Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velcro straps bigger than a size 2

Options
  • 26-05-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

Most mainstream brands of runners stop doing Velcro straps at size 2 it seems. Has anyone come across brands that continue them for a couple of sizes beyond that? My 7 yr old can’t tie them yet, and I’d say his teacher is tormented tying them for him! I’m also conscious of summer camps etc where he will have to be taking off/changing shoes, it would be much easier if it wasn’t an issue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

You could try elastic laces. I am sure most sports shops stock them... or you could try online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

If any good those ones they had in Aldi i am nearly sure had those elastic straps that you just have to slip your foot into.. Take a look at Sports Direct online also, now it was smaller sizes we were looking at but we were in one of the stores recently and they had lots of velcro ones on them in bigger sizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

jlm29 wrote: »
    Most mainstream brands of runners stop doing Velcro straps at size 2 it seems. Has anyone come across brands that continue them for a couple of sizes beyond that? My 7 yr old can’t tie them yet, and I’d say his teacher is tormented tying them for him! I’m also conscious of summer camps etc where he will have to be taking off/changing shoes, it would be much easier if it wasn’t an issue!

ya its a problem our lad has dyspraxia so even at 9 he still cant tie them, i found a pair of lonsdale runners that had the straps they were black so i thought they were grand but he wont wear them as they are not cool enough, apparently waking around tripping over yourself is the height of fashion(god, do i sound like my farther now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We use magnetic lace ties because our school won’t tie laces and she has to have lace up runners. The ones we have are Zubits I think and they move from shoe to shoe so when she gets new ones they just go with her. They are on amazon. Homestore and more do plastic no tie laces too they are cheap enough around the euro mark for 4 (they go from eyelet to eyelet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

cyning wrote: »
    We use magnetic lace ties because our school won’t tie laces and she has to have lace up runners. The ones we have are Zubits I think and they move from shoe to shoe so when she gets new ones they just go with her. They are on amazon. Homestore and more do plastic no tie laces too they are cheap enough around the euro mark for 4 (they go from eyelet to eyelet).

These look great, I might give them a go. I don’t know if elastic laces would tie tight enough!

• Advertisement

I actually phoned a proper shoe shop that does Clark etc, they have some options in a size 3, so that’s my first stop I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have a dyspraxic 11 year old and while he can the his laces he tends to just leave them tied and put them on/off without opening. So the backs of them are always ruined. But for school this year I got a great pair of black regatta walking shoes, waterproof, size 4 with Velcro straps. So they do exist, just difficult to find.

tscul32 wrote: »
    I have a dyspraxic 11 year old and while he can the his laces he tends to just leave them tied and put them on/off without opening. So the backs of them are always ruined. But for school this year I got a great pair of black regatta walking shoes, waterproof, size 4 with Velcro straps. So they do exist, just difficult to find.

Thanks, it’s runners he needs at the moment, it’s actually not as hard to find school shoes according to a few people. We’re going shopping this afternoon- failing that we will amputate some toes!!! Hopefully he’ll learn how to tie them over the summer anyhow, but summer camps etc will be a nuisance for everyone in the mean time, and I’m pregnant enough at the moment that I struggle to tie my own shoes, not to mind someone else’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

jlm29 wrote: »
    Thanks, it’s runners he needs at the moment, it’s actually not as hard to find school shoes according to a few people. We’re going shopping this afternoon- failing that we will amputate some toes!!! Hopefully he’ll learn how to tie them over the summer anyhow, but summer camps etc will be a nuisance for everyone in the mean time, and I’m pregnant enough at the moment that I struggle to tie my own shoes, not to mind someone else’s!

Definitely get the magnet things if you can’t: I must get another pair for the football and Astro turf boots for soccer and football camps etc. I give up on her learning for now, she will get there eventually in the mean time they are so handy!

Got him sketchers today. They had Clark’s in his size too, and I looked on the clarks website, they definitely had some of them in a size 4 too

• Advertisement
Advertisement