Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Authenticator 2 factor lost after restore

Options
  • 26-05-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

iphone 6. latest ios.

Backed up, restored, same phone, authenticator lost all its settings. Its asking me to set up from fresh.

All crypto logins, facebook ,google, all gone.

Why didnt I back them up? I did, in the iphone backup. :mad::mad::mad:

Firstly, anyone any idea how I can restore them from the iphone backup? The iphone restore works fine.

Secondly - backup your keys manually, mail them to yourself, to avoid havin to find out my first question above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

There’s no way to restore the tokens that I’ve found to date. I moved to Microsoft Authenticator for this exact reason. All the tokens are backed up now. Authy also offers backup. Sorry this isn’t helping you with lost tokens but might help next time around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All my auths disappeared, too, recently I had to dig out recovery keys which I'd added to Notes. Did you keep any of those anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

afraid not, no backups. Im going trough the slow process of contacting each company to verify my identity.

google authenticator urgghhhhh

1 thing, Id recently setup 2fa with facebook and had the qr code image in my photos. set up a new auth with it but fb not recognising it. I got through to fb anyway but it doesnt fill me with confidence that even if I did have backups that theyed work...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

apope8 wrote: »

not really, Id read that early on, its assuming I have the old authenticator installed with all the codes. When authenticator is restored with the rest of my apps, all the settings are lost. If Id known beforehand that that happened I could have carried out those steps to a standby phone or at the very least find some way of exporting them somewhere manually.

Ive authenticated with most of the sites by now, think Ive only 2 crypto sites left.

thanks though

• Advertisement
Advertisement