Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How do you mean, what about Thatcher and Blair's overall majorities to name a few?
    Blair won a landslide in parliament but with only 43% of the vote in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How do you mean, what about Thatcher and Blair's overall majorities to name a few?

Majority of seats in parliament does always not equal a majority of votes thanks to FPtP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Igotadose wrote: »
    1. Neither appears to be too smart or have any substantial life achievements prior to entering politics
    2. Both are obese
    3. Both have bad hair
    4. Both shoot from the lip, and regularly say bigoted things ('postboxes' for Boris, Trump... just look for a headline anytime in the past 2-3 years).
    5. Both represent parties that are minority in the countries, based on the most recent elections
    Not smart? This guy has played a 20 year long game with the ultimate goal of becoming PM which he had almost now achieved. He is clearly smart and driven for the things he wants.

Stupid people don't become PM. Calculating egotists do.

I don't know why do many are quick to dismiss him as a fool. He personally carried No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not smart? This guy has played a 20 year long game with the ultimate goal of becoming PM which he had almost now achieved. He is clearly smart and driven for the things he wants.

Stupid people don't become PM. Calculating egotists do.

That would only make sense if his twenty year plan included flip flopping on Europe, running for party leader before pulling out, resigning as Foreign secretary and taking the wheel of a car as it approaches the cliff edge.

I think he is not very smart but has that supreme confidence which overrides intelligence (or lack of).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That would only make sense if his twenty year plan included flip flopping on Europe, running for party leader before pulling out, resigning as Foreign secretary and taking the wheel of a car as it approaches the cliff edge.

I think he is not very smart but has that supreme confidence which overrides intelligence.

I did say "appears" to not be smart. He is the PM, so he's calculating. But, his performance on the hustings and in his previous ministerial role was underwhelming to say the least. Blank stares when asked about 5c don't say 'genius' they say 'duh! what? Didn't read that far'

But, he's the PM. Let the games continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Most of your points are fairly superficial though. So, like I said, I don't get it.

But on your first one; well, I'm not going to be the great defender of either man, but on paper at least I'm sure plenty would beg to differ.

They are both racists and seem to care only about themselves or their families. They are entitled and have been given all the head starts and preferential treatment all their lives because of their names and have hardly had to put in hard work to be successful. How either of them can improve the lives of the people they are supposed to represent is still a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Enzokk wrote: »
    How either of them can improve the lives of the people they are supposed to represent is still a mystery to me.
    An awful lot of this is about the perceived ability to be able to inflict pain on the "other" tribe - and these principally being (any) foreigners, but also in the case of the US to "libtards", "coastal elites", "Welfare queens", Muslims, etc.

Which is why Trump supporters love the cages and the forced family separations, and Brexit supporters will be able to shout "they don't like it up 'em!" when Boris dispatches those nasty foreigners in the EU ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BBC News had the leader of the Lib Dems Jo Swinson at Westminster a short time ago. She said that the UK electorate has fully decided on what type of Brexit they wanted when they voted in the first referendum. She has also advocated for another referendum with one option for the WA & another option for Remain.

There are three young conservative party members speaking to BBC News before the weather forecast who voted in the contest. The two who supported Boris Johnson are quite eccentric. The guy who voted for Boris wore a striped suit for the result today. He had said he wanted that every option explored for having Brexit with some sort of deal. The other voter for BJ who is a young lady spoke with a nervous tone about BJ being the right leader for the country & so on. The fella who voted for JH was disappointed with BJ becoming leader but he said that he will facing the future of the party by working with BJ as leader of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think he is not very smart but has that supreme confidence which overrides intelligence (or lack of).

I'd actually say flip flopping on Europe is a testament to his cunning and ability to see the way the wind is blowing. He's a populist.

He pulled out of the race because he wouldve been up against Gove why would've at least given him a run for his money. Pulling out and Keeping his powder dry was a strategic move which he gambled on, he could've ended up in the wilderness, but he rightly saw that TM would become unstuck and ousted relatively soon.
    He resigned as FS in a strategic move to align himself with the ERG. He even engineered who his own opponent would be in the leadership election, rightly determining that former remainer Hunt would be unpalatable to the membership.

Yes, he's taking the wheel as it approaches the cliff, but that doesn't matter when only taking the wheel was the goal.

There face that he doesn't have a coherent deliverable plan for his PMship doesn't mean that he's not smart, just that this part doesn't matter as much as getting hold of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How either of them can improve the lives of the people they are supposed to represent is still a mystery to me.

Even on that point they diverge. Boris is going to serve those who he exactly set out to do so, namely people like his own family and the Tory party membership but Donald, on the other hand, his greatest feat is persuading the working class of America that he was just like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

From RTÉ News live updates on the leadership contest victory for BJ
    The European Parliament's chief Brexit coordinator Guy Verhofstadt says the parliament's Brexit Steering Group will hold an extraordinary meeting tomorrow with the EU's Chief Brexit Negotiator Michel Barnier to respond to Mr Johnson's election.

Mr Verhofstadt tweeted: "The meeting will be followed by an official communication. Looking forward to defending the interest of all Europeans."

A possible Welsh Independence vote being talked about from the leader of Plaid Cymru with a great line for the Tories.
    Plaid Cymru leader in Westminster Liz Saville Roberts said the victory of "clown" Mr Johnson was a "gift" to the cause of Welsh independence, which she claimed was now inevitable.

"The Conservative party has just thrown the UK out of the frying pan and into the fire," she said.

They are both racists and seem to care only about themselves or their families. They are entitled and have been given all the head starts and preferential treatment all their lives because of their names and have hardly had to put in hard work to be successful. How either of them can improve the lives of the people they are supposed to represent is still a mystery to me.

Well, and I find this kind of odd, here's part of today's victory speech that I guess is the 'inspirational' bit near the end:

"And we are once again going to believe in ourselves and what we can achieve. And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity with better education, better infrastructure, more police, fantastic full-fibre broadband sprouting in every household. We are going to unite this amazing country and we are going to take it forward."

Full-fibre broadband? Is this like, an issue? Nothing about health care. Poverty. Enabling people. But broadband, oh yeah fer sure.

At least he didn't bring up kippers and ice pillows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Full-fibre broadband? Is this like, an issue? Nothing about health care. Poverty. Enabling people. But broadband, oh yeah fer sure.

The cynic in me reckons that some Shire-dwelling Tories have been moaning to their MP's about this.

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. Doubly so when the enemy is as prepared and united as the EU (and that is how the British government has treated the EU so the term is appropriate here in my opinion). And even more so when it transpired that the battle plan is actually just a pile of meaningless invective and nationalist rhetoric.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Well, and I find this kind of odd, here's part of today's victory speech that I guess is the 'inspirational' bit near the end:

"And we are once again going to believe in ourselves and what we can achieve. And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity with better education, better infrastructure, more police, fantastic full-fibre broadband sprouting in every household. We are going to unite this amazing country and we are going to take it forward."

At least he didn't bring up kippers and ice pillows.

He is now the second Tory to talk about more police, but they were the government that cut police numbers. Yvette Cooper was quick to call out Sajid Javid on his proclamation that more police would make the UK safer for crime and asked him if he then agrees that higher crime is as a result of police numbers being cut. He quickly tried to backtrack but they know the game is up.

I am still astonished that even with this, with Johnson as leader and the Tories trying to rewrite history on their policies that caused a lot of the problems being faced now, that Labour is not polling at 45% or more. I guess that is why you had the attack dogs out again against Jo Swinson attacking her voting record. They know deep down they have screwed up backing Corbyn but cannot admit it so they are fighting the messenger instead of the message (or something like that).

There has been discussion on the Panorama program on Brexit in the previous pages, just wanted to link to it on Youtube for those that missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LG-CeYzxvw

He is now the second Tory to talk about more police, but they were the government that cut police numbers.

Old people like talk of more police on the streets. Fear is what's used by politicians to motivate them. Tune in to foxnews at any time and 'scare the old people' is pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Not sure I get these comparisons between Trump and BoJo that we're seeing. I mean one comes from a political dynasty with links to the aristocracy going back generations and the other is a second generation immigrant. You could argue that one joined the political ruling class because it was exactly what was expected of him whereas the other entered politics promising to rail against the political ruling class.

Both very short on detail and full of bombastic clichés and soundbites. When pressed on anything, they just start deflecting and waffling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

VinLieger wrote: »
    The UK hasn't had a majority elected government Bar the Conservative - Lib Dem coalition since the 1950's

The last single party Gov that had a majority of the popular vote was elected in 1932.

The only Gov since then was the LibDem/Tory coalition - the only coalition since 1932.

That is FPTP for you - very undemocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

1. Neither appears to be too smart or have any substantial life achievements prior to entering politics
    2. Both are obese
    3. Both have bad hair
    4. Both shoot from the lip, and regularly say bigoted things ('postboxes' for Boris, Trump... just look for a headline anytime in the past 2-3 years).
    5. Both represent parties that are minority in the countries, based on the most recent elections

If you think that BJ is “not too smart” then that means you’ve read absolutely nothing about him and you know nothing about him.
    Even a cursory glance at his academic career, the scholarships he won, winning prizes for classics at Oxford and nearly getting a first despite hardly having time for any work with his other “activities” disproves your theory.
    I’m not a fan of his but I find it cringe making when people judge others based on appearances without making any enquiries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you think that BJ is “not too smart” then that means you’ve read absolutely nothing about him and you know nothing about him.
    Even a cursory glance at his academic career, the scholarships he won, winning prizes for classics at Oxford and nearly getting a first despite hardly having time for any work with his other “activities” disproves your theory.
    I’m not a fan of his but I find it cringe making when people judge others based on appearances without making any enquiries.

He got a 2:1 not a first. According to his biographer on LBC earlier. It was Cameron got the first and it always rankles Boris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I guess that is why you had the attack dogs out again against Jo Swinson attacking her voting record..

Her voting record is a matter of record and she was caught red handed lying on the Ian Dale show a couple of weeks ago

I’d say border in the sea and NI remaining in the SM is top of his agenda now. He’ll find some way to placate the DUP. Only possible way he can deliver this deal and the EU obviously would be more than up for that.
    He’ll be able to sell it and spin it as a victory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Even before he takes office and starts disappointing and irritating the public, a YouGov poll today:

Which of the following best reflects your reaction to Boris Johnson becoming leader?
    Dismayed: 37%
    Pleased: 18%
    Disappointed: 10%
    Delighted: 10%
    Don’t mind either way: 17%

So only 28% have a positive view of his appointment. Best of luck, Johnson.

Her voting record is a matter of record and she was caught red handed lying on the Ian Dale show a couple of weeks ago

Sure, a lot of LibDems will have terrible voting records from that time. But let me ask you, is Corbyn a Europhile? Look at his record and tell me that this is the same politician you see everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The voting record thing is a total red herring. What was she supposed to do....vote against everything her party was doing? That would soon have marked her down as a maverick and a troublemaker.

‘One small step for Boris, one giant leap for Scottish independence’

:)

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

‘One small step for Boris, one giant leap for Scottish independence’

:)

Very good

Indeed. It's also significantly advanced the case for an United Ireland by about a million fold as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I feel like I need to apologise for my country's behaviour.

Indeed. It's also significantly advanced the case for an United Ireland by about a million fold as well. ;)

You can’t reality mention that on boards without being swarmed by the same three accounts screaming NO at you and insisting the polls are all wrong and it’ll never happen.

But back on topic yeah it does.

Just heard a DUP mouthpiece on LBC saying they’ll support Johnson. Unless he crosses them/ doesn’t do their bidding.

They’re not long for this whip master position they’re in right now.
    He’s gonna chuck them under the bus to get his brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You can’t reality mention that on boards without being swarmed by the same three accounts screaming NO at you and insisting the polls are all wrong and it’ll never happen.

But back on topic yeah it does.

Just heard a DUP mouthpiece on LBC saying they’ll support Johnson. Unless he crosses them/ doesn’t do their bidding.

They’re not long for this whip master position they’re in right now.
    He’s gonna chuck them under the bus to get his brexit.

Johnson might get Brexit alright, but it will not be a No Deal Brexit. Parliament will ensure that. As for the DUP I think he will just soften the Red Lines somehow. Sure what the F do they really care about NI anyway, and a plague on all your houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement