Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is all conjecture on behalf of person quoted. No evidence is offered. The fall in house prices could also be attributed to a slowing global economy either as the business cycle ends.

Every bad news story cannot be pinned on Brexit, at least not without evidence. In fact this fall in process should've been seen earlier as Brexit was already meant to have happened.

Sterling was85p early may. It is 90.2p today and looking at below parity if there is a no-deal. If I was a property investor, I would be selling some time ago, which is probably why London prices are falling.

Brexit on No Deal terms in not WA Brexit - not at all. It could be getting to fire sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

So the brexit party re-tweeted a picture yesterday which they claimed showed them as the only party in a near empty parliament that bothered to show up for debates. Quite the coup, until somebody zoomed in on the watch one of them was wearing, saw the time displayed (16:15) and deduced that the parliament was on a break at that time.

And people are still arguing that the picture is as they claim !!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1151144104413282304

• Registered Users Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

irishash wrote: »
    So the brexit party re-tweeted a picture yesterday which they claimed showed them as the only party in a near empty parliament that bothered to show up for debates. Quite the coup, until somebody zoomed in on the watch one of them was wearing, saw the time displayed (16:15) and deduced that the parliament was on a break at that time.

All of the garbage on their various Twitter pages seems aimed solely at the Brexit disciples. They don't even care about anyone else who knows they are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

That is all conjecture on behalf of person quoted. No evidence is offered. The fall in house prices could also be attributed to a slowing global economy either as the business cycle ends.

Every bad news story cannot be pinned on Brexit, at least not without evidence. In fact this fall in process should've been seen earlier as Brexit was already meant to have happened.
    London has seen thousands of highly-solvent individuals (traders, asset managers, reinsurers, EMA workers, MMA legal eagles, etc) leave over the past 3 years.

Mountains of evidence of the above in mass and social media, moreover corroborated at street level for me (I've got a very high profile ex-UK asset management firm for neighbours, besides all the other 'new' ex-City Luxembourgers I've been meeting week-in, week-out over the past 18 months).

What you are seeing with falling house prices, is just one of the more media-worthy consequences of this slow and steady brain and wealth drain, itself caused by enduring political uncertainty (not Brexit: it hasn't happened yet). We sold in December 2017, close to peak market for our neck of the (northern) UK woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus, they are going beyond talking about parity with the euro...

Not sure why parity with the Euro hasn't already been achieved. The markets are... something something.

• Advertisement

irishash wrote: »

My god, is there nothing these swine won't lie about? Have they no moral fibre whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When the BBC good news bears report that UK wage increases are at a 10 year high, they never factor in that the pound is down 60 percentage points on the dollar since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not sure why parity with the Euro hasn't already been achieved. The markets are... something something.

Sterling has lost value to all other major traded currencies in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'll take the opinion of someone in the sector whose job it is to know about these things as the next best thing thanks.

It's just an opinion, conjecture, not backed up by any fact.

Property price growth has been slowing since Jan 2016 in London.

Don't be too quick to blame Brexit for everything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Brexit secretary claims EU will start trade talks very quickly after no-deal because of UK's 'size and importance'
    The bloc’s unity will crumble under pressure from its voters and businesses once the “impact of no-deal” is felt, the Brexit secretary told a committee of MPs.

During the evidence session, Mr Barclay also:

* Did not deny the National Farmers’ Union warning of a mass slaughter of lambs after a crash-out Brexit – but said farmers would be compensated.

* Denied a bust-up with Michel Barnier, the EU’s Brexit negotiator, because he insisted the withdrawal agreement would have to be ripped up.

Mr Barclay said he says he had simply said the deal would not get through the Commons as it stands, adding: “I did not think that was a particularly controversial observation.

* Criticised the car industry for saying no-deal was “simply not an option” – saying that was “factually incorrect, because it was the legal position of the government”.

* Insisted fears of food and medicine shortages after a no-deal Brexit were exaggerated – confirming new ferry contracts would be struck, despite the Chris Grayling fiasco.

* Said EU could still be allowed into UK waters under a no-deal – as the UK sought a “continuity approach”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-eu-trade-talks-stephen-barclay-a9008136.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Brexit secretary claims EU will start trade talks very quickly after no-deal because of UK's 'size and importance'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-eu-trade-talks-stephen-barclay-a9008136.html

With that level of unfounded arrogance you would depressingly accept the relatively high chance of no deal happening. Comical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Strazdas wrote: »
    If the UK leave the EU without the backstop. there would be no incentive whatsoever for the Brexiteers to solve the Irish border issue.
    They'd have bigger fish to fry and the border wouldn't even be a priority for them.
    I agree with this.
    They'll get poked and prodded by WTO members when non-tariffed goods are entering via the border,
    Right now i believe the British plan is basically to remove all tariffs on goods entering the UK with the exception of some select industry:
    Tariffs will be cut to zero on 87% of imports to the UK as part of a temporary no-deal plan, but prices of some imports including meat, shoes, underpants and cars will go up.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/13/brexit-tariffs-on-87-of-uk-imports-cut-to-zero-in-temporary-no-deal-plan

I"m not an economist so don't really know what a no tariff situation like that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its No Deal more than ever at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Mr Barclay has really taken the "believe" memo seriously.
    As a basis for these huge statements did he back up with any concrete facts?

Eta quote:
    "He noted the “size and importance of the UK on the border of the EU” as a reason why Brussels would have to shift its stance."
    Was the obvious flip side of this coin pointed out to him I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive seen Brexiteers honestly arguing the currency tanking is a good thing and they need it to be able to trade better post Brexit as their stuff will be cheaper.

Obviously they arent understanding that they import far more than they export therefore the drop in currency actually doesnt help them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm at a stage now where I am sick and tired of hearing how utterly stupid some of these people are. Any form of Brexit is going to have a major impact and they don't seem to comprehend any negative impact at all!

I hate myself for thinking this (as Ireland will inevitably suffer) way but I'm actually at the point where I want them to go through the pain of a no deal just so they cop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Another glorious watch from C4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I agree with this.
    They'll get poked and prodded by WTO members when non-tariffed goods are entering via the border,
    Right now i believe the British plan is basically to remove all tariffs on goods entering the UK with the exception of some select industry:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/13/brexit-tariffs-on-87-of-uk-imports-cut-to-zero-in-temporary-no-deal-plan

I"m not an economist so don't really know what a no tariff situation like that will do.

Well...
    Tariffs will be cut to zero on 87% of imports to the UK as part of a temporary no-deal plan, but prices of some imports including meat, shoes, underpants and cars will go up.

I KNEW IT!!
    Brexit is Underpants Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

"They need us more than we need them".

Zero progress made since end March 2017.

They've not only wasted the extension, they've managed to get into negative equity since March 2019.

At the nation state level, that takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm watching the Conservative leadership on Sky News at the moment. It still puzzles me how anyone can vote for Boris. I hope they start keep tracking of his lies like what they do for Trump.

I do look forward though when he comes PM because it's going to be comedy gold. Boris will get some wake up call and the Brexiters will turn on him in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

BluePlanet wrote: »

Remember when JRM was constantly banging on about the prices of food, clothing and footwear reducing outside the Customs Union? He is very quiet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm watching the Conservative leadership on Sky News at the moment. It still puzzles me how anyone can vote for Boris. I hope they start keep tracking of his lies like what they do for Trump....
    It's confirmation bias. He's telling them what they want to hear.
    What they need to hear is something completely different, but that won't gain any traction at this stage. Unfortunately they've gone too far down that rabbit-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Popeleo wrote: »
    Remember when JRM was constantly banging on about the prices of food, clothing and footwear reducing outside the Customs Union? He is very quiet these days.

Au contraire. Here he is in The Express today. Apparently Britain will be 80 billion better off after No Deal. Which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's funny Boris makes up so much crap he cant keep up with all of them lol

Gintonious wrote: »
    /YOUTUBE]

The amount of dodgy money funding people is scary, and the politicians, police and judiciary of the UK don't want anything to do with it. This person was funded - perhaps very well - and has been seemingly groomed for for her position. Disturbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gintonious wrote: »

Please don't just paste videos here. Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Au contraire. Here he is in The Express today. Apparently Britain will be 80 billion better off after No Deal. Which is nice.

Thanks. I was obviously looking in the wrong (or right) places. And even the Express were reporting on an article he wrote in the Torygraph. Preaching to the deluded there.

I found one of those quotes on his website, from a DM article:
    There is also the even more important issue of the customs union. Remaining in it is proposed as the back-stop plan in case nothing else could be agreed. However, it would prevent us from cutting tariffs, denying the nation one of Brexit's major benefits. It would hit the least well-off the most by keeping the pricing of food, clothing and footwear higher than necessary to protect inefficient continental businesses.

https://www.jacobreesmogg.com/brexiteer-compromise

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm watching the Conservative leadership on Sky News at the moment. It still puzzles me how anyone can vote for Boris. I hope they start keep tracking of his lies like what they do for Trump.

I do look forward though when he comes PM because it's going to be comedy gold. Boris will get some wake up call and the Brexiters will turn on him in no time.

I'm watching this also, its bizarre. Where is Hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm watching this also, its bizarre. Where is Hunt?

The hustings are done in sequence, they're not debates. He can literally say anything here and they'll lap it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"When i travel to other countries i'm always struck that those countries seem to have more respect for us than we have for ourselves." - Jeremy Hunt.

I'm actually not sure about that one Jezza, there's not a single country in Europe that isn't laughing at you right now and i have a good inkling you're a laughing stock beyond the continent at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement