Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

And it’ll take 6 resignations?

What time is the leadership announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

In about ten minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

re ancapailldorcha

Yes but as I said before they might not feel any need to back the government they've resigned from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Next few minutes.
    Followed by a speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Are people watching coverage on Sky or BBC? Iain Dale close to declaring his love for BJ on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

edit: slow interwebs here - Stop moaning ffs posted before me
    Not often things line up as well like this on boards :P

Sorry for the side note but it was simply comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

swampgas wrote: »
    Have you a source for that? (I have no problem believing it).

I can't find one that spells it out, it's just my reading from information sourced from many articles and online discussions.
    US Central Command said it was developing a multinational maritime effort in response to the situation.

But the UK's protection mission would not include the US because, Mr Hunt insisted, Britain was not part of President Trump's policy of "maximum pressure" on Tehran.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49076294
    But Hunt also stressed a desire to “deescalate” the situation. The U.K., which remains committed to salvaging the Iran nuclear deal, will likely hesitate to reimpose sanctions against Iran lifted as part of the agreement.

The country has also not yet confirmed if it will join the “multinational maritime effort,” dubbed Operation Sentinel, being planned by U.S. Central Command “to increase surveillance of and security in key waterways in the Middle East to ensure freedom of navigation in light of recent events in the Arabian Gulf region.”

https://time.com/5631460/stena-impero-britain-iran/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They would still need to vote against the party though, but I think there are probably already enough senior backbenchers who would be voting against.

I keep hearing that Boris Johnson is loved across the south and in London. Lived in London for years and he is far from universally loved in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So they've had an extension to the time of the announcement.
    Sounds familiar. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Everyone sensible hopes Brexit will never happen, but there is an upside for the EU to a hard Brexit - it will be an utter shambles for the UK and a very clear demonstration to all leavers/nationalists/chancers that EU membership is really valuable.

Well if the no dealers are believeable about reducing their schedule, the EU will still be able to trade into the UK with zero tarrifs while collecting tarrifs on UK goods and services. So the german car manufacturers wont be tarrifed selling to the UK but UK manufacturers will be. The only downside is the obvious reduction in demand as no one in the UK will be able to afford German cars anyway due to the exchange rates and damage to manufacturing it will bring.

Canada have the right of it - why would they bothering giving the UK a Free Trade Deal if the UK plans on zero tarrifs and checks for the world anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The absolute lies coming out of the chairmans mouth "This campaign showed the best of our party and how united behind a single purpose we are"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pleas to be be “kinder”.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Boris was just checking his pocket for his speech. Hunt is far better at the fake smile though.

VinLieger wrote: »
    The absolute lies coming out of the chairmans mouth "This campaign showed the best of our party and how united behind a single purpose we are"

Or the line thanking Theresa May for leading the country over the last 3 years "Something which was never going to be an easy task"

Or asking

"can we be nicer to our next PM than we were to our last and showing people including BJ clapping to that"

Or praising the in depth process which the election took.
    The EU are watching this through gritted teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tories pick a ninny!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

VinLieger wrote: »

I wonder is that creating division or creating chaos? Either way, well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If Johnson asks for an extension it’s the political end for him and the conservatives I’d say.

I don't think so, not even close, the ordinary man in the street doesn't even know what happening and a lot if them think they have already left. It's going to hurt the conservatives but at this stage the hurt has already been done.

Is that 2:1 much closer than was expected?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RESULT: Boris Johnson elected new Conservative leader

Boris Johnson: 92,153
    Jeremy Hunt: 46,656
    Turnout: 87.4%
    Rejected ballot papers: 509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'fantastic' is the word of the day...

RESULT: Boris Johnson elected new Conservative leader

Boris Johnson: 92,153
    Jeremy Hunt: 46,656
    Turnout: 87.4%
    Rejected ballot papers: 509

How many of the rejected ones were for Mike the Cameraman?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the Conservative party and the UK will get the real life version of tim dim but nice.

The headline narrative is 'BJ wins race to become next PM', he will become Tory leader alright but theres still a significant chance he'll never actually govern a day in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus Boris, people will be bored witless with this style very quickly..

Is that 2:1 much closer than was expected?

Somewhat closer than expected, 4:1 was the polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Does Boris look daunted? Lets see in a few days, shall we.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Listening to the Tories chortling self-indulgently inside this hall is actually stomach-churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think people saying that Boris is the British version of trump. Take brexit out of it but while he not give the best public image and comes across as eccentric at times it’s an unfair comparison. I mean unlike trump Boris isn’t a complete and utter idiot, he seems to give off that impression.

• Advertisement

Jasus Boris, people will be bored witless with this style very quickly..

I thought the exact same thing. That bluster and optimism, energy will soon get tiresome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement