Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Leo Varadkar will give the government's reaction on the Six One about Boris Johnson becoming PM this evening.

Expect it will be quite bland, but hopefully Leo adds a dose of reality to the carnival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Tony Connelly has read some theories that Boris Johnson could call a snap GE in the autumn.

But it seems it was said that a no deal exit from the UK in October seemed more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I wouldn’t like to be a remainer watching who is walking into No 10. But the UK voted brexit and BJ is selecting a No Deal cabinet.

I wonder will they all resign in protest when Boris fails to change reality?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Expect it will be quite bland, but hopefully Leo adds a dose of reality to the carnival.

Leo's saying that a new deal between Britain & the EU will not be taking place as it was not in the real world.
    The Taoiseach said that what British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he wanted was clear, but not detailed.

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One News, he said the Irish Government looks forward to working with Mr Johnson in the future, to discuss issues on Brexit, bilateral relations and Northern Ireland.

He said he wanted to hear Mr Johnson put some "flesh on the bones" over the claims he made in his speech outside No 10 Downing Street earlier today.

Mr Varadkar said that confidence and enthusiasm were not a substitute for proper European policy.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that a new Brexit deal between Britain and the EU will not be taking place.

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One News, he said "Listening to what he [Boris Johnson] said today, I got the impression that he wasn't just talking about deleting the backstop, he was talking about a whole new deal, a better deal for Britain, that's not going to happen".

He said that the suggestion that a whole new Brexit deal could be negotiated in weeks or months was "not in the real world".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Javid is chancellor.

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I wouldn’t like to be a remainer watching who is walking into No 10. But the UK voted brexit and BJ is selecting a No Deal cabinet.

Interesting times ahead

Boris guaranteed an October exit and whilst I'm in no doubt that he'd prefer to exit with a deal, I think he knows that it's going to be a no deal exit. He's building a cabinet for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Raab in as foreign secretary according to some on twitter. The guy who struggled with the location of france and accused the taoiseach of leaking material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's hard to watch Sky live from Westminster with that jingle playing in the background. Surely they must be able to stop whoever is playing it.

Patel Home Secretary : https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1154084619530178560

They may hope there's an election before she can do anything stupid like her last job. And don't let her go on holidays.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/comment/priti-patel-when-holidays-go-wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Berserker wrote: »
    Boris guaranteed an October exit and whilst I'm in no doubt that he'd prefer to exit with a deal, I think he knows that it's going to be a no deal exit. He's building a cabinet for that.

Exactly. It will be 99 days of his cabinet blaming the EU for the No Deal brexit which is on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Today we are learning a valuable lesson in UK politics. It is entirely possible to fail upwards. Patel, Javid and Johnson have a history of failing in their briefs and getting caught committing actual crimes but are now in top jobs. Days like this make me hate politics with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pretti Patel as home secretary should scare everyone. As a rule strong and certainly stable personalities are chosen for such a tricky and at times febrile job. She is certainly an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ruth Davidson not sounding happy about the sacking of Scottish secretary David Blundell. Seems Johnson has just gone and peed off the last remaining Scots who didnt hate him.

Raab in as foreign secretary according to some on twitter. The guy who struggled with the location of france and accused the taoiseach of leaking material.

Confirmed as Foreign Secretary just now. https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1154086907279740928

He is going to get annihilated, a man promoted far beyond his abilities. Wonder if he's gotten around to reading the GFA yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Interesting times ahead
    Nah, happy for brexiteers to own their own mess (although they will obviously blame the EU for their incompetence). As far as getting anything agreed by parliament or not the members of the cabinet doesn't really change anything, if anything then a full brexit cabinet makes agreement from parliament less likely.

robinph wrote: »
    Nah, happy for brexiteers to own their own mess (although they will obviously blame the EU for their incompetence). As far as getting anything agreed by parliament or not the members of the cabinet doesn't really change anything, if anything then a full brexit cabinet makes agreement from parliament less likely.

They will simply run down the clock now leaving no time for elections.

I can’t see Boris asking for extensions even if requested by Parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I'm happy enough too. When this lot mess it up it's over.

Note Dominic Cummings is special advisor to Johnson, de facto chief of staff.

Cummings (I believe) is under NCA and Met investigation for his role in the vote Leave/Beleave fraud. Johnson was figure head in that campaign.

Cummings said the spending in the last week won the day. That was when the £650k fraud occurred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’m in no universe a Leo fan but I loved his multiple killing blows on Johnson’s speech.

Struggling to understand how appointing a no deal cabinet affects the chances of it happening one way or another. Surrounding himself with toadying lackeys might bump up the can do spirit and vim and vigour of cabinet meetings, but it doesn't bring the prospects of a deal or ultimately leaving with no deal any closer than they already are imo. He's made a few people very happy, cheesed off a lot more, but none of these are going to be the ones deciding the issue anyway. Its the Ken Clarkes and Justine Greenings of the house who are going to hold the balance of power on brexit, nothing Johnson does today or tomorrow changes that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They will simply run down the clock now leaving no time for elections.

I can’t see Boris asking for extensions even if requested by Parliament
    But if Parliament demands and extension an Boris won't request it, then parliament can trigger an election just the same.

Even if that all happens on 31st October such that there isn't time for the letter requesting the extension to make it to Brussels I can't see the EU not being sympathetic towards parliament and allowing the extension despite the exact correct things being done in the exact right order.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm happy he's picked a No Deal cabinet, when they fail it will be glorious sight.

I found it ironic as well that Boris wanted to bring his party together but he's made it worse with his cabinet picks.

It's also quite scary to see Dominic Raab as foreign secretary, the man is clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

briany wrote: »
    What I'm reading is that Corbyn plans to wait until after the Summer recess, but it's too late either way. Labour getting in at this stage just puts them in a Karl Donitz type situation.

Yep one of the the shadow cabinet last night claimed they can't move until September as no hope of winning confidence vote?
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Like its a rousing enthusiastic speech but honestly how the hell is he honestly telling people that its possible to pay for all he has just announced

Well he is fan of old Winston and maybe he reckons he can do a modern lend/lease arrangement with Trump.
    For the life of me not sure what he has to offer:rolleyes:
    J Mysterio wrote: »

I always watch Coveney for the real message.

Jaysus Raab and Patel.

And we laugh at our ones. :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What a cabinet, it's a who's who of the most despicable elements of the Tory party, at least the elements that could be considered for a cabinet position, the Marc Francois of this world aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just reading an alert from sky news about a sky data poll. People are "pessimistic about future under boris Johnson but prefer him over Jeremy Corbyn." So given that boris Johnson isn't a member of Mensa and bad enough, how bloody bad do people think Corbyn is ? That has to sting the Labour Party.

But if Parliament demands and extension an Boris won't request it, then parliament can trigger an election just the same.

Even if that all happens on 31st October such that there isn't time for the letter requesting the extension to make it to Brussels I can't see the EU not being sympathetic towards parliament and allowing the extension despite the exact correct things being done in the exact right order.

But who does anyone approach. Only the PM can request an extension and the EU accepts it Or the EU requests an extension and the PM would except it.

Even if there is an Election called. Won’t Boris be PM until he is either re-elected or replaced.

If Rees-Mogg became Brexit Secretary. What would be the people's response from here?

But who does anyone approach. Only the PM can request an extension and the EU accepts it Or the EU requests an extension and the PM would except it.

Even if there is an Election called. Won’t Boris be PM until he is either re-elected or replaced.

I think the situation if parliament voted for an extension, like it did back in march, it would be on the basis that they would then take Johnson down if he refused and a new pm would then come in who would request the extension or there might be some alternative way. I dont think he could seriously refuse parliament anyway given its sovereign role in the UK's democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If Rees-Mogg became Brexit Secretary. What would be the people's response from here?
    Make sure I wasn't watching an episode of spitting image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It's fairly obvious to anyone that Corbyn is the issue for Labour at the minute. Why is his leadership going unchallenged? Do the Labour membership think he is the best man for the job even though he's electorally toxic as proven by the polls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement