Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Berserker wrote: »
    Boris is not right wing, not even close. He's the ex-mayor of London, one of the most liberal cities in the world and he was very successful in that role. Are you one of these people who thinks that FF/FG are right wing also?

Patel, Raab and Javid are right wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Italy, Austria and Slovenia i think would all have hard right elements in power. Personally, as distasteful as i find this UK government, i dont think it compares to the likes of Orban or Salvini in terms of extremism. Not yet anyway.

The manner in which certain poster on here and people in Ireland through around the term "right wing" is ridiculous. Boris isn't even close to being right wing. Salvini was happy about Boris becoming PM because it has the potential to annoy the EU. Salvini, Orban, Le Pen etc wouldn't have much in common with Boris in terms of policy.
    Patel, Raab and Javid are right wingers.

Raab has no substance. He's as vanilla as they come. Patel and Javid are conservative. They are not right wingers unless you want to stoop down to the level of tabloid journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Boris is not right wing, not even close. He's the ex-mayor of London, one of the most liberal cities in the world and he was very successful in that role. Are you one of these people who thinks that FF/FG are right wing also?

Boris is hated by a lot of London. He voted leave in a remain heavy city. He is OK with a No Deal brexit in one of the finance capitals of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There is a fantastic interview with Fintan O'Toole here on Jon Snow's Channel 4 show.

From 34:17

I think he captures the mood etc very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Boris is hated by a lot of London. He voted leave in a remain heavy city. He is OK with a No Deal brexit in one of the finance capitals of the world.

Not even sure he's all that popular in his own constituency which is a remain one and there are some leftover issues concerning the third heathrow runway. Big leap of imagination to take to see him unseated, but in the current climate, well, you never know....

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Though Italy is a coalition government : Five Star are nominally left wing, not right and there are some independents in the cabinet

Yes, but Salvini wields the power. The League topped the poll in the EU elections and are consistently moving up the party polls. Five Star are tanking and afraid of an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

He voted leave in a remain heavy city. He is OK with a No Deal brexit in one of the finance capitals of the world.

Does that make him right wing? That makes him pro-Brexit, in my mind, not right wing.

Not even sure he's all that popular in his own constituency which is a remain one and there are some leftover issues concerning the third heathrow runway. Big leap of imagination to take to see him unseated, but in the current climate, well, you never know....

Exactly. Wonder will he still be lying down in front of them bulldozers? :rolleyes:

The manner in which certain poster on here and people in Ireland through around the term "right wing" is ridiculous. Boris isn't even close to being right wing. Salvini was happy about Boris becoming PM because it has the potential to annoy the EU. Salvini, Orban, Le Pen etc wouldn't have much in common with Boris in terms of policy.

Raab is a toff who struggles to get dressed in the morning. He's no substance behind him as a a politician. He's as vanilla as they come. Patel and Javid are conservative. They are not right wingers unless you want to stoop down to the level of tabloid journalism.
    Doesn't matter what you think about Raab - he's Foreign Secretary and he's right wing. Javid, as Chancellor, will be very right wing. If you think Patel isn't right wing, then you don't know what you're talking about.

Does that make him right wing? That makes him pro-Brexit, in my mind, not right wing.

I dunno man. I just have a feeling that this guy who is a member of the conservative party, a former telegraph columnist and former editor of the spectator is right of centre yano?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Boris Johnson is doing the political version of gutting a house. Also they’ve shown the inside of 10 Downing Street on sky news and I’d never seen inside before. I expected more honestly.

His brother has just gone into Downing Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Johnson is not any wing and is a closet Europhile (the Brexit disciples would be appalled)

His cabinet is full of hard right types though, definitely Raab and Patel for starters

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    His brother has just gone into Downing Street.

Will be interesting to see if he sells his soul.

Will be interesting to see if he sells his soul.

Yes I wonder where he will end up. Was watching his face during Johnson's speech. He was in shot everytime the camera went to Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

he was very successful in that role

He was not really successful as Mayor of London

Yes I wonder where he will end up. Was watching his face during Johnson's speech. He was in shot everytime the camera went to Hunt.

I've seen him interviewed a few times and was impressed. Very articulate, intelligent and informed. Would be very disappointing to see him take the shilling.

I've seen him interviewed a few times and was impressed. Very articulate, intelligent and informed. Would be very disappointing to see him take the shilling.

Yesterday B Johnson joked that he would be stealing Hunt's ideas and J Johnson didnt laugh like most did.

Yesterday B Johnson joked that he would be stealing Hunt's ideas and J Johnson didnt laugh like most did.

I'd say he had a mirthless chuckle to himself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be happy with that. The man has spent his life working hard to the people of NI. You could do an awful lot worse.
    The people of NI or the unionists of NI?
    What has he done for the Nationalist community?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Boris Johnson is doing the political version of gutting a house. Also they’ve shown the inside of 10 Downing Street on sky news and I’d never seen inside before. I expected more honestly.

It's not too bad inside, knock yourself out

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5033577,-0.1276221,2a,75y,32.4h,96.17t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sTJOv9FaKwWsAAAQ0MEmb3A!2e0!3e2!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DTJOv9FaKwWsAAAQ0MEmb3A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D260.79105%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The people of NI or the unionists of NI?
    What has he done for the Nationalist community?

Galvanised them.

Haha during Theresa May’s speech today that I’m only watching now on sky the “stop brexit” lad interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

To know what Johnson is really like, look at what he did to Hunt, 'take you're friend's job or go to the backbenches.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

I'd be happy with that. The man has spent his life working hard to the people of NI. You could do an awful lot worse.

I don't think you could actually pick anyone worse. The man is a sectarian bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Beth Rigby analysis is correct, he is going for broke.
    It has all the looks of an election team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is a very Brexit cabinet. A lot of pressure about to come on us.

Expect rough time ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is a very Brexit cabinet. A lot of pressure about to come on us.

Expect rough time ahead.

They are gonna starve us or threaten us?

Serious question, what 'pressure' can they bring to bear exactly, that hasn't been tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are gonna starve us or threaten us?

Serious question, what 'pressure' can they bring to bear exactly, that hasn't been tried?

Obvious one is ending the CTA which would be a very serious threat. It matters far more to us than to them.

The card has not been played yet but I fully expect something on it if things are not going their way soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Looks like he's going for an election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement