Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK DBS

Options
  • 26-05-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there!
    I used to live and work in the UK and have now returned to live in Ireland. For my Teaching Council application I will need to submit a police clearance check (DBS like Garda Vetting) but I don’t know how to get one! The most recent one I have is from 2017 but, as I no longer have a UK address, I cannot figure out how to get a DBS cert to cover 2017-2018.

I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

If you're not on the DBS update service you could always request a police check...

I don't think you have to have a U.K. address. You can just list all the ones you lived at in the previous 5 years?

https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bell Eve

Thanks AJG. I have already tried that but you need to verify your ID and in order to verify your ID you need a UK address! If you don’t have an address it says you can bring your ID to a UK post office which doesn’t help me at all! I can’t seem to find a way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Bell Eve wrote: »
    Thanks AJG. I have already tried that but you need to verify your ID and in order to verify your ID you need a UK address! If you don’t have an address it says you can bring your ID to a UK post office which doesn’t help me at all! I can’t seem to find a way around it!

Could you drive to a post office over the border in NI to get your ID verified?

sitstill wrote: »

I’ll look into it! Might be my only hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

sitstill wrote: »

You read my mind... pretty much what I was going to suggest...

Although I could have sworn when I returned from the U.K. years ago I was able to request a police clearance from Ireland. That was probably circa 06/07 under the old CRB system though.

It's a hassle though. I'm subscribed to the update service because the agencies I work for remotely require it. But it seems to be largely a formality as I haven't lived in the U.K. in about 4 years.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

How do I subscribe to the update service?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Bell Eve wrote: »
    How do I subscribe to the update service?!

Once you have a valid DBS certificate you can pay £13 a year to have an online account. Employers can check your DBS online and you don’t have to keep applying for a check for every new job.

So it turns out you can’t apply for the update service unless you are making a new application (with a current UK address) or you have received a DBS certificate within the last 19 days - which wouldn’t be possible without a current UK address!

I contacted the DBS people directly and a got a very nice email in reply to tell me that it’s impossible to get what I’m looking for from them! They did send me this link though where I can get a record of my criminal history - or lack thereof!

So for anyone else who may be in a similar situation, just go here! https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject_Access_Online.aspx

Thanks for all your help!!!

Advertisement