Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But who does anyone approach. Only the PM can request an extension and the EU accepts it Or the EU requests an extension and the PM would except it.

Even if there is an Election called. Won’t Boris be PM until he is either re-elected or replaced.

I think the situation if parliament voted for an extension, like it did back in march, it would be on the basis that they would then take Johnson down if he refused and a new pmwould then come in who would request the extension or there might be some alternative way. I dont think he could seriously refuse parliament anyway given its sovereign role in the UK's democracy.
    So 2019 in UK prime ministers could be like 1978 in popes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Raab in as foreign secretary according to some on twitter. The guy who struggled with the location of france and accused the taoiseach of leaking material.

Unbelievable. Not much more to add then that. The lad is absolutely hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,839 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Villiers going into No.10...return trip to Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Barclay has kept Brexit secretary job.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious to anyone that Corbyn is the issue for Labour at the minute. Why is his leadership going unchallenged? Do the Labour membership think he is the best man for the job even though he's electorally toxic as proven by the polls.
    From memory the Labour Party membership backed him big time the last time out. I think it was a lot of young members who for whatever reason see him as a potential future prime minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If Rees-Mogg became Brexit Secretary. What would be the people's response from here?

Raucous laughter.

Pretti Patel as home secretary should scare everyone. As a rule strong and certainly stable personalities are chosen for such a tricky and at times febrile job. She is certainly an outlier.
    Pretti Patel ? Was that the minister who had people checking flight radar to track her plane because she said or did something stupid ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Raab has now effectively conceded that politics of division will continue until they deliver Brexit then all must come together
    "The most important thing is to get us out of the EU by the end of October - preferably with a deal...

"We must get some finality to this Brexit process.

"Once we've done that we can then unite the government and the country around the aspirations and priorities that the PM set out on the steps of Downing Street."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Apart from being a Brexiteer cabinet, this is also a very right wing cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"A charlatan," says Dominic Grieve of his new party leader and PM. Haven't heard him speak that badly of Jeremy Corbyn, not as of yet at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Raab handling the Iran crisis? Imagine working in the FCO, you got rid of Boris (finally) some stability with Hunt and then you see this lad come through the door.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Pretti Patel ? Was that the minister who had people checking flight radar to track her plane because she said or did something stupid ?

She went to and held meetings with Israeli government officials - representing the UK - without anyone's say so or consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

"A charlatan," says Dominic Grieve of his new party leader and PM. Haven't heard him speak that badly of Jeremy Corbyn, not as of yet at least.

Ya Grieve went to town on Boris, ripping into him

A great watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who is playing that xylofoam? Is that Tubular Bells opening refrain?

Apart from being a Brexiteer cabinet, this is also a very right wing cabinet.

Head line and blurb on UK Independent:
    Priti Patel: The controversial right-wing Conservative becomes home secretary

Right-wing Leave campaigner who was accused of running her own foreign policy in the Middle East when minister

It is very right wing thus far, and full of imbeciles, failures, and liars. The worst hits of Brexit essentially.

Watching Sky News with the weird music and EU backdrop is bloody surreal. Brexit, The UK, the UK government and media is all bloody surreal right now, it's like being on acid. Mental.

Who is playing that xylofoam?

I did love the Mario tune during Dominic Grieve interview otherwise it's ****ing annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Raucous laughter.
    I'm already dying of laughter after Raab here, so if JRM makes the list -and as Brexit Sec no less- have some pity because I'm going to need stitches!

I mean, you guys are really good, but you just gotta hand it to the Brits: no-one, but no-one, does humour like they do!

A new word must be invented soon, for parody-beating reality. All those "looking glass" and "postmodern" expressions just do not do justice to the surreal character of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,839 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wish Sky would at least explain what it is.

Headshot wrote: »

A great watch

Here's the video guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOnyqQffgg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Truss to Trade. Does she have exciting new jam export deals planned?

Whens the confidence vote - there's enough rebels he's wholly failed to get onside to down him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,345 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious to anyone that Corbyn is the issue for Labour at the minute. Why is his leadership going unchallenged? Do the Labour membership think he is the best man for the job even though he's electorally toxic as proven by the polls.

40% at the last poll that mattered
    Polls are particularly unstable in these extraordinary times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's being picked up by Sky, CNN and Channel 4 News microphones. It's hard to listen to.

ambro25 wrote: »
    I'm already dying of laughter after Raab here, so if JRM makes the list -and as Brexit Sec no less- have some pity because I'm going to need stitches!

I mean, you guys are really good, but you just gotta hand it to the Brits: no-one, but no-one, does humour like they do!

A new word must be invented soon, for parody-beating reality. All those "looking glass" and "postmodern" expressions just do not do justice to the surreal character of it all.

Barclay is staying on as Brexit Secretary.

A great watch

The notion that when it really comes to the crunch all these anti no-deal conservatives will stay loyal to their party and avert the threat of a Jeremy Corbyn administration is fatally flawed imo. Justine Greening called no deal "the most profoundly unconservative policy i've ever come across" on tv this morning. For these people the immediate threat isn't Corbyn, its the thought of plunging their country into the kind of unmitigated chaos none of them have seen before. Ken Clarke is standing down at the next election, as are several other of his colleagues, they have nothing to lose and i dont think it would matter if they did anyway, they will take Johnson down if the need arises. I have absolutely no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Barclay is staying on as Brexit Secretary.

Rumours of Mogg to be Leader of the Commons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

you also had the empire's theme from star wars in there as well. Raab as foreign secretary, eh? Thats a really interesting development as the idiot didn't even know how important Dover was in terms of the UK's trade when he was brexit secretary a while ago. The EU are going to make absolute mince meat of this lot.:rolleyes:

L1011 wrote: »
    Truss to Trade. Does she have exciting new jam export deals planned?

Whens the confidence vote - there's enough rebels he's wholly failed to get onside to down him.

Lynn "our flood defences worked really well up to the point at which they failed" Truss. I saw her belly laughing at Johnsons lame "Dude" schtick during yesterdays leadership announcement and knew then she'd have to fit in somewhere.

I can hear the ‘Emperors March’ in there!! Quite apt tbh, as its like Emperor Palpatine has materialised for real and has taken control. Priti Patel in government. Oh dear.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s the imperials March/Vader theme from Star Wars.

Apt and Thematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Adam Boulton was just discussing the increased numbers of protestors around Whitehall and referred to the team broadcasting from Westminster as having their own protestors before handing over to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement