correct answer to your question but I worked in Lidl a few years ago and we were advised to pull the trolley into the counter, facing us to check for shoplifting and to check bags if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They asked a question and you answered. If you have items from another store that this store sells it's a risk you take.

Would you rather that security asked you to return to the store after you exited because that's what they have to do when they suspect shoplifting, its not shoplifting till you exit the shop and security asking you to return would be more embarrassing than a quick glance by the till operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I think you can sue them for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

IMO nothing happened here, and I don’t understand why you would feel embarrassed. No one in the queue would have thought anything of it either. They would have seen an employee doing his job, and they would have seen you showing that there was nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Standard practice I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Personally I wouldn't let them check the bag like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

The way you phrase it I don’t think that qualifies as accusing you of shoplifting.

The cashier asked to have a look into your shopping bag. Given there were items in there I believe that would be within reason.
    I was told by the cashier that he wanted to check my bag as he thought I had items in the bag that I wasn't paying for ,I told him that the items were from dunne stores but he insisted in looking in the bag .after which he carried
    on as normal as if nothing had happened.

they have no right to check through your bags, personally i would not have let them do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

They asked to check your bag, they didn't accuse you of stealing anything. Was it your handbag or a shopping bag?

Why would you be embarrassed of that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bubblypop wrote: »
    they have no right to check through your bags, personally i would not have let them do it.

Any source of this or is it just a sense of entitlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I would have thought they have not right to search your personal belongings.

Any source of this or is it just a sense of entitlement?

source for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭numbnutz

You need to relax and have a few drinks in the Dean Hotel and have a go on their swings.....let us know how you get on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Thought the rule about shoplifting was that they couldn't search your bags or accuse you of shoplifting until you had actually left the premises. Also odd that it was regular shop staff that were checking you for it and not security assuming they had security.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OP just produce the receipt from Dunnes and it's done. Regular for me to shop in both. Always have the receipt in my fist as I anticipate it. In Lidl they always take a quick peek at my trolley, which I'm fine with. I will say I don't understand why people can't use a basket or a trolley when they go to Lidl/Aldi.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Thought the rule about shoplifting was that they couldn't search your bags or accuse you of shoplifting until you had actually left the premises. Also odd that it was regular shop staff that were checking you for it and not security assuming they had security.
    It's that habit of people shoving stuff into bags while shopping in Lidl/Aldi rather than using a trolley or basket that causes this. They have every right to check you've put all your purchases on the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

all ways keep the receipt from the other shop if u are going into one that sells the same product as i found out went into one store bought some products and went to the next store that sold the same the girl was taking the stuff from my hand to scan them i said there not from here she just looked un till i produced the receipt so she just scanned the products that i was buying all ways keep the receipt till u get home

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Op

Be careful if you are considering taking this to court and hoping to get a big payout for defamation. Some people you know are probably telling you to 'take them to the cleaners'.

There was a story last week in the media about some fool accused of stealing from Dundrum centre and he was given nothing iirc. Plus got his mug plastered across the media as a money chaser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Stephen15 wrote: »

Only the Gardaí have powers of search - staff can't search you in any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Another Maria Bailey thread. Op, you let them look in your bag. Case closed. I personally wouldn't mind at all clarifying with a till person that I've everything from their shop to be scanned.

I'd then leave the shop and continue on my day.

For those who say they've no right to look in your bag, the only way to test that out is to refuse to let them look in your bag, then see what happens. If they force you/call security or the guards, then take a claim (I'd strongly disagree with this type of claim myself)

In a world where humans interact with each other, I think it's perfectly reasonable if a till person isn't sure if all the goods are on the counter, that I give them a two second look, and live my life happy out.

Get Real wrote: »

For those who say they've no right to look in your bag, the only way to test that out is to refuse to let them look in your bag, then see what happens. If they force you/call security or the guards, then take a claim (I'd strongly disagree with this type of claim myself)

of course they dont have any right to look in your bag!
    Im not saying the OP should be going done the claims route, but he or she is quite entitled to refuse their request.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bubblypop wrote: »
    of course they dont have any right to look in your bag!
    Im not saying the OP should be going done the claims route, but he or she is quite entitled to refuse their request.

And the shop is then entitled to call the Gardaì. You are making a big deal out of normal business practice.

If you don't want the staff having a look in your bag then don't bring a bag full of groceries into a grocery store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Namespace12345

numbnutz wrote: »
    You need to relax and have a few drinks in the Dean Hotel and have a go on their swings.....let us know how you get on.....
    In my last job my boss reversed a trailer and pin me against a farm gate , I herniated two discs in my back and I have Suffered bad sciatica since. I carried on working for him untill in a fit of anger he threw a hammer at me and I walk out of the job. Unlike said TD I was not brought up with a sense of self entitlement quite the opposite in fact. I know you were trying to be clever but you Couldn't be more wrong about me ,I just thought the till operator could have treated me with a bit more respect ,by the way I have never been in a hotel in my life but after this huge payout I might buy my own swing

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Namespace12345

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's that habit of people shoving stuff into bags while shopping in Lidl/Aldi rather than using a trolley or basket that causes this. They have every right to check you've put all your purchases on the belt.

I was using a basket ,I had a dunnes stores bag in my free hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Why would anyone be walking around Lidl with Dunne's stores items ?

You go to Lidl first and then only pay the higher prices in Dunne's for what you couldn't find in Lidl.

I was using a basket ,I had a dunnes stores bag in my free hand
    Fair enough. I am surprised you've never seen them do this before. I noticed it on my first trip into Lidl. I really wouldn't stress it beyond here's my receipt for what's already in the bag! At worst the store needs to instruct till staff to be more polite about it but they do need to do it. While many of us may be perfectly honest there will be others who are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

In my last job my boss reversed a trailer and pin me against a farm gate , I herniated two discs in my back and I have Suffered bad sciatica since. I carried on working for him untill in a fit of anger he threw a hammer at me and I walk out of the job. Unlike said TD I was not brought up with a sense of self entitlement quite the opposite in fact. I know you were trying to be clever but you Couldn't be more wrong about me ,I just thought the till operator could have treated me with a bit more respect ,by the way I have never been in a hotel in my life but after this huge payout I might buy my own swing

If it's upsetting you then maybe ask to speak to the manager and explain that the situation made you uncomfortable. You'll probably get an apology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement