Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe maker ruined shoes

Options
  • 26-05-2019 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where we stand on this. My other half brought a pair of brown leather brogues to the shoe maker. He has only worn them once (to break them in) and he scuffed the toe so brought them to the shoe maker to have it buffed out.

When my other half left them in, the shoe maker said that the shoes might be slightly darker after the repair.

We collected the shoes today and they are a totally different colour to their original colour (gone from brown to a weird reddish tan) and the finish on them has changed from a semi-shiny leather to a weird creamy satin.

They look awful and cheap! They're my other half's wedding shoes and we're getting married in 2 weeks.

I told the shoe maker I wasn't happy, that the shoes were completely different looking and they now don't match the colour of my other half's suit.

The shoe maker was quite rude and tried to argue that he said the shoes would be a bit darker but they're not darker, they're a totally different colour and finish! After a bit of back and forth he said he would "take the cream off them."

We're collecting the shoes again tomorrow. Does anyone know if we any come back if we're not happy with what the shoe maker does to "fix" them. The shoes could potentially be no use to us now and we'll have to buy another new pair to match the suit.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

emzippy wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone knows where we stand on this.

Barefoot, wherever it is, by the sound of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

He gave you warning that he was going to have to redye them.

My advise would be to park this and re-buy the shoes. Too much going on with a wedding around the corner to worry about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Shoemaker? For a stuff mark? My advice is invest in a tin of kiwi and a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They were damaged before you handed them in, and he warned you about colour change in advance of repair.

I wear shoes around the house for a few days to break them in, what was he doing that required a repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭emzippy

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Shoemaker? For a stuff mark? My advice is invest in a tin of kiwi and a brush.

The only reason we brought them to the shoe maker is because they're wedding shoes and we wanted the job done correctly. Normally we wouldn't even be bothered about a scuff mark or just do them at home ourselves.

Jeepers, I normally like boards and I know it's a trivial issue in the grand scheme of things but I didn't think posters would be so smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

emzippy wrote: »
    The only reason we brought them to the shoe maker is because they're wedding shoes and we wanted the job done correctly. Normally we wouldn't even be bothered about a scuff mark or just do them at home ourselves.

Jeepers, I normally like boards and I know it's a trivial issue in the grand scheme of things but I didn't think posters would be so smart.

That is often the reaction of op’s who don’t get the response they were hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am afraid there is probably very little that you can do. He did warn you that the colour will be different afterwards so he has covered himself. He will claim he used the word different rather than darker.

See how they are tomorrow but to be honest I would be trying to source a different pair asap. It is unlikely they are going to be right for the suit/wedding.

Good luck with the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Stress of a wedding stops folk thinking clearly.

They're shoes. Buy new ones.

I get you probably panicked over the scuff and were doing your best to make things perfect but they guy did warn you.

The shoes will be grand when worn at another time.

You will laugh about this when it's all over.

Advertisement