Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Strazdas wrote: »
    Gavan Reilly reports that the Barclay thing never even happened, so our friend Littlejohn is lying on top of everything else.

I would've thought that it was quite obviously untrue. You don't visit someone to give them the riot act, you summons them to your location.

The fact that you have deputations visiting Dublin and other European capitals belies the truth of where the real power lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The telegraph actually reporting facts?

We truly are in end days

What was the reference to opening a cafe on Manston Airfield about? Is that a point of the bottleneck?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Igotadose wrote: »
    What was the reference to opening a cafe on Manston Airfield about? Is that a point of the bottleneck?

You''ll make a fortune off the truckers waiting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Guardian is also reporting that the usual call that takes place when there's a new leader in the UK or Ireland to their counterpart hasn't yet happened after four days...

Boris Johnson yet to make a phone call to Irish PM Leo Varadkar

Think fault here is with Varadkar.

The normal way is for foreign leaders to phone the incoming leader and congratulate them, not the other way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The normal way is for foreign leaders to phone the incoming leader and congratulate them, not the other way around.

You’ve been months now saying we’re about to cave. You’ve been corrected times beyond count.
    Yet You’re still pushing this nonsense?

Give it over fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think so....the Taoiseach congratulated him on Twitter as soon as he was appointed

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1153664813614153728

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's a disused airport near the channel ports that will presumably be used for truck parking when the ports are overloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: One-liners deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

The telegraph actually reporting facts?

We truly are in end days
    That's very unfair on Peter Foster to be honest.

• Advertisement

You’ve been months now saying we’re about to cave. You’ve been corrected times beyond count.
    Yet You’re still pushing this nonsense?

Give it over fella.

I have no idea what you are on about.

I said the normal approach is for foreign leaders to give courtesy call to new leader.

I don't see how anyone can argue with common sense.

fash wrote: »
    That's very unfair on Peter Foster to be honest.

I have to say I follow him on twitter and have done for months and it was only the other week I decked he was The Telegraph. I find him to be excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I have no idea what you are on about.

I said the normal approach is for foreign leaders to give courtesy call to new leader.

I don't see how anyone can argue with common sense.

Clearly you do.

Have you looked up Johnson calling Junker and getting the time wrong?
    On purpose!

And he was told the same his predecessor was told. Sign up to the withdrawal agreement or no deal.

Didn’t see that today in the mail no?

Can’t imagine why

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think leaving the EU itself is what gets peoples' backs up, after all not many people feel much of an attachment to the EU.

However it's the consequences of leaving the EU that are the issue, and you won't see those consequences until the UK (inc. NI) have left. That's when people will start getting angry.

I fail to see what the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

lawred2 wrote: »
    I fail to see what the difference is

The UK hasn't left the EU yet therefore the consequences haven't been felt therefore people aren't up in arms as much as they will be should it all go horribly wrong, which it probably will.

The I newspaper reporting Downing Street saying BJ has "not had the time" to speak with Varadkar (which of course is nonsense as he has spoken with several leaders).

That's a clear snub in my opinion.

Its a strange approach to take but christ knows what he is thinking. Everyone should just enjoy a quiet August before the utter ****storm that lies ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

The I newspaper reporting Downing Street saying BJ has "not had the time" to speak with Varadkar

That's a clear snub in my opinion.

It was your opinion half an hour ago that Leo had snubbed him.

It seems you love to drop headlines here in order to raise a response.
    It's not entirely clear what the motivation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,612 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So trump is saying negotiations are ongoing for a trade deal with the UK...

I was under impression no deals can be negotiated until after the UK do actually leave?

Ben Done wrote: »
    It was your opinion half an hour ago that Leo had snubbed him.

It seems you love to drop headlines here in order to raise a response.
    It's not entirely clear what the motivation is.

I assumed Varadkar had not asked to contact him. It appears from No 10 that is (probably) not the case.

Also I don't need anyone's validation, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

bilston wrote:
    The UK hasn't left the EU yet therefore the consequences haven't been felt therefore people aren't up in arms as much as they will be should it all go horribly wrong, which it probably will.

https://www.ft.com/content/82674920-af9e-11e9-8030-530adfa879c2

The issue is that Johnson has said he won't negotiate unless the backstop is dropped. This will bring to a head fairly quickly. Either Johnson backs down similar to Teresa May or everyone starts activating no deal contingencies. The consequences could be felt before the UK formally leaves given in the link it mentions that a no deal would threaten the existence of the UK motor industry. Not to mention the damage it will do to the UK service industry.

On a broader note it will be interesting to see how serious Johnson is with his threat . Whatever he does he will bring things to a head quickly and create a reaction in the UK on either side of the debate.

I was under impression no deals can be negotiated until after the UK do actually leave?
    Correct, but nothing stopping them from doing the groundwork first to ensure a rapid agreement process after Brexit, plus the all important "holding pattern" to allow trading on B-day day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I don't know the extent to which trade talks are taking place but I believe the rule is that whereas trade deals can't be concluded while the UK is in the EU, talks can take place in advance of the UK leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Guardian is also reporting that the usual call that takes place when there's a new leader in the UK or Ireland to their counterpart hasn't yet happened after four days...

Boris Johnson yet to make a phone call to Irish PM Leo Varadkar

This is very interesting. I presume Leo already made/ attempted to make the call? Because - really - the convention is that leaders ring to congratulate the new leader of an country... They don't wait to receive a call from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

There's a fairly significant possibility that this could end up as the biggest breakdown in Anglo-Irish relations since the 1920 and 30s. I don't really think we want to, or will be able to, placate this kind of nonsense.

The sense I'm getting is they're attempting to turn us into the Brexit scapegoat because they're hitting a brick wall by trying to deliver the impossible.

Strange times and I think they're likely to get stranger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There's a fairly significant possibility that this could end up as the biggest breakdown in Anglo-Irish relations since the 1920 and 30s. I don't really think we want to, or will be able to, placate this kind of nonsense.

The sense I'm getting is they're attempting to turn us into the Brexit scapegoat because they're hitting a brick wall by trying to deliver the impossible.

Strange times and I think they're likely to get stranger yet.

We're off the hook. The ERG have said they won't accept the WA never mind the backstop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

We're off the hook. The ERG have said they won't accept the WA never mind the backstop.

Even so, it looks to me like the hibernophobia and paddywhackery is stepping up a notch.

Ends Kenny was the very first leader Theresa May contacted when she became PM.

I have no doubt given the nonsense from Downing Street that it's deliberate.

To the Boris wing of the party Ireland is not a decision maker and is in UK sphere of influence so they go over the head to Macron and Merkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Even so, it looks to me like the hibernophobia and paddywhackery is stepping up a notch.

It will pass. It'll be French next week, the Germans the week after, the Spanish, et cetera ad nauseam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is very interesting. I presume Leo already made/ attempted to make the call? Because - really - the convention is that leaders ring to congratulate the new leader of an country... They don't wait to receive a call from them?

The problem simply has to be at the UK end. The Taoiseach and his officials are fully aware of the diplomatic protocol, so something has gone wrong cross channel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement