Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi navan accused of shoplifting at the checkout

Options

Comments

Del2005 wrote: »
    And the shop is then entitled to call the Gardaì. You are making a big deal out of normal business practice.

If you don't want the staff having a look in your bag then don't bring a bag full of groceries into a grocery store.

staff are not entitled to look into your bag, it doesn't matter how many bags or where they are from.
    they can call the gardai all they want, the guards will tell them the same thing. Unless they actually want to arrest the OP, which I'm sure they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bubblypop wrote: »
    staff are not entitled to look into your bag, it doesn't matter how many bags or where they are from.
    they can call the gardai all they want, the guards will tell them the same thing. Unless they actually want to arrest the OP, which I'm sure they don't
    This is at the till, not after they have gone through. People use empty bags to carry groceries around the shop and empty them at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

OP the other customers nearby and especially the neighbor can only have a higher regard for you now that it has been proven by staff that you were NOT shoplifting!!!!! Ha de f**king ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Namespace12345

They asked a question and you answered. If you have items from another store that this store sells it's a risk you take.

Would you rather that security asked you to return to the store after you exited because that's what they have to do when they suspect shoplifting, its not shoplifting till you exit the shop and security asking you to return would be more embarrassing than a quick glance by the till operator.

It was more than a quick glance he said I had Aldi items in a dunnes store bag , despite working on the till and having no clear view of me shopping ,

of course they dont have any right to look in your bag!
    Im not saying the OP should be going done the claims route, but he or she is quite entitled to refuse their request.

I have no interest in going down claims route,but I thought the situation could have handled it better, instead of of saying I had Aldi items hidden in a dunnes stores bag,he could have said do you mind me checking the bag as it store policy and when he looked into bag said that's ok , sorry about that but I have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They asked a question and you answered. If you have items from another store that this store sells it's a risk you take.

Would you rather that security asked you to return to the store after you exited because that's what they have to do when they suspect shoplifting, its not shoplifting till you exit the shop and security asking you to return would be more embarrassing than a quick glance by the till operator.

I have often gone into a supermarket with items from another supermarket or shop in a bag already (I might be shopping around for things or the two stores don't stock the same items, so I have to go to both of them).

There is no rule that says you must enter a supermarket with an empty shopping bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

You could get in touch with Aldi and explain what happened.

customer.service@aldi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I am in France so maybe not relevant but you have to share/open your bags every time you go to the cashier. It's not a big deal and nobodys humiliated.

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN GOING DOWN CLAIMS ROUTE, BOARD IE WARRIORS SAVE YOUR AMMUNITION FOR THE TD AND HER SWING,I HAVE NO INTEREST IN STEALING YOUR HARD EARN TAX DOLLARS FROM YOUR 24 HOUR 7 DAY A WEEK JOBS ! I JUST THOUGHT THAT AS A CUSTOMER WHO HAS SHOP IN ALDI NAVAN SINCE IT OPEN I WOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED IN A MORE PROFESSIONAL MANNER BY THE CASHIER. I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE MANAGER AND HE SAID IT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPEN ,HE APOLOGISE AND SAID HE HAVE A WORD WITH STAFF MEMBER. THAT'S ALL I WANTED ,VERY THING IN IRELAND DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT MONEY AND HOW MUCH YOU PAID IN TAX , INSTEAD OF MAKING ANOTHER SARCASTIC COMMENT TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL BETTER ,BRING THE DOG FOR A WALK ,SIT OUT IN THE GARDEN ,READ A BOOK. Try to treat people with respect

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN GOING DOWN CLAIMS ROUTE, BOARD IE WARRIORS SAVE YOUR AMMUNITION FOR THE TD AND HER SWING,I HAVE NO INTEREST IN STEALING YOUR HARD EARN TAX DOLLARS FROM YOUR 24 HOUR 7 DAY A WEEK JOBS ! I JUST THOUGHT THAT AS A CUSTOMER WHO HAS SHOP IN ALDI NAVAN SINCE IT OPEN I WOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED IN A MORE PROFESSIONAL MANNER BY THE CASHIER. I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE MANAGER AND HE SAID IT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPEN ,HE APOLOGISE AND SAID HE HAVE A WORD WITH STAFF MEMBER. THAT'S ALL I WANTED ,VERY THING IN IRELAND DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT MONEY AND HOW MUCH YOU PAID IN TAX , INSTEAD OF MAKING ANOTHER SARCASTIC COMMENT TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL BETTER ,BRING THE DOG FOR A WALK ,SIT OUT IN THE GARDEN ,READ A BOOK. Try to treat people with respect

Will do. But when you read YOUR book, will you please take a leaf out of it and perhaps not abuse people who are giving their opinion after you asking for it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

You got caught trying it on, get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Anyone who brings groceries INTO a supermarket while doing a shop is leaving themselves open to being questioned in my opinion, regardless of why you are doing it. The cashier could / should have been more polite with his wording. Did you have a receipt from Dunnes, OP?

I would imagine that some less scrupulous people have identified the obvious scam here. Buy x, y and z in Dunnes, keep the receipt but put new items in the car, bring a few bags into Aldi, add x, y and z to one bag, add more items to basket, go to cashier, if asked about be other bag, open, show x, y and z along with the receipt from Dunnes. Makes much more sense with high value items and CCTV is a risk, but you can guarantee this has been tried in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anyone who brings groceries INTO a supermarket while doing a shop is leaving themselves open to being questioned in my opinion, regardless of why you are doing it. The cashier could / should have been more polite with his wording. Did you have a receipt from Dunnes, OP?

I would imagine that some less scrupulous people have identified the obvious scam here. Buy x, y and z in Dunnes, keep the receipt but put new items in the car, bring a few bags into Aldi, add x, y and z to one bag, add more items to basket, go to cashier, if asked about be other bag, open, show x, y and z along with the receipt from Dunnes. Makes much more sense with high value items and CCTV is a risk, but you can guarantee this has been tried in the past...
    I have done it often enough as there is a Dunnes and Tesco right across the street from each other but usually for a few small things. Quite prepared to be approached by someone, receipt in hand.

I am in France so maybe not relevant but you have to share/open your bags every time you go to the cashier. It's not a big deal and nobodys humiliated.

Ireland has become more litigious unfortunately. Common sense no longer prevails where the there is a sniff of a chance to sue for ‘humiliation’, and the legal profession are all too happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Another person looking for a quick buck for being ‘embarrassed’. Great to see :rolleyes:

is_that_so wrote: »
    I have done it often enough as there is a Dunnes and Tesco right across the street from each other but usually for a few small things. Quite prepared to be approached by someone, receipt in hand.

Exactly, I have done it myself but understand that the onus is on me to prove the items came from another store if approached by security or cashier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If I have to visit two or more supermarkets in the one trip, I make sure to leave shop A's goods in the car while I go into shop B.

is_that_so wrote: »

yeah but it's a bit suspicious going to Dunnes before Lidl. Anyone with half a brain stocks up with the cheaper prices in Lidl first, before going to Dunnes for what they cant find in Lidl.

If I have to visit two or more supermarkets in the one trip, I make sure to leave shop A's goods in the car while I go into shop B.

using a car ?? you environmental terrorist, wait till the greens and FG get you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Gardai will be called when security stop the person after they exit the store. The store now has a reasonable suspension that a crime has been committed. Its not impossible for someone to "accidently" drop a few steaks or other expensive items into the bag that they took into the store, if spotted at the till it's a mistake if stopped outside its theft.

• Advertisement

The Gardai will be called when security stop the person after they exit the store. The store now has a reasonable suspension that a crime has been committed. Its not impossible for someone to "accidently" drop a few steaks or other expensive items into the bag that they took into the store, if spotted at the till it's a mistake if stopped outside its theft.

Security cannot stop detain or 'arrest' anyone on a suspicion. They have to know that an arrestable offence has occurred.
    If they do that & the person has not stolen anything, they are open to false arrest complaints.
    No random person, no matter who they are can search any other person, the only time searches are allowed is by law. Certain acts give a power of search. And security or staff in supermarkets are definitely not covered to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Are you sure he just wasn't looking under the and between the bags to see if you left anything in the trolley? They always do that, and why didn't you take the bag out of the trolley so the trolley is clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Should have walked out and left the things you were going to purchase there sitting at the cashier if you were annoyed. Let them forego their sale if you were annoyed.

Or, hypothetically, if you wanted to go down the compo route, you should have just nervously said "NO" when they asked to look in your dunes bag, immediately grabbed it shut, looked furtively towards the exit and then legged it with it tightly under your arm to see if they'd rugby tackle you to the ground.

Should have walked out and left the things you were going to purchase there sitting at the cashier if you were annoyed. Let them forego their sale if you were annoyed.

Or, hypothetically, if you wanted to go down the compo route, you should have just nervously said "NO" when they asked to look in your dunes bag, immediately grabbed it shut, looked furtively towards the exit and then legged it with it tightly under your arm to see if they'd rugby tackle you to the ground.

True to form, you'd suggest a typical tramp stunt right enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I was in Aldi one day and had an old Aldi shopping bag with the barcode label still attached to the bag.The guy on checkout asked me had I pay for it and I explained it was an old bag and I'd just never removed the tag. He was a bit funny about it and said the tag should have been removed thought he was a bit rude but guess they must be dealing with all sorts day in day out.

Separately I don't like using the self service checkouts in shops too much because what I have noticed is that the staff member watching the area can hover very closely behind you as you scan your goods.I find it a bit stressful as if being judged to be almost a thief. Tesco used to be very bad for this but seem to have improved now and at least staff stand at a distance and watch people.I usually go to a cashier now as I don't feel so rushed and under scrutiny.I would prefer to deal with a cashier any way as at the current rate they will be all made redundant as self service takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Any source of this or is it just a sense of entitlement?

It's called the law. You should read up on it. I think you'll find even a Garda has no automatic right to search you or your bag, nevermind a shop employee. That alone should answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I was accused of shop lifting back in the day. I was also working as a foundation repair man for Quinnsworth at the time The gear in Aldi isn't worth stealing, except those microwavable burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Ireland has become more litigious unfortunately. Common sense no longer prevails where the there is a sniff of a chance to sue for ‘humiliation’, and the legal profession are all too happy to oblige.

If a persons rights have been breached are you suggesting that this should be allowed, not called out and not put right?

The pay out is an entirely separate subject. There is no pay out if a judge deems that the persons rights have not been breached or if no wrong was deemed done against the person.

The shop employee at the till can ask to search your bag all they like. It's rediculous to suggest you should oblige or that it is no big deal. You are absolutely within your rights to ignore their request.

If the shop employee goes further by accusing a shopper at the till of stealing then this is a serious matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hal3000 wrote: »
    The gear in Aldi isn't worth stealing, except those microwavable burgers.

Tell that to the guys sliding boxes of rashers out the door with someone waiting to run off (that was Lidl tho)

Lidl are the exact same as this - eagle eyed you are not trying to rob something
    On continental Europe some shops don't even let you in with shopping/bags etc, you have to put it in a locker and collect it on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I have no interest in going down claims route,but I thought the situation could have handled it better, instead of of saying I had Aldi items hidden in a dunnes stores bag,he could have said do you mind me checking the bag as it store policy and when he looked into bag said that's ok , sorry about that but I have to do it.

It probably comes down to staff getting better training and being more customer friendly and focused.I generally find Aldi staff very good but as have said in another post had one small incident which I would put down to poor training and also maybe a fear of the store assistant losing their job if stolen goods were to get off the premises unreported and under their watch.

It's not a nice environment for the shopper though and definitely off putting.Seems to be a growing distrust and suspicion around people in shops often unwarranted. I don't like shopping in this kind of atmosphere but sign of the times unfortunately.

Advertisement