Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Been said many times Brexit can’t get more bizarre and it always does somehow.

We are now into a fatally comedic ridiculous cabinet.

The only upshot is when it all goes south it’ll be on the laps of each one of the absolutely unfit for office clowns Johnson has appointed and his own.

You don't seriously think these people are going to take responsibility for their own ineptitude do you? Every available scapegoat, and a few previously unheard of ones, will be wheeled out to be used as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It will have to be as follows:

1. Boris sets hardline, right wing government and expects to fail in negotiations with EU when they 'refuse to negotiate' despite his 'mandate'.

2. With the departures from Government, Boris has further widened the division in the Tories and there may even be resignations from the party.

3. He can't command a majority, there will have to be an election. Boris Brexit line will be clear and simple, Corbyn is struggling to define his. Boris thinks he is a good campaigner and will win against Corbyn in a GE and have a fresh majority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You don't seriously think these people are going to take responsibility for their own ineptitude do you? Every available scapegoat, and a few previously unheard of ones, will be wheeled out to be used as an excuse.

Oh I know. It won’t wash with the public though. Not now.
    Boris said leave 31st no matter what. When it’s apparent to all he’ll have to ask for an extension. It’ll roll downhill as sh!t has a habit of doing.
    They’re all screwed this new cabinet to the last one. And it’s delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Williamson is Education Secretary. Man who leaked top secret info while Defence Sec.

Who will be NI Secretary?

Julian Smith was mentioned earlier in Boards.ie dispatches. :)

Mentioned by me based on this tweet:

No confirmation yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

You're ignoring the Brexit party who will massively dilute the Tory vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It would be interesting to see how many are still active members of the party, or did they join to elect a no hoper to scupper any future labour government hopes?

I read over past couple of days that there has been a slight drop off in Labour membership figures, but nothing particularly severe. Corbyn was elected leader largely because there was a yearning for a figure from the left wing of the party to address the slide to the right that had been in train since the early years of blairism. Its kind of cyclical how it goes i guess. I think the tragedy for Labour is that somebody like Corbyn is the only real chance they have of properly addressing the issues of inequality they care most about and in ditching him, as they will inevitably do, they will fall back on one of those middle ground triangulators who will immediately abandon the traditional Labour working class voters as Blair did back in the day.

Has anyone from the DUP ever been given a cabinet position?

That today would be the only way this could get crazier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Has anyone from the DUP ever been given a cabinet position?

That today would be the only way this could get crazier

Sammy Wilson - Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. You heard it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

3. He can't command a majority, there will have to be an election. Boris Brexit line will be clear and simple, Corbyn is struggling to define his. Boris thinks he is a good campaigner and will win against Corbyn in a GE and have a fresh majority.

If Labour can get a leader with a clear Brexit strategy, that'd be a game changer. Boris is a good campaigner to be fair. Far better than Corbyn or May.
    54&56 wrote: »

Not if Boris is going to the electorate with a strong pro-Brexit line. He'll bring back the Tory voters that the Brexit party have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

If you dont know how good Liz Truss is , have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXL7dzlEUYQ

• Advertisement

Sammy Wilson - Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. You heard it here first.

You almost gave me a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Does this feel anyway definitive to anyone? It does to me. Definitively towards a ****show but nevertheless definitive.

Berserker wrote: »
    If Labour can get a leader with a clear Brexit strategy, that'd be a game changer. Boris is a good campaigner to be fair. Far better than Corbyn or May.

Believe me, i am fully cognizant of Corbyns flaws - and they are many - but i would have to take some issue with these statements. Corbyn may indeed be a brexiteer himself, at least of the soft variety, but i dont know how clearer the partys brexit policy could be. Labour has voted against the governments brexit policy every step of the way, twice whipped its MPs to vote in favour of a second referendum. Its current policy is to insist on a referendum to whatever deal the government agrees and then to campaign to remain, it seems very clear to me anyway.

Corbyn does not impress at the dispatch box, but he has at least proved himself to be a good campaigner at the 2017 election. Has to prove it was more than a one-off to be fair.

As the DUP are a separate party to the Conservatives, assuming they cannot have cabinet positions in their government. Could be that a confidence and supply arrangement might change that - not sure - but would assume not.

Arlene and DUP want promises and money. If there is to be a GE, they will be irrelevant again and will have lost their leverage, and wasted any leverage NI as a whole once held.

Terrible to hear 'never mind the backstop, the buck stops here'. If there is to be a Brexit, the backstop would have been the best thing to ever happen to NI, as it's currently constituted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

As the DUP are a separate party to the Conservatives, assuming they cannot have cabinet positions in their government. Could be that a confidence and supply arrangement might change that - not sure - but would assume not.

Arlene and DUP want promises and money. If there is to be a GE, they will be irrelevant again and will have lost their leverage, and wasted any leverage NI as a whole once held.

Terrible to hear 'never mind the backstop, the buck stops here'. If there is to be a Brexit, the backstop would have been the best thing to ever happen to NI, as it's currently constituted.

I believe for them to have cabinet positions it would make it a coalition as opposed to C&S, as they would be an actual part of the government then. Now they only support it.

I'd be happy with that. The man has spent his life working hard to the people of NI. You could do an awful lot worse.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I believe for them to have cabinet positions it would make it a coalition as opposed to C&S, as they would be an actual part of the government then. Now they only support it.

My thinking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He thinks he runs the place as it is...no biggie to pay him for thinking it I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The worst of it all is Dominic Cummings, a man held in contempt of Parliament, and his team, is running No 10.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Its current policy is to insist on a referendum to whatever deal the government agrees and then to campaign to remain, it seems very clear to me anyway.
    You forgot the next line of their policy which is in the event of Labour getting into power then to go for a Labour version of Brexit instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is this the most right wing / hard right government in Europe? Orban in Hungary is the only other one I can think of.

Berserker wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that. The man has spent his life working hard to the people of NI. You could do an awful lot worse.

No, you couldn't do worse than Sammy. Well, maybe Bozo the clown. No, Bozo would be better.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Is this the most right wing / hard right government in Europe? Orban in Hungary is the only other one I can think of.

Italy, Austria and Slovenia i think would all have hard right elements in power. Personally, as distasteful as i find this UK government, i dont think it compares to the likes of Orban or Salvini in terms of extremism. Not yet anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gooch2k9 wrote: »

If the DUP were in coalition then wouldn't that break the GFA as the Westminster government is meant to remain neutral?

Italy? Salvini was delighted with Boris's election.

Boris is not right wing, not even close. He's the ex-mayor of London, one of the most liberal cities in the world and he was very successful in that role. Are you one of these people who thinks that FF/FG are right wing also?

robinph wrote: »
    You forgot the next line of their policy which is in the event of Labour getting into power then to go for a Labour version of Brexit instead.

I dont know is that official policy. Havent heard it from corbyn at least, maybe i missed it though?

https://labour.org.uk/latest/stories/labour-demands-brexit-public-vote/

Edit: actually, i see what you're getting at. If there's an election and Labour win, then yes, the intention would then be to come to a compromise brexit position and put it to a public vote. I dont have an issue with that either, a soft brexit would seem to me a very good option to end all this, but it goes back to the people either way. Cant see much wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Julian Smith NI Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Italy? Salvini was delighted with Boris's election.

Though Italy is a coalition government : Five Star are nominally left wing, not right and there are some independents in the cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

54&56 wrote: »
    yeah, no.

How many MPs did UKIP get, how many kept their seats ?

Farage's offer of an election pact has been rejected out of hand.

Here 723,632 voted against the abortion referendum. How many of those voted for anti-abortion candidates in the EU elections ?

In the UK its even worse as with FPTP every protest vote is wasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement