Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Surprised at junker using language like ‘designed to crack the unity of the eu’

That’ll be seen and exploited by the Brits as weakness and they’re about to cave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Baldrick's Boris Johnson's cunning plan is so obvious that it is no longer cunning.

No point in sneaking up on the enemy in full view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

trellheim wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1154389502208729094

Apparently they could not even ring Juncker last night as they got the timezone wrong. Again though nothing happens by chance in any of this - not even Williamson being rehired as Education secretary.

Jesus, the replies under that tweet are crazy - We've got them now!!! Watch those snowflakes melt! etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Surprised at junker using language like ‘designed to crack the unity of the eu’

That’ll be seen and exploited by the Brits as weakness and they’re about to cave.

how - it reads more to me like a roll of the eyes - sort of a check out their latest plan lads!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Apparently they could not even ring Juncker last night as they got the timezone wrong. Again though nothing happens by chance in any of this - not even Williamson being rehired as Education secretary.

As Juncker is an alcoholic would there be any point in calling him from late afternoon on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bottom of the barrel has been well and truly reached

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

theguzman wrote: »
    As Juncker is an alcoholic would there be any point in calling him from late afternoon on?

##Mod Note##

User banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Jesus, the replies under that tweet are crazy - We've got them now!!! Watch those snowflakes melt! etc...

Not sure which one comes up first for you but my one is some lad who has posted two pics, one of a knight and the flag in the background.

So strange the mentality that surrounds lots of the brexiteers. Many seem to be those who just need to feel part of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

What will happen is that in November, the brits will just say: look, the border isn't an issue after all

Yes, Its something we probably don't grasp - to them (in england) the border is just not their problem - its just something, somewhere else that they dont really understand. They dont care if it works or not.

If only it wasnt for the pesky DUP & the rest of the Murphys....

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Yes, Its something we probably don't grasp - to them (in england) the border is just not their problem - its just something, somewhere else that they dont really understand. They dont care if it works or not.

If only it wasnt for the pesky DUP & the rest of the Murphys....

Andy then they go ‘hang. Those pesky DUP are right here’

And they then neuter them politically and Arlene sails back into irrelevance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are we reading the shrill death rattle of the Brexiteer movement in those replies? The overwhelming sense reading them is that they know that Boris is a futile but valiant two fingers to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What will happen is that in November, the brits will just say: look, the border isn't an issue after all

The British border in Ireland will be very small beer beside the catastrophe at the English Channel ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I find it interesting too to see that the Brexit Party types have welcomed Johnson and his cabinet with open arms. The two are completely interchangeable, there are not even slight differences.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I find it interesting too to see that the Brexit Party types have welcomed Johnson and his cabinet with open arms. The two are completely interchangeable, there are not even slight differences.

Been listening to farage on LBC last few days and at trumps suggestion at a rally, he’s making very public overtones and flirting suggesting he’d be open to joining the Tories in coalition to deliver brexit

Imagine that actually happened. Brexit can always get worse is all we have learned so it’s possible no matter how unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

How can the Brexit Party enter into any kind of coalition with the Tories, they have no MPs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Interesting theory on UK Gov tactics:

https://twitter.com/syrpis/status/1154286327699005440

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Shelga wrote: »
    How can the Brexit Party enter into any kind of coalition with the Tories, they have no MPs!

It's the sort of make believe politics that is upon us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Rjd2 wrote: »
    A reminder of the bad old days when he used to struggle with Cameron.

Its impossible to predict what will happen with most confidence, but think the election which is coming and tbf to Boris he is correct to prepare for,,,will end with up with Lib Dems been king makers.

They will go into Government with Labour but probably will demand that Corbyn steps down and I think he will....ignore the vocal Corybn disciples online, majority of Labour voters want Brexit defeated and Corbyn been hopeless means no deal is very much on. This is not 2017 where he rocked up to Glastonbury and got a great reception,,,the sitting on the fence act doesn't work anymore.

Starmer seems to be doing well in recent member polls, he'd be very acceptable to the Lib Dems, heck he'd probably be a much more formidable opponent for Boris than Jez.

Gonna come back to this, could be spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

That is the best description of Boris' tactics I've seen It makes sense, and it will work if Cunnings's tactics are allowed to work again.

Given the sh!tshow that was the Remain campaign last time, the Tories will get a majority and then God help us all. I must say i've never been so pessimistic about the future of us, our relationship with the UK and the future of the EU as a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Shelga wrote: »
    They could be made peers, e.g. Lord Nigel, then they could accept cabinet positions. Unlikely but that is how it might be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's an interesting theory and I think he's right. Johnson wants to provoke a GE but not call it himself. He wants his own solid majority to anchor himself in power for the next 5 years.

The problem with this is it means backtracking on his do or die promise and furthermore doesn't resolve Brexit.

This theory is actually a common one, Johnson is trying to engineer a general election. He probably doesn't give a hoot about Brexit and is more interested in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

It's an interesting theory and I think he's right. Johnson wants to provoke a GE but not call it himself. He wants his own solid majority to anchor himself in power for the next 5 years.

The problem with this is it means backtracking on his do or die promise and furthermore doesn't resolve Brexit.

It might be a backtrack, but it would have happened as a result of a desperate attempt by the remoaners to defy the will of the people (can't you hear the speech now:rolleyes:) and on that basis Boris would happily get an extension to have a GE, something the EU would be duty bound to allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Don't worry everyone, the cricket match is going to change everything about brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Don't worry everyone, the cricket match is going to change everything about brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

cml387 wrote:
    Boris would happily get an extension to have a GE, something the EU would be duty bound to allow.

Says who?

It's very possible that Johnson doesn't even give a toss about Brexit and wouldn't even care if it was cancelled. If that is the case, the Brexiteers would be mortified.....they probably think from his rhetoric he is an ideological EU hating nut like they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Strazdas wrote: »
    This theory is actually a common one, Johnson is trying to engineer a general election. He probably doesn't give a hoot about Brexit and is more interested in power.

Indeed. I mentioned it twice yesterday myself (not saying this as a pat on my own back, but that it isn't new).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Another Vote Leave appointment to take note of. I suspect nothing will happen with the investigations as those at the heart of it is now in charge of the country. Let the UK never laugh at another countries corruption when it is so open in front of them.

https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1154370540502691841?s=20

https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1154371914808406016?s=20

The failure of the press will be looked back on with dismay I hope. That journalists have become celebrities themselves in a way instead of just reporting the story is a sad indictment of our world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Chloe Westley in at No10. Utterly crazy stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement