Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She must have dirt on him.

She's pro-Brexit.

That's the only requirement to be considered for a cabinet position at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Swinford adds that Gove is in line for a big job :

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1153779352531869696

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

She's pro-Brexit.

That's the only requirement to be considered for a cabinet position at the moment.

She is also a woman. Boris has to appoint women to some of the top jobs....so Priti is a shoo-in for a prominent position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

trellheim wrote: »
    where ya gonna get the numbers , a tweaked PD has failed twice/three times now ?

Correct but the majority against declined each time and if the same deal is presented in different packaging with a Boris bow on top having been seen to try to change the WA but blaming TM for making any change impossible and add a good dose of additional Brexit fatigue on top and I'll bet it squeezes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

I don't think he's throwing the DUP under a bus as he's soon going to have a majority of just 2, including them. And soon there will be negotiations with the DUP over the next phase of their confidence-and-supply deal. According to Beth Rigby, a source told her the DUP will be getting more cash:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1153676117489934336

The DUP don't want no deal. Their ideal scenario would be for the Irish government to be seen to back down and swallow pride. I think with that in mind they will urge Johnson to go all out for a time limit on the backstop. I listened to Bertie Ahern's recent interview with Dunphy and he seemed to be advocating for the government to compromise in this way.

Johnson's speech to the Commons outlining his plan for Brexit will be very interesting. If he indicates he will go for a time limit or unilateral exit from the backstop then that suggests the DUP's influence is being felt. I think if the DUP are happy with what they hear, the ERG will go along with it.

Then the pressure will come on our government from the DUP and Tories to consent to some sort of time limit. Varadkar will then have to make the call whether he will be willing to accept such a thing, or whether it would bring down his own government were he to do so. I'm not sure what he will do.

I don't like the idea of a time limit as it seems to assume that 5/7/10 years down the line Britain will be in a more stable and sensible state and may have a different perspective. I'm not sure that will be the case as the evidence since 2016 doesn't paint that picture.

My sense is Johnson will fail to get anywhere just like May and will resort to a general election rather than crash out without a deal. But who knows!

There is no way the Irish government can accept a time limit. They have been quite clear on multiple occasions that it is unacceptable. That and the fact that having a time limit on it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. How could a government agree to something that makes no sense. It would end the careers of numerous politicians and would be extremely detrimental to the political stability of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

54&56 wrote: »
    Correct but the majority against declined each time and if the same deal is presented in different packaging with a Boris bow on top having been seen to try to change the WA but blaming TM for making any change impossible and add a good dose of additional Brexit fatigue on top and I'll bet it squeezes through.

from your mouth to God's ears but I dont think so

Edit : Priti fking Patel is a trainwreck of epic proportions that woman should not be let near cabinet, bet Thatcher spins in her grave if she gets a big 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

When are the cabinet members announced?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So lads Jim Hacker or Boris Johnson ?
    Hacker wasn't a complete Mé Féiner

Boris will do a bit of reshuffling but what is the talent pool like ?

"It used to be said there were two kinds of chairs to go with two kinds of Ministers: one sort that folds up instantly, the other sort goes round and round in circles."
    - Yes Minister, pilot episode.

If Boris rejects those who didn't support him there won't be much wiggle room in choosing a new cabinet.
    From Yes Minister, Episode 3 1980
    But they are the people's representatives, democratically chosen.

MP's aren't chosen by the people, but by their local party.
    35 men in grubby raincoats or 35 women in silly hats.

But the government are selected from the best of them.

Bernard, there are only 630 MP's.
    If one party has just over 300 it forms a government. Of that 300, one
    hundred are too old and too silly, one hundred too young and too callow
    which leaves just about a hundred MP's to fill one hundred governmental
    posts.
    There's no choice at all. They've had no selection, no training.

LOTS of ministers resigned under May

Shelga wrote: »
    When are the cabinet members announced?

By 22:00 tomorrow apparently but I expect all journalists to be announcing of sorts from mid-afternoon if not earlier.

Boris has a clear and emphatic mandate to deliver Brexit apparently.

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1153680557525651457

From 96K people out of a population of 70M odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Ben Done wrote: »
    Newsnight reporting Priti Patel to be Home Secretary.

Might be time to stock up the larder - she has threatened to starve us out of it in order to make us bend to the UK's will on Brexit.

He is scraping the barrel, but at least there will be no more excuses as we have a Brexiteer in charge and hopefully his cabinet will be full of the likes of Patel and Dorries and if possible Rees-Mogg as well. It is time for those advocating to leave to own Brexit and to own the consequences.

https://twitter.com/damocrat/status/1153641363818332160?s=20

Something will be negotiated, don't know what but Johnson will do it. We are in for interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Anyone watching newsnight? Priti Patel tipped to be home secretary which will be something to say the least.

Not a surprise, hugely popular with the grassroots is Patel.

Watch Newsnight now and then. Ignore echo chamber lefties or righties who say Matliss is unfair to their team, took Mc Donnell and Cleverly apart tonight very easily. She's very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Positivity and spin, that's what he has in spades. Farage and the BP have got by with something similar despite having zero policies. Boris is not a details man, he's a shoot from the hip yada yada. He has built a huge following amongst Tory members. My feeling is that he'll bluff and bluster, and call a snap GE. It's a risk etc but the numbers in HoC dictate reality. Labour are a mess, his job is to neutralise Brexit Party and get in. His priority is power And he'll do whatever it takes to consolidate this. The short time remaining and the Brexit bubble means that no deal is almost a certainty besides not even Boris can shift his Oct 31st declaration. The UK can go down the tubes but the priority is Boris and the Tories, they've pitched their tent on the EU blinking which isn't happening.

Edit: in short Boris is hoping that the EU will do a deal to save the Tories. A short pause for reflection will reveal the ludicrous notion of such, the EU loathes the Tories, the authors of the whole mess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No insults please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I simply cannot believe the way he posed outside Downing St for photographers. It's on the front of most UK papers today, RTE have it top of their news page, the mixed up Dad's army salute with a mixed up thumbs up as well.

It's beyond parody, it's just mind boggling, that at a time of such national insecurity millions of people wake up to that image of the man now chosen to lead them and a large percentage are delighted.

Link below to BBC newspaper section, and you'll see a gallery of it

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-49092664

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Patser wrote: »
    I simply cannot believe the way he posed outside Downing St for photographers. It's on the front of most UK papers today, RTE have it top of their news page, the mixed up Dad's army salute with a mixed up thumbs up as well.

It's beyond parody, it's just mind boggling, that at a time of such national insecurity millions of people wake up to that image of the man now chosen to lead them and a large percentage are delighted.

Link below to BBC newspaper section, and you'll see a gallery of it

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-49092664

I thought the salute made him look like Benny Hil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Wow - Dominic Cummings tipped to be senior advisor or chief of staff today. Sam Coates and Laura K both have it on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I thought the salute made him look like Benny Hil.

Bingo, that's exactly who he looks like. Head pulled in to neck, poor salute, all that's missing is the tongue sticking out.

Boris is a caricature of a politician, a made up eccentric cartoon character, who has never had any clear vision and instead runs to the front of whatever way the crowd is looking. For all his political career he has little to point back at and say I done that - instead it's just photo ops or video clips of him being goofy. And somehow he's magically forgiven for the mess ups that happened while he held responsibility - the waste on the London garden bridge for example.

And here he is, suddenly leading his nation, on promises of day dreams and hope while an absolute, intricate, detail laden deal needs to be done.

Wow - Dominic Cummings tipped to be senior advisor or chief of staff today. Sam Coates and Laura K both have it on twitter.

Nothing to see here, just one of the key people of Vote Leave who broke electoral law and who's investigation by police was seemingly slow tracked due to "political sensitivities" getting a high profile job. I guess it is true that crime pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I can see the WA agreement, with amended PD, voted through. With TM, she was not trusted and a terrible leader. Few, if any, even within the Tory party supported her.

It was risk free to vote it down. Worst case, or best case depending, was TM would go.

But now they have Johnson. If he fails Brexit really is dead. So the likes of the ERG have a risk. Do they believe that he will allow a crash out, or play for time with a possible 2nd ref or GE.

So I can see plenty opting for the WA, with the line that it is only temporary until the technology is in place and US trade deal is signed.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote: »
    Nothing to see here, just one of the key people of Vote Leave who broke electoral law and who's investigation by police was seemingly slow tracked due to "political sensitivities" getting a high profile job. I guess it is true that crime pays.

Let's see how many One Nation Tories put principle before party in the face of Boris's dodgy chums taking over government.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I can see the WA agreement, with amended PD, voted through. With TM, she was not trusted and a terrible leader. Few, if any, even within the Tory party supported her.

It was risk free to vote it down. Worst case, or best case depending, was TM would go.

But now they have Johnson. If he fails Brexit really is dead. So the likes of the ERG have a risk. Do they believe that he will allow a crash out, or play for time with a possible 2nd ref or GE.

So I can see plenty opting for the WA, with the line that it is only temporary until the technology is in place and US trade deal is signed.

But how? Johnson has said of the deal that you say he will now get through, it will make the UK a vassal state of the EU. The backstop that many profess to be against is still there and will not be changed and the PD is nothing more than words as it means nothing. If/when he loses a no-confidence vote or calls a GE after getting the deal through and loses the subsequent election it will mean nothing as the new incoming PM will have other ideas about the future relationship.

He has tied himself in all directions. He is against the deal, is for no-deal, said he wouldn't call a GE. Any way he goes he is breaking a promise, either by taking the deal or by calling an election or he will have his time cut short if he goes for no-deal. He has nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Interesting interviews on Newstalk this morning. Both MPs he interviewed were asked what the plan was. Neither of them had a clue.

The presenter rightly pointed out that Johnson has had 3 years to make a plan and the Tories have not just voted for someone whom they have no idea what he is planning to do or how he plans to do it.

Cummings is going to be seriously interesting (for want of a better word). He was Goves spad when he become the most hated education secretary ever and has said this about the ERG

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1153950256041811968

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Lets not forget Corbyn has said he’s going to call a motion of no confidence. But didn’t say when. Will the numbers be there to support the given they all seem to loathe Corbyn? Or will it be a case of which the loathe more, him or Johnson

Let's see how many One Nation Tories put principle before party in the face of Boris's dodgy chums taking over government.

Looking at the way politicians in the US has given up their own moral code to support Trump, I think a lot of "good people" in the Conservative Party will be doing nothing. The Party will win for most politicians unfortunately. That is why I cannot understand the criticism of the likes of Soubry or Swinson and their voring records. People understand they are part of a party, if Labour had such control of their own party they would have run May out of No.10 a long time ago, instead you have a leader who defied the whip many times and as such now others will follow suit. I give credit to Soubry for quitting the Tories because she didn't agree with the party on Brexit. That takes some courage, more than most people will ever have.

I know this isn't going to happen, but what would you give to have those 7 SF MPs rock up to Westminster to take their seats? (Just imagining and thinking how even more screwed up this whole situation could get)

Patser wrote: »
    Bingo, that's exactly who he looks like. Head pulled in to neck, poor salute, all that's missing is the tongue sticking out.

Boris is a caricature of a politician, a made up eccentric cartoon character, who has never had any clear vision and instead runs to the front of whatever way the crowd is looking. For all his political career he has little to point back at and say I done that - instead it's just photo ops or video clips of him being goofy. And somehow he's magically forgiven for the mess ups that happened while he held responsibility - the waste on the London garden bridge for example.

And here he is, suddenly leading his nation, on promises of day dreams and hope while an absolute, intricate, detail laden deal needs to be done.

You could be describing Trump there. Except for the womanising. No, scrap that. Except for the racist remarks. No, scrap that. Except for the privileged and elitist background. No, scrap that. Hmmm. So hard.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Looking at the way politicians in the US has given up their own moral code to support Trump, I think a lot of "good people" in the Conservative Party will be doing nothing. The Party will win for most politicians unfortunately. That is why I cannot understand the criticism of the likes of Soubry or Swinson and their voring records. People understand they are part of a party, if Labour had such control of their own party they would have run May out of No.10 a long time ago, instead you have a leader you defied the whip many times and as such now others will follow suit. I give credit to Soubry for quitting the Tories because she didn't agree with the party on Brexit. That takes some courage, more than most people will ever have.

I know this isn't going to happen, but what would you give to have those 7 SF MPs rock up to Westminster to take their seats? (Just imagining and thinking how even more screwed up this whole situation could get)

Yes, when it came down to the wire, Soubry had the character to do the right thing as she saw it. I have hope that other One Nation Tories will follow suit and have just been staying inside the tent to try to influence from within. There is no way SF will take their seats for a variety of reasons. Would be a laugh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cummings is going to be seriously interesting (for want of a better word). He was Goves spad when he become the most hated education secretary ever and has said this about the ERG

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1153950256041811968

A fuller quote. I can only read it in a Benedict Cumberbatch voice though.
    Those of you in the narcissist-delusional subset of the ERG who have spent the last three years scrambling for the 8.10 Today slot while spouting gibberish about trade and the law across SW1 – i.e exactly the contemptible behaviour that led to your enforced marginalisation during the referendum and your attempt to destroy Vote Leave – you are also in the pirate category.

You were useful idiots for remain during the campaign and with every piece of bull**** from Bill Cash et al you have helped only Remain for three years.

Remember how you WELCOMED the backstop as a ‘triumph’ in December 2017 when it was obvious to everybody who knew what was going on – NOT the cabinet obviously – that this effectively ended the ‘negotiations’?

Remember how Bernard Jenkin wrote on ConHome that he didn’t have to ‘ruin his weekend’ reading the document to know it was another success for the natural party of government — bringing to mind very clearly how during the referendum so many of you guys were too busy shooting or skiing or chasing girls to do any actual work. You should be treated like a metastasising tumour and excised from the UK body politic.

• Advertisement

A fuller quote. I can only read it in a Benedict Cumberbatch voice though.

Hahaha, me too. Plenty of suggestions now that Johnson is choosing his staff based on elections rather than negotiations. Interesting/mental/bat**** times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement