Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jm08 wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on the supermarket shelves, particularly Tesco and a lot of their own brand stuff that was British is now Irish or EU (butter, cheese, yougourt etc). I notice a pizza that I used get from Aldi is now made in Ireland with EU sourced Pork, so they are well ahead of the game in changing their suppliers

Isn't that just good forward planning though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Fair assumption and so did 63 other MPs given the DUP have 10 MPs. I honestly don't know how the DUP can talk about the "precious union" and not have things like SSM and access to abortion in northern ireland. Maybe I've become immune to the utter logic vacuum they operate in.

8 of the 10 MPs voted against both. Two were tellers and couldn't vote. This is the party of creationism and climate change denial so no surprise.

8 of the 10 MPs voted against both. Two were tellers and couldn't vote. This is the party of creationism and climate change denial so no surprise.

So with the votes going in favour of the two items. Is it basically **** or get off the pot for the DUP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The fact he didn't go to third level is the least of Corbyn's problems given the carry on within the labour party as a whole.

That's what you think, but much of the carry-on is made up nonsense printed by the papers because Corbyn is the wrong sort of person to be allowed into power, because, among other things, he went to South America to hang out with lefties when he should have been at Oxford.

Blair and the Millibands, see, they were electable Labour chaps.

Guess where they went to University?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what channel is the Conservative leaders debate on tonight?

ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what channel is the Conservative leaders debate on tonight?

Only LBC I think. Download the app. Just stream it like radio 1 or today fm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

I've been keeping an eye on the supermarket shelves, particularly Tesco and a lot of their own brand stuff that was British is now Irish or EU (butter, cheese, yougourt etc). I notice a pizza that I used get from Aldi is now made in Ireland with EU sourced Pork, so they are well ahead of the game in changing their suppliers

Isn't that just good forward planning though ?
    We're talking about Brexit here, the very concept of good forward thinking is fecking revolutionary.

Just on the SSM and Abortion votes and the deadline of October 31st, could Sinn Fein slow roll the talks to delay the reestablishment of the assembly ?

It's not that someone went to Oxford.

It's that everyone who's anyone went to Oxford, and Corbyn didn't go to University at all. So he's unelectable.

And if they say it often enough, even people like you who didn't go to Oxford start believing it.
    So why did you bring the fact that the Guardian's editor went to Oxford? Isn't she "someone"?

He's unelectable because he dithers, dissembles and lacks charisma. He also ignored his own MPs and his party's membership wishes on Brexit. This is why his approval rating is dire. Not because he didn't go to Oxford and other people did. No point blaming Oxford or The Guardian. If the public think he's useless, and they do, then he's a problem for Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, it's on ITV1 : it's a TV debate

• Advertisement

In a surprise to nobody the top five trends on twitter for Ireland are all about the votes that just past in the HOC.

Just on the SSM and Abortion votes and the deadline of October 31st, could Sinn Fein slow roll the talks to delay the reestablishment of the assembly ?

If they have any sense SF are going to go to town with this and make it political hay against the DUP. This could be a moment they get to pitch to everyone and seem reasonable. DUP are a laughing stock right now and their inevitable meltdown about Westminster going over their heads is a huge open goal for sf to score in

That's what you think, but much of the carry-on is made up nonsense printed by the papers because Corbyn is the wrong sort of person to be allowed into power, because, among other things, he went to South America to hang out with lefties when he should have been at Oxford.

Blair and the Millibands, see, they were electable Labour chaps.

Guess where they went to University?

Gordon Brown.

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, it's on ITV1 : it's a TV debate

My mistake. Thanks.
    I don’t watch tv.

LBC have been promoting the fact their airing it all day. I thought it was them alone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So odd how international diplomacy between the UK and US is now conducted through Twitter.
    Jeremy Hunt is now addressing Trump directly on Twitter - saying Ambassador stays if he is PM.

I thought he was due to go in January anyway?

Tesco will be easily able to separate Tesco Ireland into a stand alone company - there is some crossover into their UK operations, but it's not all that significant. It could mean quite a few changes though.

They already are for such operational purposes, they can source their own goods and implement their own policies. But that's not the issue, it's the simple practicalities.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Latest tweet from Corbyn suggests he might have climbed back on the fence somewhat
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1148622129266663425

Earlier he was talking about remain, now he's talking about a vote on no deal or a Tory deal.

Did I miss something?

devnull wrote: »
    Latest tweet from Corbyn suggests he might have climbed back on the fence somewhat
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1148622129266663425

Earlier he was talking about remain, now he's talking about a vote on no deal or a Tory deal.

Did I miss something?

Jeremy Corbyn obfuscating? Surely some mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A very substantial % of all EU frozen pizza is made in Ireland so importing was always an oddity

First thing I thought of. It wouldn't be hard for them to make it not look like they're dragging their feet as things move glacially up there anyway. That, and the summer breaks, play into their hands to basically have Westminster do what they've been trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very good question, as we know SSM is a huge win for them and something they've been campaigning for a long time, whilst knowing this really hurts the DUP. Personally I think it's in their best interests to keep the Stormont gates locked until after this date, as to avoid the DUP submitting their petition of concern. I don't know how they will play it, they don't really have to do much for now. RHI enquiry findings are going to come out sooner or later and I'd imagine that will again reflect very poorly on the DUP, Foster in particular.

One thing is for sure though, the DUP will be frantically clawing for anything to stop this happening, I just wonder how far they will go, up to and including pulling support for the Conservatives, collapsing the UK government. A more tolerant, progressive society is detrimental to their outlook. I think this will be a very hot summer, weather aside.

(I don't know as much on the abortion ruling, I'm not very well up on that, but I'd imagine it's broadly the same.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The DUP don't have the numbers for a petition of concern anymore. They would need UUP support and while I'm fairly sure that would be forthcoming on abortion it would be *very* unlikely on SSM

They basically have an inverse Sophie's choice, who do they want to throw under the bus more, gays and their marriage along with women and choices, or SF and their Irish Language Act.

Either way their heads will be bursting whichever way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Definitely ITV, Not sure about UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Guido Fawkes are certainly making hay with the statement about checks being done away from the border:

https://order-order.com/2019/07/09/ireland-plans-checks-away-border-theres-no-deal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+guidofawkes+%28Guy+Fawkes%27+blog+of+parliamentary+plots%2C+rumours+and+conspiracy%29

Personally i don't agree with checks away from border. I think the optics of physical border infastructure is important here. Additionally, if checks are done away from the border - how could that not be wholly abused by chancers?

It seems the DUP are threatening to not continue the confidence and supply agreement with the new PM. I've been looking on twitter at the many trending topics on the votes today, and obviously a lot of people who have campaigned on one or both of the issues are understandably happy. I feel uneasy when people are tweeting it's a done deal on both issues. Do they not understand that the DUP will anything they can to stop this happening ?

It seems the DUP are threatening to not continue the confidence and supply agreement with the new PM

Does it really matter? It has been passed by parliament.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Does it really matter? It has been passed by parliament.

It was passed on the provision that it comes into effect in October if there still isn't an assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

“The truth is we will need to take some action somewhere in our economy to ensure we are protecting the integrity of the products that are going to be sold on out of Ireland,” Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said on Tuesday, referring to cross-border checks, especially animal products, in a no-deal Brexit

“(But) we are not going to put checks on the border or close to it,” he told reporters in Dublin.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ireland/ireland-flags-need-for-no-deal-brexit-checks-just-not-at-border-idUSKCN1U41P1

Can't say i agree with Conveny on this.
    So chlorinated chicken and GMO produce is ok to be sold in Ireland, so long as it doesn't exit to the mainland?

• Advertisement

It was passed on the provision that it comes into effect in October if there still isn't an assembly.

Exactly, so the DUP can't really do a whole lot about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement