Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Von der Leyen in.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1151185891009990656

Says a lot about the state of play that my immediate thoughts were "Take that Farage"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Von der Leyen in.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1151185891009990656

Says a lot about the state of play that my immediate thoughts were "Take that Farage"

Mad that a 51-49 tally is a pretty narrow margin in the EU.

52-48 is the clear will of the people in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pleased about that, all i've read of Ms Van Der Leyn has been positive, definitely has what it takes to be a good commissioner. But i'd also suggest that the EU do really need to look at their election procedures, i dont think it was really all that edifying in certain respects and they left themselves open to the likes of Farage to snipe at it. Not that it gives me any great satisfaction to be even 1% agreeing with anything the latter has to say. How ridiculous those guys look in the parliament chamber, with their little union jacks and taking pics and selfies, they resemble a transition class on a day out with their teachers sitting in the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I don't agree with her message that another Extension is possible or even welcome.
    She should be hammering the home-truth that words matter, and this last Extension was given in order of the UK to get their act together - which they have totally wasted.

Agreeing to additional Extensions plays into the No Deal narrative that the EU are afraid of UK leaving and need the UK more than the UK need the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I don't agree with her message that another Extension is possible or even welcome.
    She should be hammering the home-truth that words matter, and this last Extension was given in order of the UK to get their act together - which they have totally wasted.

Agreeing to additional Extensions plays into the No Deal narrative that the EU are afraid of UK leaving and need the UK more than the UK need the EU.

I'm not so sure. I think if they had made any noises saying they would talk to a new PM about the deal to see if it could be passed 'or whatever' it wouldpaint the picture they are panicking about the UK leaving.

But, this way, I think they see what is going on at home and are diplomatically letting the UK fight amongst themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭brickster69

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Who came second ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'm not so sure. I think if they had made any noises saying they would talk to a new PM about the deal to see if it could be passed 'or whatever' it wouldpaint the picture they are panicking about the UK leaving.

But, this way, I think they see what is going on at home and are diplomatically letting the UK fight amongst themselves.

That would be my reading of it too. I dont see what is to be gained at this stage by the EU trying to hammer home any home truths or get involved in war of words with British politicians, either privately or in public. There's nothing to be gained by it. But i do see the sense in dropping subtle hints to those on the remain side that we are still willing to facilitate you if you get your act together in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Brexit meps Booed during her speech earlier.

Stay classy lads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And yet EU sources spin it differently to The GuardianHe was told that was Brexit fantasy and a non-starter, and that the “mini-deals” outlined in EU contingency plans were temporary and covered only the “bare bones” such as aviation, mobile phone roaming and haulier driving licences. They did not include the major issues such as trade or the Irish border.[/I]
    Those mini-deals are one sided, they are there for the EU's convenience, and could be removed at any time. It's like relying on Article 24.

P.S. I'm choosing to refer to Boris Johnson as "Johnson" because I think that calling him "Boris" is an implicit recognition of a form of special status that I see no reason to afford him.
    May I respectfully suggest
    https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Bloody_Stupid_Johnson
    Although evidently able in certain fields, Johnson is notorious for his complete inability to produce anything according to specification or common sense, or (sometimes) even the laws of physics.
    "It Might Look A Bit Messy Now But Just You Come Back In Five Hundred Years' Time"
    The most obvious flaw in Johnson's abilities is his blind spot when it comes to marking units on his plans. But while most of Johnson's designs are simply unusual, some of them seem to tap into strange forces, probably by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just watching Sky News, and maybe I am being overly sensitive and I do understand that SN have been good on the whole on Brexit, but I noticed the wording used.

EU are digging in, Ireland not comprising despite massive hit to economy etc. Yet there was nothing of the sort about
    Johnson or Hunt position.

More talk about EU compromise at the last minute.

Just that Johnson wants to park Backstop and divorce bill for after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just watching Sky News, and maybe I am being overly sensitive and I do understand that SN have been good on the whole on Brexit, but I noticed the wording used.

EU are digging in, Ireland not comprising despite massive hit to economy etc. Yet there was nothing of the sort about
    Johnson or Hunt position.

More talk about EU compromise at the last minute.

Just that Johnson wants to park Backstop and divorce bill for after Brexit.

The did stress though that this is in response to Hunt and Johnson ramping up the rhetoric considerably last night

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

It might be of interest to have another look at the EU preparation papers for Brexit which are still valid. How these could be called mini deals by anyone is beyond normal understanding.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/communication-19-december-2018-preparing-withdrawal-united-kingdom-european-union-30-march-2019-implementing-commissions-contingency-action-plan_en

With Von der Leyen as chief of the commission, Barnier still there and Sabine Weyand already waiting should a Brexit really happen i want to see who the UK will send to Brussels. Barclay will have zero chance over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Where does she say this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gooch2k9 wrote: »

It's only 51-49 if you include 22 abstentions and one vote declared invalid as counting against her.

Otherwise it's 383 vs 327 which is 54% vs 46%

And of course no one in the UK can complain about FPTP

Theresa May was just 400 votes short of a majority in the General Election in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Where does she say this?

She said she would be prepared to grant a further extension should more time be required "for good reason".

She was stating her personal view and the "good reason" will need to be accepted by a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It's only 51-49 if you include 22 abstentions and one vote declared invalid as counting against her.

Otherwise it's 383 vs 327 which is 54% vs 46%

And of course no one in the UK can complain about FPTP

Theresa May was just 400 votes short of a majority in the General Election in 2017.

To be honest I didn't look into it too much! It was more a response to the "narrow margin" comment from the Sky reporter, being aware the majority was ~375.

I take it the Brexit Party voted on something they want nothing to do with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

First Up wrote: »
    She said she would be prepared to grant a further extension should more time be required "for good reason".

She was stating her personal view and the "good reason" will need to be accepted by a lot of people.

This is just repeating the current EU position, you can have an extension if it's for a GE or a referendum but not if you just want to go round in more circles on the WA which is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

54&56 wrote:
    This is just repeating the current EU position, you can have an extension if it's for a GE or a referendum but not if you just want to go round in more circles on the WA which is closed.

We'll see how good Boris will be at explaining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Brexit meps Booed during her speech earlier.

Stay classy lads

Booing? FFS. I would be so embarrassed to be British while watching that. If they were my children I'd be embarrassed, never mind my politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

There is not much to add. No change in the stance of the EU with Von der Layen.

https://news.sky.com/video/eu-ursula-von-der-leyen-it-is-very-difficult-to-have-brexit-11764570

• Advertisement

These Labour rebel Leavers are truly the worst of all. She wouldn't support the WAB because it didn't protect workers rights enough, so now she'll consider supporting a no deal exit even though that doesnt protect workers rights, or any rights, at all. Nor will she rule out not supporting her party in a no confidence motion against a tory pm. "It's poker," she says. The jobs and welfare of her constituents reduced to the level of a card game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-49007176/brexit-labour-mp-sarah-champion-on-brexit-vote

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well I would love Johnson or Hunt to reply to her in German.

Those two are only educated to feel they are the elites, and it was ever thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

5 year graph of sterling to euro, nearly all time high

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=5Y

she gonna blow .90334 at close holy wingdings batman if you are going to buy a car in the UK fill your boots boys ( expect it to get far worse as Johnson blusters on )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

trellheim wrote: »
    5 year graph of sterling to euro, nearly all time high
    https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=5Y
    she gonna blow .90334 at close holy wingdings batman if you are going to buy a car in the UK fill your boots boys ( expect it to get far worse as Johnson blusters on )

In fairness, it's hit this point at least 4 times in the last 2yrs, and briefly .92 at a couple of those.

If it should see .93+ that would start to get interesting.

Other news: Ursula von der Leyen was elected with 52.3%.
    52% is a clear majority for the EU28: With 383 votes for and 327 votes against out of 733 votes cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Reuters has some questionable reporting:

"Factbox: EU prepares possible Brexit olive branch for new UK PM" <-really this is a FACT? Who are the sources? "Diplomats and officials in Brussels told Reuters".

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-factbox/factbox-eu-prepares-possible-brexit-olive-branch-for-new-uk-pm-idUKKCN1UB1S1?rpc=401&

I don't think the report is that far off, we know the EU has said no changes to the backstop and those proposals are exactly that. They are what was promised to May as well, just some new wording attached to it and the removal of the all UK customs union.

that would appear to be reheated leftovers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Booing? FFS. I would be so embarrassed to be British while watching that. If they were my children I'd be embarrassed, never mind my politicians.

Weirdly enough only reported on LBC in the uk.

I’d say outlets have decided either randomly or collectively to ignore all future antics by them and not report them.

That would be a godsend for some small form of sanity.
    Deny them the oxygen they so badly crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting theory from a good source on who leaked the ambassador cables:

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1150903629374787584

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I refer you back to a post I made a few minutes ago, most people in Ireland simply don't understand the Brexiteer mindset.

Just watched the Johnson/Hunt debate on YouTube. Johnson gestures his distaste of the backstop by punching his right arm as if to involuntaraly hit an imaginary backstop in front of him. That gesture says all you need to know about Johnsons irritation with Ireland.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Interesting theory from a good source on who leaked the ambassador cables:

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1150903629374787584
    this stank of Williamson all the way its exactly the shenanigans he might play

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement