Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet Issue on Thinkpad X230

Options
  • 26-05-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

This is driving me mad. I have been using a Thinkpad X230 for ages and it's been grand, I've been using my home broadband and all has been good up until a week or two ago.
    One of two things have fecked up my Wi-Fi connection. The laptop is telling me it's connected but there's no internet- however loads of other devices are connected to it and functioning just fine. The two things I had done are:

Install a range extender and tried using the laptop to access it- which didn't work so I used a phone.

I tried connecting the laptop to my router via cable to see what the speed was coming down the line, however it didn't seem to work for whatever reason.

Doing some basic trouble shooting Windows 10 is telling me that:

'Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)

'Security or firewall settings might be blocking the connection'

'Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device (Wi-Fi connection) or resource (DNS server) is not responding.

Any ideas where to begin to resolve this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Rebooting router would be first then rebooting laptop (yes other devices can be connecting without issue this is common with one device being and issue)failing this change channel number on wifi setting on router. You can download wifi analyizer from play store or maybe apple store to scan for best wifi channel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I have no idea what happened but I went and uninstall a few programs last night and restarted the machine. Low and behold it worked.

I don't have very much installed on it as it's mainly used for browsing and downloading. Would ExpressVPN have likely caused any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Yes it would if active as it allows browsing of internet anonymously. If connection to expressvpn is failing your internet access would be affected.

Advertisement