Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of rental income

Options
  • 26-05-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi. I had an industrial unit rented to a guy who left last year after I asked him to leave. He owes me 6 month's rent and refuses to pay me. I have invoiced him for the 6 month's but still refuses to pay. As soon as he left my premises, he had set up in a new unit straight away and is trading as a business. Is there any way of retrieving the money owed or am I wasting my time? He is retired from his job ( I won't say what he worked as) and is in receipt of a good pension. I was told that if I get an injunction against him, I can get a stop on his pension until the debt is paid. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Blue bull wrote: »
    Hi. I had an industrial unit rented to a guy who left last year after I asked him to leave. He owes me 6 month's rent and refuses to pay me. I have invoiced him for the 6 month's but still refuses to pay. As soon as he left my premises, he had set up in a new unit straight away and is trading as a business. Is there any way of retrieving the money owed or am I wasting my time? He is retired from his job ( I won't say what he worked as) and is in receipt of a good pension. I was told that if I get an injunction against him, I can get a stop on his pension until the debt is paid. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you have a contract? You asked him to break that contract and he obliged, can't see how that would hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

duploelabs wrote: »
    Did you have a contract? You asked him to break that contract and he obliged, can't see how that would hold up

The OP needs legal advice as to how to proceed. He will need to decide how much money he wants to spend chasing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Blue bull

Hi. Thanks for the reply. There was no contract. He was there about two years and and was paid up to date until the last six months. It's not a huge amount ( about €3500) but its the principal. Why should he get away without paying? Would it cost alot to go the legal route?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What did you have in writing? Do you have anything where he admits the debt at all?

Nothing in writing. I have a copy of the electricity bill which was still in his name even after he left as he never took it out of his name. I had to cancel the supply with electric Ireland. He was given receipts for the months that he did pay and invoiced for the months that he didn't pay. Everything is declared by me, ie, the rent. So I'm above board in that respect. He did say to me one time that he might not even bother sending in the receipts that I have given him as he's not doing a great turnover. So I'm not 100% sure if he is doing returns to revenue, but I definitely am declaring what I receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If there's no contract, then I'd be minded to seize whatever he has in the unit until he pays. I've no legal knowledge on which to suggest that at all, but it seems assuming there's something of value within the unit you have more power than he does. If there's nothing of value in the unit, then aren't you better off kicking him out ASAP?

He is gone. Left a few months ago. He owes me two months rent so I gave him his notice. It took him another four months to get all his stuff out. The unit is completely empty. Legally I wasn't even allowed to change the locks to keep any of his stuff until he coughed up. He didn't and he's now gone. He can't even use the excuse that he has no income as he has a new premises from where he's running his business. And also a good pension aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You’re a landlord, you got a tenant that paid for a couple of years but didn’t pay a few months’ rent. $#1t happens. You’ve nothing in writing, so you don’t know if the tenant was a company or an individual. Mod Snip You were lucky that ‘he’ left soon after being asked. Going to court because of the principle is a lawyer’s delight and is a recipe for disaster. Mod Snip

Mod Snipped to keep the post in the manner that we would like here at E&BM. You have another bad weekend Pedro?

The Gloomster!

All I was looking for was someone that may of had the same situation and how was it resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Apologies for rousing you from your slumber Gloom, you’re almost right – what weekend?

Advertisement