Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something chomping my courgettes and lettuce

Options
  • 26-05-2019 6:20pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey

I have recently planted veg for the first time and have peas beans tomatoes peppers corn lettuce radishes and brocolloi growing.

Some going is selectively choosing to take dainty bites out of the lettuce and courgette, usually in the middle of a leaf. There doesn't appear to be any slime on them and the soil around them is topped up with coffee grounds and beer traps so I don't think n k it's slugs.

Any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While it is most likely very athletic, small slugs, are the holes round-edged or torn? Lots of things love lettuce though and there are a number of critters that lay eggs on leaves and the offspring munch their way out/through. Have a look on backs of leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey

I have recently planted veg for the first time and have peas beans tomatoes peppers corn lettuce radishes and brocolloi growing.

Some going is selectively choosing to take dainty bites out of the lettuce and courgette, usually in the middle of a leaf. There doesn't appear to be any slime on them and the soil around them is topped up with coffee grounds and beer traps so I don't think n k it's slugs.

Any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks
    I have seen small slugs abseil down onto foliage from above, on a string of slime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have seen small slugs abseil down onto foliage from above, on a string of slime.

Bactards:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

looksee wrote: »
    While it is most likely very athletic, small slugs, are the holes round-edged or torn? Lots of things love lettuce though and there are a number of critters that lay eggs on leaves and the offspring munch their way out/through. Have a look on backs of leaves.

They are mostly round

Nothing on the backs of leaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

I am doing rounds evey couple of nights,outside and inside the greenhouse.
    I have few nice pictures of the "night polinators"...i'll open a nee thread.

You will be shocked to discover how full rich is the ecosystem at night time...lots of small living creatures trying to live on the existing plants and trees... go outside after 11ish adn take a look...you will find an answer to your question then and there.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

I am doing rounds evey couple of nights,outside and inside the greenhouse.
    I have few nice pictures of the "night polinators"...i'll open a nee thread.

You will be shocked to discover how full rich is the ecosystem at night time...lots of small living creatures trying to live on the existing plants and trees... go outside after 11ish adn take a look...you will find an answer to your question then and there.

Just went out and it is slugs.

Have added Ferris oxide, eggshells and beer traps to the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

slugs; the dry weather makes them hungrier, Last week I opened my door one morning to find a heap of several dozen dead grey slugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

On my outside containers, i use coffee drops from the coffee machine.
    Makes a big difference.

Inside the greenhouse,i use nemaslugs,which used properly,can be spread outdoors as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For anyone sweeping a chimney after the winter the soot makes a god slug barrier

Advertisement