Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi navan accused of shoplifting at the checkout

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In absolute fairness, because of the lack of inverted commas in the OP it can be read both ways, but it's far more likely he gave a reason for wanting to see in the bags than he didn't. Maybe the OP will enlighten us at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

In absolute fairness, because of the lack of inverted commas in the OP it can be read both ways, but it's far more likely he gave a reason for wanting to see in the bags than he didn't. Maybe the OP will enlighten us at some point.
    It was more than a quick glance he said I had Aldi items in a dunnes store bag , despite working on the till and having no clear view of me shopping ,
    instead of of saying I had Aldi items hidden in a dunnes stores bag,he could have said do you mind me checking the bag as it store policy and when he looked into bag said that's ok

I think the OP has been very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I think the OP has been very clear.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

request 60k for moral damage your neighbor will be able to testify. split reward win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I think you can sue them for defamation.

maria, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

scamalert wrote: »
    request 60k for moral damage your neighbor will be able to testify. split reward win win.

Hmmm... seems like a scam... if only someone had an alert for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Was in Aldi navan yesterday when I got to the checkout ,I was told by the cashier that he wanted to check my bag as he thought I had items in the bag that I wasn't paying for ,I told him that the items were from dunne stores but he insisted in looking in the bag .after which he carried
    on as normal as if nothing had happened..This was done in full view of other customers including a neighbour of mine. I was a bit embarrassed can anyone tell me do cashiers have a right to accused you of shoplifting without any proof, there are no signs in Aldi saying they have the right to search your bags at the checkout.

If your reputation is now damaged because the accusation was stated publicly and heard by people who know you, then there might be a case to be heard. But you would need to talk to a legal professional if you're going down that road.

It would certainly help if you could prove those people now see you as a dirty thief solely because of what they heard the casher say.

But again, get real advice from a real professional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Refuse to entertain them and they can call the Gardaí to investigate. Ask the Garda to charge the cashier with wasting Garda time if possible.

If this happened to me personally I wouldn’t go after the store with a frivolous lawsuit. I would make sure they’d think twice in future about some checkout girl/boy playing a wannabe cop.

There’s nothing on the shelves worth €75k and that’s what it could cost them in the circuit court. If you suspect someone of stealing, you gather the evidence and let AGS investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

How in God's name do people think it's ok for this to happen?? He simply can't ask you to look in your bag!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I have no interest in going down claims route,but I thought the situation could have handled it better, instead of of saying I had Aldi items hidden in a dunnes stores bag,he could have said do you mind me checking the bag as it store policy and when he looked into bag said that's ok , sorry about that but I have to do it.

That's an accusation and if it was me I would screw them for every penny I could possibly get. I couldn't care less what anyone else would think or say about it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The best practice in this is SCONE: Selection; Concealment; Observation; Nonpayment; and Egress. Without all those 5 boxes ticked, it is less than ideal territory for an outlet to take any action. It doesn't look like any of these boxes were ticked in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

The Jman wrote: »
    How in God's name do people think it's ok for this to happen?? He simply can't ask you to look in your bag!!!

Sure he can, nothing wrong with asking, it's how it was done that the issue is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Do you not have to wait until the person has left the store before you can ask to look in their bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

rubadub wrote: »
    and infuriate all the customers behind him. He was concerned that his neighbour was there and saw him, don't think he will want the neighbour going around telling people he pissed off a whole line of people.

do you cope well in airports or events like concerts with full on searches?

I am surprised I am not stopped more often, I guess it might be because I don't go all "I know my rights" and act defensive that they let me go. e.g. a beeper would go on the way out of a shop and I would open my bag as if to offer it for inspection and they wave me on.

are you sure about this? the cashiers in my lidl also clean the floors with big industrial sweepers, aldi also seem to get good use of staff. It would not surprise me at all if some level of serveillance/security is expected of them and included in the job description. This is why it is cheap, in other supermarkets you see staff lounging around dossing.

You expect it at airports and concerts though but when you go shopping to have a shop assistant hovering behind you at the self service check out can be a bit much.Once or twice before in Tesco I had the urge to tell them to actually back off because they were so in my face. Supervalu I find to be a good shopping experience because even though the goods are a bit more expensive the staff are friendly and stores are less frenzied.You could see why people would do their shopping online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Blaizes wrote: »
    You expect it at airports and concerts though but when you go shopping to have a shop assistant hovering behind you at the self service check out can be a bit much.Once or twice before in Tesco I had the urge to tell them to actually back off because they were so in my face. Supervalu I find to be a good shopping experience because even though the goods are a bit more expensive the staff are friendly and stores are less frenzied.You could see why people would do their shopping online though.

The difference being for venues and airports it's a condition of entry. You don't have to open the bag, they don't have to let you in.

Very different to saying to someone that they have to show you their bag because you think they have things they're not paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

BeardySi wrote: »
    The difference being for venues and airports it's a condition of entry. You don't have to open the bag, they don't have to let you in.

Very different to saying to someone that they have to show you their bag because you think they have things they're not paying for.

You don't have to open your bag in the shop either but if you don't would the shop not be fully in their rights to ask you to leave surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The Jman wrote: »
    Do you not have to wait until the person has left the store before you can ask to look in their bag?

no you yourself can walk up to a shopper in anyshop yourself and ask to look in their bag. If they say yes, then that's the end of situation.

its not the request to look in the bag, its the issue of what the cashier said. if an accusation was made, and if that accusation caused upset, and reputational damage.

to go back to your point, if a shoplifter had aldi items slipped into their dunnes bag, and they checked the bag before they left the store, the 'shoplifter' couldn't be charged because they didn't remove them from the store. that's not the point of interest in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Does Aldi instruct their till staff to ask to check the contents of people bags or pockets?

I used to work for a major retailer, with security staff, and unless a thief is monitored by security from lifting the the product to walking out the door, with no breaks in surveillance, they don't intervene .

I seen on the first page someone LOLing the suggestion of defamation . They are very wrong to think that there is not case here.

Big retailers follow strict procedure in these cases. You dont search or even go near anyone unless you are 100% positive and they have walked out the door. With the stolen goods .
    Apparently its quite common for the person getting searched to ditch the product before exiting. Leaving the company wide open for prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Does Aldi instruct their till staff to ask to check the contents of people bags or pockets?

I think they are supposed to check trolley and shopping bags in the trolley by eye, or ask if they can't see clearly.

That's my experience but seems consistent in most stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone ever experience this - being asked if they want a receipt and if they say "no", the checkout assistant sends the security guard after them as they walk out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Not directly relevant, but I was in Australia a while back and in large store there were always two or three staff checking everyone's bag as they left. At one time I noticed a family leaving and they checked all bags even those carried by children

Advertisement