Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They aren't any less bonkers than some of the characters that inhabit the building. For example, if you google 'mad tory mps' the first result is the wiki page of Michael Fabricant. Mogg, Francois and Cawzynski mustn't be far behind.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,841 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When will he announce cabinet posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Some of the main ones tonight, most likely. Then over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I believe there was a tweet yesterday that said he would have meetings at 5pm to let cabinet ministers go and then from 7pm he will start hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

7pm tonight I believe

• Advertisement

I see Dominic Cummings has been brought in as an advisor to Boris.
    Cummings is not rated as a policy adviser, and has exactly zero experience in public service administration or policy delivery. But he's a first-class campaigner.

What this appointment signals is that Johnson expects, and probably desires, an early election, and that it will be on the issue of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I love Verhofstadt who after a meeting of MEP's today said:

“Boris Johnson will find the European parliament an open and constructive partner. I look forward to alleviating Mr Johnson’s concerns regarding the imminent accession of Turkey to the EU, following the claims of the leave campaign, whilst explaining the EU has no rules on the packaging of kippers in the UK.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boris Boris Boris! So lets see if he starts talking like a leader rather than a campaigner.

"Doomsters, gloomsters" oh dear. Grow up man.

No ifs or buts about Oct 31st but with a better deal!

And we're not waiting 99 days for it - the time has comes to chance this country for the better.

20,000 cops to be recruited as of now (really?!), more GPs! social care crisis to be solved, boost in funding for schooling.

How many billions is that he just committed to?

Wait there's more - BB for all, road and rail for all. Home ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

My god I cannot believe this lad is PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The long boos coming from the crowd is endless outside the gates of Downing Street.

He says he will have the UK leave the EU with a new deal. He also said that the British people have had enough.

He also said this "Never mind the backstop. The buck stops here".

That's stomach churning stuff to hear but not surprising given his personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Just seen on the news that Greenpeace are protesting across the Mall outside the Palace. They tried to blockade BJ's car going into Buckingham Palace.

It failed spectacularly because half of the the human protest banner had to be broken up in half by the Police.

I expect the police to get hardcore on all protests, esp climate and remain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Money for 20k new police and 20 hospital upgrades is coming from where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My god I cannot believe this lad is PM.

Within the madness of Brexit, anything becomes possible

Spend Spend Spend. Genuine Lols here from me.

Like its a rousing enthusiastic speech but honestly how the hell is he honestly telling people that its possible to pay for all he has just announced

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VinLieger wrote: »
    Money for 20k new police and 20 hospital upgrades is coming from where exactly?
    EU grants?

Blame game beginning already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Cummings is not rated as a policy adviser, and has exactly zero experience in public service administration or policy delivery. But he's a first-class campaigner.

What this appointment signals is that Johnson expects, and probably desires, an early election, and that it will be on the issue of Brexit.
    All the twittering noises so far point to Johnson lining up strong pro-Brexiters and bezzy mates owed favours, for his cabinet; with an intention to purge Whitehall of talent deemed to have 'insufficient beliefs', Trump administration-style. Any current talent is fast becoming ex-talent before getting the push, e.g. Hammond.

But then I read an interesting theory, under which Johnson, whispered in the ear by Cummins, is appointing such a bunch of miscreants and sociopaths to cabinet, as to scare the Tories enough to make him lose a VONC in September: that would effectively allow him to trigger an early GE by proxy (since he promised not to call an early GE during the leadership race), as the lost VONC would force the GE out of his hands.

Cue Johnson given free reign to bin his cabinet for a more respectable one, and campaign for the GE as fighting for the people, whose will is being thwarted by self-interested MPs.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Like its a rousing enthusiastic speech but honestly how the hell is he honestly telling people that its possible to pay for all he has just announced
    Deficit spending. Which, honestly, is the standard Keynesian response to an economic shock. And his Brexit policy is certain to inflict a severe economic shock on the UK. So it all stacks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GM for all! Blimey Boris, the British public is very sceptical to say the least about this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This speech by Boris is really bad. It is the 'if only people believe enough' everything will be fine, while promising massive spending, talking about keeping the £39 billion if no deal - despite the EU saying the UK would be treated as a sovereign debt defaulter if this was to happen.
    A load of bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

It’ll backfire spectacularly when he comes home from all with absolutely nothing.

It won't backfire with his base. The exercise isn't to win hearts and minds. It's to self-bestow the right to jump off the cliff with a clear conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Boris speaks highly of free trade. But eh wants to the single market...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Very poor speech. Perhaps that the intention?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

RobertKK wrote: »
    This speech by Boris is really bad. It is the 'if only people believe enough' everything will be fine, while promising massive spending, talking about keeping the £39 billion if no deal - despite the EU saying the UK would be treated as a sovereign debt defaulter if this was to happen.
    A load of bluster.

It'll all be fine for Boris Johnson whatever happens. He won't be out there bearing the brunt of Brexit if it is a failure. He'll be off giving after-dinner speeches for 10 grand an hour.

Very poor speech. Perhaps that the intention?

From the outside yes, but if you were a brexiteer or someone simply tired of hearing about brexit which put together would probable be a majority of the country its everything you wanted or needed to hear.

The problem we all understand is its all absolutely completely impossible to follow through on but it was still a good speech for the people it was aimed at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

RobertKK wrote:
    This speech by Boris is really bad. It is the 'if only people believe enough' everything will be fine, while promising massive spending, talking about keeping the £39 billion if no deal - despite the EU saying the UK would be treated as a sovereign debt defaulter if this was to happen. A load of bluster.

Isn't believing enough basically the same as praying? Johnson and his supporters are basically telling everyone to pray it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Matt Hancock said that this speech today by Boris Johnson was intended to have full of great detail. However; one of the newspapers journalists said on the BBC gave the opinion that this speech was incredibly light on detail. It's properly not understood though about what is going to be contained in Boris Johnson's Brexit strategy from his own government. Also can someone tell me what the by-election is for in the UK parliament?

Also can someone tell me what the by-election is for in the UK parliament?

Possibly referring to the Jared O Mara situation, although a by election still hasn't been called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

54&56 wrote: »
    I love Verhofstadt who after a meeting of MEP's today said:

“Boris Johnson will find the European parliament an open and constructive partner. I look forward to alleviating Mr Johnson’s concerns regarding the imminent accession of Turkey to the EU, following the claims of the leave campaign, whilst explaining the EU has no rules on the packaging of kippers in the UK.”

Tusk also laying down the law. "In Detail" :D

EAP9Jq6UcAElsc3.jpg:small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement