Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but apparently the plan is to ignore Brussels now, and land over to threaten or bribe Ireland. Mind boggling that this is a sufficiently mainstream view to warrant airtime.

https://twitter.com/GreeneSheamus/status/1149640388497403904?s=19
    I saw that this morning. I mean sweet loving Jesus is it any wonder that things are in a mess when as you say this viewpoint gets airtime on the BBC ?

I mean we should all be engaged and informed on the brexit but stuff like the above makes me at least wonder what the point is. He isn't a lone voice either which is the worrying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but apparently the plan is to ignore Brussels now, and land over to threaten or bribe Ireland. Mind boggling that this is a sufficiently mainstream view to warrant airtime.

https://twitter.com/GreeneSheamus/status/1149640388497403904?s=19
    I saw that this morning. I mean sweet loving Jesus is it any wonder that things are in a mess when as you say this viewpoint gets airtime on the BBC ?

I mean we should all be engaged and informed on the brexit but stuff like the above makes me at least wonder what the point is. He isn't a lone voice either which is the worrying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Patser wrote: »
    Farage has beaten him to it in that line, as new polls show Brexit party support is dropping as supporters return to Tories with Boris's promises.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1149780021189517319

It's the exact same playbook used by Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Farage has beaten him to it in that line, as new polls show Brexit party support is dropping as supporters return to Tories with Boris's promises.
    It also may be an indication of how the British public view the Brexit party and UKIP before them. Fine to vote them into Europe, but when it comes to Westminster (i.e. serious politics), it's back to the tried and tested. BP will undoubtedly take seats, but as the prospect of a GE looms larger, polling will tail off in favour of the mainstream parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I'm a beef farmer and first time poster here, I cant wait for the UK to go, the sooner the better I say, was worried but now I don't care, maybe we can send more beef to Europe to replace British lamb there is no getting tru to the Brexit supporters but I'm gonna try here😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It also may be an indication of how the British public view the Brexit party and UKIP before them. Fine to vote them into Europe, but when it comes to Westminster (i.e. serious politics), it's back to the tried and tested. BP will undoubtedly take seats, but as the prospect of a GE looms larger, polling will tail off in favour of the mainstream parties.

Yep, in a GE questions like tax, health, day to day stuff come to fire and the Brexit Party doesn't even have a manifesto out beyond Brexit good and future is fantastic. Farage may have some charisma, but when his want to be Health secretary, or defence minister, or who ever is decided and starts getting asked questions on specifics, that'll be when a party without a plan falters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

devnull wrote: »
    I saw that at the same time as an arch brexiteer and they were loving the way Boris was and whether we think he got a mauling and felt the presenter was the only one who was mauled. The Brexiteers will say that he is believing in Britain and standing up for their rights and being patriotic, it's totally delusional, but it's just the way that needs people think unfortunately, it is being sent up to blame the EU and Ireland for everything and from my experience of Brexiteers recently in the UK, the groundwork is almost complete in brainwashing them into that.

All very true, whilst at the same time Johnson cravingly and cowardly sold the US Ambassador up the river. How can those that claim on the one hand is standing up for Britains rights at the same excuse him for so blatantly giving up all rights to the US.

Its the dichotomy of their positions that make it impossible to discuss with them. It is the same as with Trump supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

trellheim wrote: »
    Hunt and Johnson interviews on tv tonight at 7pm, interviewer Andrew Neil. Hunt saying they will be out by Christmas, Johnson by 31st so I expect a redline move from Hunt see my comments above. BBC1 I think

'Out by Christmas' - haha, can't beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm a beef farmer and first time poster here, I cant wait for the UK to go, the sooner the better I say, was worried but now I don't care, maybe we can send more beef to Europe to replace British lamb

And you're happy to hang your future on that 'maybe'?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I'm a beef farmer and first time poster here, I cant wait for the UK to go, the sooner the better I say, was worried but now I don't care, maybe we can send more beef to Europe to replace British lamb there is no getting tru to the Brexit supporters but I'm gonna try here😉

I’m in the same boat myself I was terrified of a hard brexit but now I’m more terrified of any concessions to brexiteers.
    I will take any hardship that comes to see the whole brexit project defeated and consigned to the dustbin of history where it belongs.
    The vast majority of the entire EU 27 are of the same view as long as that holds true they haven’t a hope.

And I would fully support the government in the implementation of checks on the border to protect the single market and our place within.
    It is entirely the UKs fault and the blame is 100% with them for such a terrible outcome.
    We don’t want to change anything they are the ones demanding change. This should be drilled home to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm a beef farmer and first time poster here, I cant wait for the UK to go, the sooner the better I say, was worried but now I don't care, maybe we can send more beef to Europe to replace British lamb there is no getting tru to the Brexit supporters but I'm gonna try here��

I think you are right. They need to go now and we have to suck up the problems and not give in. When they announced their temporary tariffs earlier this year, they took them off most stuff (80%+), but they hit Beef, Cheddar & butter hard, presumably in an attempt to put the squeeze on us. We know now that we can never rely on them to be any kind of a good neighbour.

I was amazed to hear that since 2016, the Dairy Board/Ornua have found new markets for cheddar cheese close to what is exported to the UK. Something like 115K tons go to the UK (which continues) and they have found new markets for 75K tons since then. That is remarkable and maybe suggests that we have been a bit complacent to rely on the UK as it was convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

J Mysterio wrote: »

Which year?

I didn't hear any of them mentioning the year.

I do however think, all EU27 member states will be difficult to persuade to another extension.

A begging BoJo in Brussels - just might get one more extension.

Don't forget Oct 31 2019 is close to an optimal timing for the EU27 and a very bad timing for the UK.
    UK food import is at its maximum in Q1/Q2 and Brexit having just happened will surely reduce the joy (and volume) of Christmas shopping.

In addition the current very high prices on pork due to Asian Swine Fever in China and Asia will make large parts of the EU farming sector sort of immune to a decline in the export to the UK - of pork but of other agri/meat products too.

These high prices on pork will likely last 24-48 months (until the ASF is under full control) and enable countries like Denmark, Netherlands, France and Belgium to stabilise their new/expanded export markets in Asian and in particular 'bridge over' until the new trade deal with Japan will reach low or zero tariffs on agri products exported into that country.

Lars :)

PS! Not sure about Irish meat export

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1149780021189517319

I wonder could the polling companies sue him (or Trump) for defamation over such allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I'm a beef farmer and first time poster here, I cant wait for the UK to go, the sooner the better I say, was worried but now I don't care, maybe we can send more beef to Europe to replace British lamb there is no getting tru to the Brexit supporters but I'm gonna try here��

Absolutely Declan. The majority of the UK public voted to leave the EU. Staying in now would just cause so much more trouble long term for Europe as that majority is never going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/OFOCBrexit/status/1149760225098063872

Boris being caught with his pants down on the details of Gatt 24.

I'd think if you're making your argument around it, you should have actually read more than just the one paragraph that suits the point you're trying to make

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Absolutely Declan. The majority of the UK public voted to leave the EU. Staying in now would just cause so much more trouble long term for Europe as that majority is never going away.

I'd give it 15 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

20silkcut wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat myself I was terrified of a hard brexit but now I’m more terrified of any concessions to brexiteers.
    It's amazing how many Brexiteers are hoping for appeasement from the EU given how the well British appeasement worked out for Europe in the past :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd think if you're making your argument around it, you should have actually read more than just the one paragraph that suits the point you're trying to make

That is actually downright scary. The UK after 3 years of chaotic steering looks like it is now going to be rudderless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That is actually downright scary. The UK after 3 years of chaotic steering looks like it is now going to be rudderless.

Laughable, but then that's all Bojo is at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

I think your future is in Asia....China should become the world biggest beef importer in 2020, it's per capita consumption levels are only 16% that of "the west" and growing consistently and strongly. Then there's Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Viet Nam and Singapore...but China's the prize. As a result of domestic scandals including the sale of 30 year old Zombie meat imports are preferred. The other thing that sell very well in China is imported baby formula.

Australia and New Zealand went through this in 1973, for all their talk about a free trade agreement with the UK they followed the money into Asia and thrived. They've been very clear that won't redirect Asian exports into Britain, they make too much money in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I doubt that the will of 0.2% of the people will waver much if they were ever exposed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sandbelter wrote: »
    They've been very clear that won't redirect Asian exports into Britain, they make too much money in Asia.

Aye and it's on their doorstep relatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Worrying echoes of the First World War, alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Try New Zealand lamb. NZ et Al are pushing for the previous EU + UK total quantity to be moved to EU. As UK imported quite a bit those volumes will go into EU27 and I'd not be surprised if they may increase further with a updated FTA.

It's amazing how many Brexiteers are hoping for appeasement from the EU given how the well British appeasement worked out for Europe in the past :rolleyes:
    You mean like Chamberlain in 1938?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Shocking, but not surprising. In a strange way I'm quite looking forward to seeing Boris as PM and I'd say Theresa May is too, because her title of "worst UK PM in history" isn't going to last long once BoJo gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Shocking, but not surprising. In a strange way I'm quite looking forward to seeing Boris as PM and I'd say Theresa May is too, because her title of "worst UK PM in history" isn't going to last long once BoJo gets going.

And she might even grow a pair of steel and appoint a new Ambassador to US before she steps down, (remain leaning of course), then Johnson will either have to sack him and reappoint a Brexit leaning Ambassador, or deal with Trump all over again for not doing what Trump decrees.

That would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Painful viewing. At least May was briefed when she constructed her nonsense. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Painful viewing. At least May was briefed when she constructed her nonsense. Scary stuff.

Doesn't matter. He is not being chosen by the general population, and it seems he is a shoo in with the Tory membership. That is scary and speaks so much for Democracy too. But I suppose he can be ousted in time.

I think at last, a light has been shone on this so called demigod. He has bluffed and blustered his way through life with Eton as his passport.

Anyway, he will be eaten up by the EU negotiators really, at this stage I'd say they are just bewildered at what is going on.

He will get his comeuppance for bluffing, and I think he knows this now, but will still bluff and bluster anyway.

It is very difficult to keep an open mind on the acuity of the British who would welcome his PMship. They are not all Tory members who can vote for his leadership either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Genuine question, what's scary about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement