Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

... The views on him are so strong and he's so terrible it shouldn't be hard to find.

You what now?

Maybe I misunderstood what GATT24 was about. But you could maybe explain it to me and others on here?

What is it in Brexit that you believe in so strongly?

Why do you think that the Brexit Party will do so well in a FPTP system with a higher turnout?

(A) Of course they do. That's exactly how it would be if the shoe was on the other foot as well! The sky is blue also!

(B) No flies on you! Why would you wan't a second referendum if you "presumed" the result would be repeated?

(C) Not to sound glib "but eh, duh!"

The one time? You're going for melodrama now?

Any thoughts on the illegal funding and lies pouted by the leave side and the continued revelations that show how shady it all was?

Do any right-wingers drink lattes or almond milk?

So those that were lied to and cheated just have to "suck it up" under threat of the "decen[t] [sic]" of anarchy from the lying cheating charlatans who caused this needless kerfuffle?

Hardly seems reasonable.

Whut?

What liying charlatans?

EU Army?
    Tax Harmonisation?
    Federal Europe?
    ECJ overruling home courts?

If noe of these are true and never will be then Guy Vohsfool, Drunker, Rusk, Brainer need to come on national TV and give their word along with a caveat that if they even try such will make all the treaties non and void.

The EU Army and Federal Europe attempts alone will likely be the cause of a world war in europe, no right-minded person wants these things.

The very fact these ideas have been uttered by these people has made me just want to see the EU gone.[/QUOTE]

---

The hack of that attempt to quote!

What liying charlatans?

EU Army?
    Tax Harmonisation?
    Federal Europe?

No EU Army.
    No Tax Harmonisation.
    Not a thing and there's no appetite for it.
    ECJ is something countries sign up to willingly. What's so wrong with the ECJ?

---

Instead of introducing more nonsense that has been debunked over and over from your previous attempts on here, could you please go back to my original post and answer the questions I asked.

The rest of your post is just classic Brexiteer nonsense.

Tbhe British people didn't....the most treacherous PM in history did.

It's her job to run the country I thought?

You hardly want a Swiss-style confederation now do you with Co-presidents and direct democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Are we still talking about Article 24? Even the hardest of hardcore brexiteer mps dont bring that subject up anymore, it was dead in the water months ago.

Last week on the politics show Andrew Neil asked staunch leaver Andrea Jenkyns a question about the WTO trading rules and she couldn't even muster a basic reply, just straight out admitted she didn't know much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

What liying charlatans?

EU Army?
    Tax Harmonisation?
    Federal Europe?

If noe of these are true and never will be then Guy Vohsfool, Drunker, Rusk, Brainer need to come on national TV and give their word along with a caveat that if they even try such will make all the treaties non and void.

The EU Army and Federal Europe attempts alone will likely be the cause of a world war in europe, no right-minded person wants these things.

The very fact these ideas have been uttered by these people has made me just want to see the EU gone.

---

The hack of that attempt to quote!

No EU Army.
    No Tax Harmonisation.
    Not a thing and there's no appetite for it.
    ECJ is something countries sign up to willingly. What's so wrong with the ECJ?

---

Instead of introducing more nonsense that has been debunked over and over from your previous attempts on here, could you please go back to my original post and answer the questions I asked.

The rest of your post is just classic Brexiteer nonsense.[/QUOTE]

EU army is called for by the ldership of the EU, Merkel and Macron. THis is a national secuirty threat and should be stopped at all costs. Washington should nip this one in the bud.
    Majority and not veto system on Tax being called for by the very top of the EU, this must be stopped at all costs.
    Federal Europe, same as 1939, must be stopped at all costs.
    ECJ, national courts overseen by the states law makers should be supreme, no higher court should exsist. Must be blocked at all costs.

It's her job to run the country I thought?

You hardly want a Swiss-style confederation now do you with Co-presidents and direct democracy?

She hung on as long as she could even when she knew 1 year back the public hated her as PM. She was focused on her mission to destory the will of the people. She underestimated the peoples grit.

• Advertisement

She hung on as long as she could even when she knew 1 year back the public hated her as PM. She was focused on her mission to destory the will of the people. She underestimated the peoples grit.

Ah lad will you come off it.

Could you answer any of the questions we have asked you since you barrelled in here earlier with no back up toi any of your statements.

Are we still talking about Article 24? Even the hardest of hardcore brexiteer mps dont bring that subject up anymore, it was dead in the water months ago.

Last week on the politics show Andrew Neil asked staunch leaver Andrea Jenkyns a question about the WTO trading rules and she couldn't even muster a basic reply, just straight out admitted she didn't know much about it.

Why, the country can just leave. I admit I was indifferent about the EU at the referendum but as the last 3 years have unfolded and I have waatched them in action I have never wanted anything more in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

WA rammed down the throats of leavers? Unicorns?

You have no idea on how this will end. The only time I can see a WA rammed down the British throat and the brexiteers having to accept it will have to be in the same way western europe had panzer tanks rammed down their throat. This is gone way beyond the british just getting beaten back into the corner and suck it up.

Brexit has to happen as the thought of the other journey is frightning of where it will take Europe. Never again.
    Let the people go.
    Their people are free to go - what they are not free to do is leave while stealing all our stuff (which is what they want).
    As for “letting people go” - all they have to do is let our people go and they can have a deal - it is the UK who refuse to let OUR people go.
    OUR people who voted to remain in the EU.
    OUR people who voted for remain MEPs.
    OUR people the vast majority of whom want a backstop.
    OUR people who the British government refuses to let go free to decide their own fate.
    LET OUR PEOPLE GO.
    Then all problems with Brexit are resolved.
    Instead the UK has threatened, bullied, blackmailed and sought to undermine Ireland - 800+ years of oppression, murder, suppression, violence, genocide and ethnic cleansing - why should Ireland accept that ever again?

Never again.

This is gone way beyond the IRISH just getting beaten back into the corner and suck it up.

Brexit has to happen as the thought of the other journey is frightning of where it will take Europe. .
    Project fear nonsense.
    In any case, the Backstop has to happen as the thought of the other journey is frightning of where it will take the UK (or the bits of it that will remain after a no deal).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why, the country can just leave. I admit I was indifferent about the EU at the referendum but as the last 3 years have unfolded and I have waatched them in action I have never wanted anything more in my entire life.
    I've skipped a few pages so may have missed something but are you really saying that after the last 3 years you think the behaviour of the EU towards the UK was bad and that the behaviour of the UK is something to admire?
    Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's nothing but vacuous lamenting without exploration of the facts or implications.

None of the evidence, none of it, has shown that the UK will be better off when it leaves than as a member. The Brexiteers have tailored their statements from 'nothing but sunlit uplands' to a '30 year downturn period' in the time since the referendum. It is plain to everyone (including Brexiteers), that the electorate who voted to leave were sold a pig in a sack before the referendum and the majority of people no longer want to do so.

But, the prominent Brexiteers will be shielded from the harshness of such a downturn, and the less prominent Brexiteers are so anti-establishment, they cannot see the evidence in front of them.

• Advertisement

fash wrote: »
    Their people are free to go - what they are not free to do is leave while stealing all our stuff (which is what they want).
    As for “letting people go” - all they have to do is let our people go and they can have a deal - it is the UK who refuse to let OUR people go.
    OUR people who voted to remain in the EU.
    OUR people who voted for remain MEPs.
    OUR people the vast majority of whom want a backstop.
    OUR people who the British government refuses to let go free to decide their own fate.
    LET OUR PEOPLE GO.
    Then all problems with Brexit are resolved.
    Instead the UK has threatened, bullied, blackmailed and sought to undermine Ireland - 800+ years of oppression, murder, suppression, violence, genocide and ethnic cleansing - why should Ireland accept that ever again?

Never again.

This is gone way beyond the IRISH just getting beaten back into the corner and suck it up.

. Project fear nonsense.
    In any case, the Backstop has to happen as the thought of the other journey is frightning of where it will take the UK (or the bits of it that will remain after a no deal).

Nobody cares about the north. UK should just leave and flip the north overnight onto the Republic. And the close the land bridge and make it all WTO.

Then very mention of that would have "your" people in the province pleading for westminster to stay.

Also, the safest way for the UK to maintain the union is to undermine the EU and ensure its demise. UK has the global and national secuirty apparatus to facilitate that.

It would be for peace and the good on all of Europe for the EU to be stopped. What is happening in france is a disgrace and they have now ignored 7 referendums of its member states.

That's nothing but vacuous lamenting without exploration of the facts or implications.

None of the evidence, none of it, has shown that the UK will be better off when it leaves than as a member. The Brexiteers have tailored their statements from 'nothing but sunlit uplands' to a '30 year downturn period' in the time since the referendum. It is plain to everyone (including Brexiteers), that the electorate who voted to leave were sold a pig in a sack before the referendum and the majority of people no longer want to do so.

But, the prominent Brexiteers will be shielded from the harshness of such a downturn, and the less prominent Brexiteers are so anti-establishment, they cannot see the evidence in front of them.

EU was fine 20 years ago. Nobody wanted or asked for further intergration. I like the new EU memebr states but it should just be a free trade area with common standards. They got greedy and meglomaniac and now it must be dismantled.

Sure, the UK can and could well leave, but it is absolutely certain that a vast majority of the population do not want to crash out with no deal so it's nowhere near as simple as you portray it. They may say there is no legal way for parliament to stop it happening, but i dont fully subscribe to that myself. If the will is there - and it is there resoundingly so - it will find a way. I am quite certain of that and I think ardent leavers should prepare themselves for it or find a better strategy than the one they are currently pursuing.

Sure, the UK can and could well leave, but it is absolutely certain that a vast majority of the population do not want to crash out with no deal so it's nowhere near as simple as you portray it. They may say there is no legal way for parliament to stop it happening, but i dont fully subscribe to that myself. If the will is there - and it is there resoundingly so - it will find a way. I am quite certain of that and I think ardent leavers should prepare themselves for it or find a better strategy than the one they are currently pursuing.
    It's effectively now a modern day war, this is how they are fought, politics, spin and threats of trucks for miles at dover.

They have to win, for good and for freedom, this is now bigger then brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Parliament still thankfully has a majority of intelligent people within its ranks. Parliament is sovereign remember? They do not subscribe to a NO DEAL exit, nor do they subscribe to the WA either. What the F do they want?

That is the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

EU was fine 20 years ago. Nobody wanted or asked for further intergration. I like the new EU memebr states but it should just be a free trade area with common standards. They got greedy and meglomaniac and now it must be dismantled.

Describe your view of EU megalomania for us peasants please.

It's effectively now a modern day war, this is how they are fought, politics, spin and threats of trucks for miles at dover.

They have to win, for good and for freedom, this is now bigger then brexit.

Nah, the people dont want this kind of Tommy Robinson rubbish talk. Made that clear at the polls last week. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

EU army is called for by the ldership of the EU, Merkel and Macron. THis is a national secuirty threat and should be stopped at all costs. Washington should nip this one in the bud.

Interesting that you see the EU, of which we are a paid up member and have a seat at the top table as a national security threat, but are quite happy for a non-member foreign state with which we have very limited leverage, to overrule the organisation in which we participate. How would the USA dictating the terms by which we and Europe as whole constitute our national defence not be a threat to our national security? :confused: Unless of course you are looking at this from the perspective of an American.

Nobody cares about the north. UK should just leave and flip the north overnight onto the Republic. And the close the land bridge and make it all WTO.

I think there's a lot of people that would like to build a 10ft high wall around England and Wales...

... And then fill it with water.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A few too many flippant one-liners of late

Up the standards please.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody voted for further integration? Of course they did the EU is a group of member states, with certain states getting certain vetos.

So the UK voted, it didn't vote against, further integration. In fact the UK were one of the drivers towards Turkey joining.

Now, the fact that most UK voters didn't bother to check, and less than 40% bothered to vote in EU elections is not the fault of the EU. UK voters stayed in the pub or voted in jokers like Farage whilst the rest of the EU sent politicians and paid attention.

As is repeatedly said by Brexiteers, the UK has vast resources, 5th biggest economy and should have all the power yet they appear to have been completely subjegatated by the rest of the EU, each being tiny.

So rather than creating bogeymen and using childish schoolground nicknames for people you and the UK voters should 1st ask yourselves how can the EU have been so powerful as to ignore the UK in such a way. Is it A) it is all powerful - in which case it seems crazy to try to take them on on your own, or B) the voters and politicians have let the country down.

Neither one is a good look but far easier to blame others rather than look at oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

It is starting to look like another extension may be on the cards.
    Both major parties are in flux and neither want an election.
    Corbyn has been undermined by the result of the election, May defeated by it.
    Any new leader, of either party or both, still has to deal with the same Parliament.
    The arguments are all the same as are the people and likely the numbers.

The only problem with a new extension is Macron. Will he dig his heals in?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sink wrote: »
    Interesting that you see the EU, of which we are a paid up member and have a seat at the top table as a national security threat, but are quite happy for a non-member foreign state with which we have very limited leverage, to overrule the organisation in which we participate. How would the USA dictating the terms by which we and Europe as whole constitute our national defence not be a threat to our national security? :confused: Unless of course you are looking at this from the perspective of an American.

Absolutely beautiful point crypto makes.

He has proven to me explicitly he gets his information from RT and Facebook.

America good.... Trump in charge.

America bad ... Obama in charge .

Russia good ... Putin in charge.

EU bad.... Multiple nations in charge usually Germany and France booo.

You would cut your ears off and your eyes out listening and reading this form of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Brexit has to happen. The first 3 items on any trade deal agenda will be financial, citizens rights and backstop. So sign now or sign later, whatever suits.

A unilateral revoke of A50 by the UK Parliament is possible until October 31.

The WA text - all of it except the transition periods - must be ratified by the UK Parliament before the EU27 will start any negotiations about the future relations.
    This include trade including Non-Tariff-Barriers and country/region of origin for goods. And non trade items like radioactive isotopes for medical use, UK lorries driving in EU27, planes flying with passengers or cargo between the UK and any EU27 state, fishing rights and (unchanged) access to fishing grounds etc etc.

The EU27 will not even talk.

The UK auto industry will be half its current size literally within weeks and many more than Honda will leave. Fish and farm export will very fast grind to a halt.
    The UK will have to accept a deal - almost any deal - most urgently.

Lars :)

https://twitter.com/LarsFJ1/status/1129875012993863680

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Then very mention of that would have "your" people in the province pleading for westminster to stay.

Also, the safest way for the UK to maintain the union is to undermine the EU and ensure its demise. UK has the global and national secuirty apparatus to facilitate that.

It would be for peace and the good on all of Europe for the EU to be stopped. What is happening in france is a disgrace and they have now ignored 7 referendums of its member states.

You are really letting emotion take you over to the point of delusion.
    You need to take a step back look at the world around you do a bit of research inform yourself and I’m sure you will come to realise things are not as bad as you think.
    There is no need to undermine and ensure the demise of anyone.
    Why would you use such language ???

I asked for further integration - as did a lot of people who voted for Lisbon. In fact, I want even more integration.
    Why do you have to lie?

Nobody cares about the north.
    The people of Ireland care. We voted on that.

UK should just leave and flip the north overnight onto the Republic. And the close the land bridge and make it all WTO.

A very large amount of people in the North and in Ireland would be very happy if that happened - and would be pleading with Westminster to make it happen is they thought it likely.
    I see that the people of Ireland are not "your" people - which is fortunate for you as it would certainly help in a charge of treason.
    And it would be safest for 500 million Europeans (as well as various random states around the world who have been subject to attack and invasion by the UK- e.g. Iraq and the various minorities there) to ensure the demise of the UK.

Thankfully, you are helping to bring that about.

It was only through the EU that peace was brought to Ireland - if it were left to the British, ethnic cleansing would have happened at this stage.
    t would be for peace and the good on all of Europe for the EU to be stopped. What is happening in france is a disgrace and they have now ignored 7 referendums of its member states.
    Which referendums have been ignored? Certainly not the Irish ones where all is the Irish concerns were addressed in detail and agreed to.
    What is happening in France and what has that got to do with the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dismantling the EU would probably cause catastrophic social and economic disruption across the planet, particularly in Europe, it's important we do everything we can to prevent this from happening, the creation of the EU has benefitted us more so than harmed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why, the country can just leave.

Yes, and that is enough for the likes of Farage.

But someone who gets to be PM has to consider: then what?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Yes, and that is enough for the likes of Farage.

But someone who gets to be PM has to consider: then what?

I wondered about this.
    Several of those throwing their hat in the ring want to be the PM to take Britain out.
    But how many of them want to be PM in the aftermath? Are they all that deluded that they don’t see the consequences pretty much all of us are able to see?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement