Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighborhood advice - Ennis Road area

• 26-05-2019 7:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’d have a very good knowledge of the the Castletroy and city centre neighborhoods and have a decent knowledge of Raheen/Dooradoyle.

It’s been years since I looked at the Ennis Road to buy a home.

The area behind the Gaelic grounds has always been a nice quiet area from what I remember. Merval drive, Avondale drive, Oakland drive - that general area.

Anything change recently? Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss privately.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I would have grown up 5 minutes walk from that area, , a nice quiet area then, don't think much has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Its a very nice area.

The only drawback - and it may not necessarily be a drawback - is that when there are matches on in the Gaelic Grounds and sometimes Thomond Park, there will be a lot of cars parked around the area.

During the Great Limerick Run and when there are very big matches in the Gaelic Grounds (e.g. last weekend) you are inside the cordon, so you may get not be able to get your car out. Or may have to park it a short walk away if you need to use it.

But generally its a really nice area and a good place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Bicyclette wrote:
    But generally its a really nice area and a good place to live.

FutureGuy wrote:
    The area behind the Gaelic grounds has always been a nice quiet area from what I remember. Merval drive, Avondale drive, Oakland drive - that general area.

Greystones. It's pretty drab suburbia. Older housing stock, 3 bed semis. North Circular Road is more "desirable", if you can afford it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I noted this report yesterday...

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/01/10/local-concern-over-anti-social-behaviour-in-greystones/

Anyone from the area know the extent of the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Don't know anything of anti social behaviour, yes on a fine summers evening you might find youths hanging about in green area. More messy are people walking dogs and not picking up their ****e. Adults walking home from woodfield make more noise.

Quite neighbourhood.

Nice area to live, walking distance to city, local shops, schools, pub.

Older people dying off, younger people moving in, spot all the huge extensions, few houses being built in gardens.

Houses are getting old built in 1960's I think but are solid built houses, no noise from neighbours, big gardens, you might need new heating, wiring, insulation etc depending on house.

On big GAA match day lots of rd closures, residents allowed pass, only happens few times a year. Those big matches effect all roads in city.

Traffic on Ennis rd is very busy school drop off/pick up times otherwise is none issue. Could take half hour to drive to city instead of 5 mins.

10 years ago during last recession you could have picked one up for 100k :) During Celtic Tiger one sold 495k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think it takes much to get the local papers to do write-ups on (imaginary?) groups of feral youths terrorising neighbourhoods. Remember the Old Cratloe Road was meant to be like downtown Bazra a year or two ago?

It was around the same time jihadis were meant to be radicalising a gang of suicide bombers at one of the direct provision centres if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think it takes much to get the local papers to do write-ups on (imaginary?) groups of feral youths terrorising neighbourhoods. Remember the Old Cratloe Road was meant to be like downtown Bazra a year or two ago?

It was around the same time jihadis were meant to be radicalising a gang of suicide bombers at one of the direct provision centres if I recall correctly.

The OC road was a disaster area, I wouldn't let my kid walk down there, selling drugs openly and intimidation at any time of the day, it is under complete control now, Fair Play to all involved.

Ennis Road is bunches of kids with nowhere to go, they seem to need to be entertained and struggle to find things to do for themselves, (serious lack of imagination).
    The groups are large so all the places around there kick them out, my own kid tends not to go meet with his mates if the group is too big as all they do is hang around and get moved on, even though they are doing diddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

Living here. My car got stolen from my drive. I left keys outside like an idiot. Opportunist young ins I reckon as gardai retrieved it next day. Only thing wrong was it stunk of cigarettes. Thats about all that has gone on in last 10 years
    No issues with anti social behaviour that ive seen. Gets a bit nuts around matches but again good garda presence. Also nice neighboure, lots of younger families again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Grew up and lived on the ennis road near centra there and its a lovely spot, never any trouble.

Back in the late 90's there used to be a few groups of people bush drinking etc which stopped a few years later and is extremely quiet now.

You have schools, retail parks, a bowling alley, tesco, dunnes and lidl just in stones throw away and also a 20min walk to town, cant get better than that!

Advertisement