Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archer VR900 and EIR VOIP

Options
  • 26-05-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I've been having serious problems with the Eir f2000 router with connection dropping continuously. After contacting EIR they sent me another router which worked fine for a couple of days then the same thing started happening. Enough is enough so I had a TP link Archer VR900 | AC 1900 modem router which I substituted for the F2000. Problem solved with no connection issues or drops, over the last 4 days.

My problem is that Eir switched me from landline to VOIP for telephone. Basically there was a socket on the EIR F2000 where I connected my analogue phone to the router allowing VOIP calls. In the Archer there is no 'phone socket' like there is with the F2000. To be honest I'm not even sure if the VR900 supports VOIP and there is very little in the manual. As a result I have no phone line connection or VOIP. Does anyone know a way around this? Even an adaptor of some some sort which would allow me to connect analogue phone to the router and allow calls over VOIP?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without further info I'm guessing:

You've treated the symptom not the cause. The F2000 is meh but it doesnt generally crash. So lets assume its dropping sync. My guess is the Archer is being more conservative with sync brokerage or is simply not vectoring and basically underusing the line a bit, thus no sync loss.

Troubleshooting steps:
    1. Get VDSL Stats from Archer
    2. Get VDSL Stats from F2000
    3. Fix issues with F2000
    4. Avoid VOIP config headache (Eir dont/wont give you the credentials to make it work)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Monk32

Thanks Ed E.
    You are correct in that I addressed the symptoms and not the cause as I was not getting anywhere. Having said that, on the EIR router I troubleshooted the issues with EIR technical support. They checked the line (all good) and reviewed the setup and stats looking for something amiss. Nothing. They recommended I switch channels which I did, trying all channels. At times it was fine for 2-3 hrs then It would drop connection. Sometimes I could not even connect to the router homepage until after I rebooted. Last resort was for EIR to send me a new router. The new router was fine for a 1-2 days then it probably dropped connection 10+ times in one day. Disconnecting and then reconnecting. 5G was more consistent but then this too started playing up. Factory reset did not help either.

My only option was to swap out the router for the Archer to see if I had the same symptoms. I've not had a single issue or drop yet and the speed is significantly better. I now have 34mb/s compared to 15. I plan on ringing Eir tech team again for further advice on the VOIP issue but based on my Archer experience in terms of performance and stability I wish to keep using it.

If you can post the stats I suggested we can point in you the right direction. It being what I think it is 2 mins on to Eir (if you can get through) and you'll have zero problems with the F2000.
    I plan on ringing Eir tech team again for further advice on the VOIP

Thats a dead end. Their dashboard doesnt provide them the info they would need to give you to make it work. A few other users on here have tried fruitlessly.

Hi Ed E
    I sent you a private message with the details you asked. One thing I should add and is what kicked all this off is that in particular the 2.4g was terrible. 5G was much more stable but a lot of my devices (Sonos, Alexa etc) only support 2.4G so these devices would all drop connection regularly.

Thanks

This proves my hunch is likely wrong.

IWDLBxX.png

You're set to 40_10 and neither unit should struggle.

I would advise disabling the wifi on the F2000, then following this guide for the Archer to use it as an AP.
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1199/

• Advertisement

OK Ed E thanks for the advice and for looking into this for me.

Will give it a go.

Advertisement