Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Hurrache wrote: »
    Exactly, so the DUP can't really do a whole lot about it.

Can the government not drop the bill (and obviously have to call an election) if the DUP threaten to take down the government?

As for Dodds describing it as 'driving a cart and horse through devolution', serves the MLAs right for not doing their jobs in Stormont the last few years. Massive own goal from DUP.

Expect this debate to be more nonsense like the earlier ones. Hopefully they get called on their pipedreams tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BluePlanet wrote:
    Can't say i agree with Conveny on this. So chlorinated chicken and GMO produce is ok to be sold in Ireland, so long as it doesn't exit to the mainland?

It may not stop at the border but it will stop well before your plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Exactly, so the DUP can't really do a whole lot about it.

They could get the assembly back up and running.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    The sockets thing mentioned above is a good point that has come up before. If there's a legislative change needed to allow Schuko and Europlug plugs on devices here we should probably rush it through and let people buy adapters or socket strips with a BS plug and Schuko sockets

There is a high cost to change the sockets and plugs in a house.

I have about 50 sockets and fifty plugs around my house. To change each socket would cost €50 to €100 to do the lot. To change plugs would be from €10 to €20 each. Alternatively, adapters would cost from €10 to €20 each. We would first have to have a standard plug adopted here - how long will that take?

As for cars, most cars bought here will be supplied from European suppliers who already supply LHD and RHD so no problem. Japanese and Korean cars are already supplied from outside the EU. Jaguar/LandRover are UK only suppliers, but not a major supplier. Nissan and Honda are manufacturing in the UK but will not be for long if there is a hard Brexit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »
    The sockets thing mentioned above is a good point that has come up before. If there's a legislative change needed to allow Schuko and Europlug plugs on devices here we should probably rush it through and let people buy adapters or socket strips with a BS plug and Schuko sockets
    Complete non-issue. Lots of different standards.

The only universal thing about Schuko is that you'll be able to buy a local adaptor more easily than an Irish one.

In Italy there's the 2 pin Europlug, two different three-pins-in-a-row plugs and Shuko, and the latter is likely to be in the bathroom.

If the EU wanted to be evil then EN50160 would be changed to 220V rather than sort of 230V to accommodate the UK's 240V

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As for cars, most cars bought here will be supplied from European suppliers who already supply LHD and RHD so no problem. Japanese and Korean cars are already supplied from outside the EU. Jaguar/LandRover are UK only suppliers, but not a major supplier. Nissan and Honda are manufacturing in the UK but will not be for long if there is a hard Brexit.
    LHD is grandfathered into EU regulations so a complete non-issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

They’re pumping the volume on Boris when He speaks. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just on the SSM and Abortion votes and the deadline of October 31st, could Sinn Fein slow roll the talks to delay the reestablishment of the assembly ?

It has been answered already but this will make for fascinating viewing on what the DUP will actually do now. They can stop it, by having Stormont back in session. But to do that you know SF will extract every little thing they can. They can refuse support for the Tories, but then they lose their power. Seems like they have lost their power they have and will either have to cede at Stormont or allow SSM and abortion in Northern Ireland.

They’re pumping the volume on Boris when He speaks. Weird.
    Boris is louder in real life too.

He got to give his spiel first too.

Take a drink every time there's a unicorn.

Boris is louder in real life too.

He got to give his spiel first too.

Take a drink every time there's a unicorn.

Every time...?? :eek:

I can see why Boris is popular, he even had me smiling with the Christmas even though I thought he was being rude.

They're not being called out on the fact EU has already rejected maxfac etc, on what this "technology" is and so on.

Waste of time.

• Advertisement

Boris just hung himself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Complete non-issue. Lots of different standards.

The only universal thing about Schuko is that you'll be able to buy a local adaptor more easily than an Irish one.

In Italy there's the 2 pin Europlug, two different three-pins-in-a-row plugs and Shuko, and the latter is likely to be in the bathroom.

If the EU wanted to be evil then EN50160 would be changed to 220V rather than sort of 230V to accommodate the UK's 240V

The problem is not just plugs.

There is a very different philosophy on wiring.

The Germans have a fuse for every plug (generally 16 amp). The French prefer a two pin no-earth for low loads and a 3 pin earthed plug for heavy loads. However they wire as the Germans,

The UK believe in a ring main with diversification so load is shared on both sides of the ring with the plug carrying a fuse (generally 13 amp for the plug and 30 amp for the ring). This is considered dangerous by both the French and Germans.

We cannot just change our plugs and sockets for continental ones because they are not consistent with our wiring. Only Brazil uses the new EU standard three pin plug.

This is horribly biased so far in Johnson’s favour. She hasn’t asked Johnson anything like as hard questions Hunts got.

Johnson is now answering a question asked to hunt without hunt answering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm dipping in and out, but I think Boris is performing awfully here. I doubt it makes a difference as he's nailed on as PM, but it's not a good showing.

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm dipping in and out, but I think Boris is performing awfully here. I doubt it makes a difference as he's nailed on as PM, but it's not a good showing.

There was a moment where he got caught out and simply smiled. He knows it's in the bag already and isn't bothered.

Boris doesn't want to do a deal with other parties , will deliver Brexit ourselves.

The target audience is paid up Tories, but that sounds like a GE is in the offing and DUP under the next bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Boris just hung himself

Missed the start of the debate (got distracted watching Midsummer) - how please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They could get the assembly back up and running.

SF - We'd like the Irish Language, Gay marriage and abortion.
    DUP - No!
    SF - [to camera] See guys, we're not asking for anything to be different than what the UK think is right, we're the reasonable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This moves seems genius alright. The DUP were fat, dumb and happy being kingmaker, making noise in Westminster and extracting little bribes, all the while ignoring half the NI population they claimed to represent.

These bills have now forced their hand. They now have to come to an arrangement with SF etc to restore Stormont if they want to see off this legislation, and prevent it becoming law. I guess a lot of their constituents are contacting them now to save their abortion ban and marriage laws.

Granted, the laws could potentially be 'unammended' in the future, but it's harder to remove it once its law. I'd say the DUP can't believe this was pushed by right in front of their nosed in their precious UK parliament. It also underlines the hypocrisy of their position as regards their double standards. 'No different to the UK, except in all the ways that we think are of benefit'.

Only problem in terms of forcing them back to the Stormont negotiating table is the fact that SF et all wont concede on abortion or equal marriage now it is effectively won. Added to that they want language rights, which would be a precondition. The DUP will be raging. What can they 'offer' the DUP? So this is a push to the DUP to get moving, but they are so obstinate and difficult it's still hard to see them facilitating a working scenario for government in NI.

It's all Looney Tunes stuff until Brexit is resolved anyway. Northern Ireland is really at the whim of whatever the Brexit maniacs do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,149 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God Boris talks so much ****e, the guy doesnt have an honest bone in his body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

SF - We'd like the Irish Language, Gay marriage and abortion.
    DUP - No!
    SF - [to camera] See guys, we're not asking for anything to be different than what the UK think is right, we're the reasonable ones.

Just made a really long post on this, could've saved myself the effort! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

On the ambassador and Trump's comments, did anyone else think Boris positively smirked when he condemned the leaking of civil servants' analyses? I know he often seems rather insincere, but that came over as positively gleeful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Boris Johnson is an increasingly terrifying thought as UK Prime Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Shades of Trump with Johnson, in that he won elections when nobody thought he would.

ouch, Hunt got a slightly tougher question than Boris.

OAP Tories care far more about strikes in the health service than about someone from a different ethnic group in a foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just made a really long post on this, could've saved myself the effort! :pac:

Ha, mine is the tabloid edition, yours the broadsheet!

I’m not prime minister...at the moment

Jesus Christ how are people taken in by this clown

• Registered Users Posts: 54,149 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God Boris is such a national embarrassment

Johnson is just running down the clock here.

Hunt is the better choice for the UK, bad as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

volchitsa wrote: »
    On the ambassador and Trump's comments, did anyone else think Boris positively smirked when he condemned the leaking of civil servants' analyses? I know he often seems rather insincere, but that came over as positively gleeful to me.

It was by far the most telling contribution to an otherwise forgettable debate. He seems definitively in thrall to Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement