Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Every utterance from the pro Brexit side now has to be checked against actual facts

You cannot trust a word that comes out of their mouths
    Even when proven wrong it does not matter. Check out Lord Digby's tweets today.

Here is the tweet in question,

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/1155424393700548609?s=20

So we do 90% of our trade with the UK now apparently. And it will just be a matter of time before those German car makers jump in, I know they have said everything to the contrary but just wait until they realize Johnson is serious. Then they will act.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

August is a dead month for news.

So we then have the Conference Season. What will Jeremy no comment have to say I wonder?

We all know that the Tory Conference will be full of hurrahs and all that.

I'd be looking at Labour, Lib Dems TBH for a decent counterpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

If it gets nasty, which it looks like it will, then Dover might be chaotic, but Heathrow, Gatwick ans Stansted will be at a standstill. The EU can just stop UK aircraft from landing at all EU airports by simply not allowing their proposed moratorium of the forth and fifth freedom rights. That alone will bring air travel to a halt in the UK.

The current proposal is to allow planes to travel to EU airports, but not carry on to a second EU airport. (This is an EU proposal to help the EU - not an agreement with the UK but if things get nasty .... ). They could just not allow UK aircraft to land at any EU airport if a trade war is declared by Johnson - as he is now making noises about.

He has a few big bazookas in his arsenal to silence the DUP, so his insistence that there be no infrastructure in Ireland only requires a border in the Irish sea which is simple to effect. A lot simpler to implement than his other strategies.

What noises are being made about a trade war? Engaging on WTO terms if necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

If it gets nasty, which it looks like it will, then Dover might be chaotic, but Heathrow, Gatwick ans Stansted will be at a standstill. The EU can just stop UK aircraft from landing at all EU airports by simply not allowing their proposed moratorium of the forth and fifth freedom rights. That alone will bring air travel to a halt in the UK.

The current proposal is to allow planes to travel to EU airports, but not carry on to a second EU airport. (This is an EU proposal to help the EU - not an agreement with the UK but if things get nasty .... ). They could just not allow UK aircraft to land at any EU airport if a trade war is declared by Johnson - as he is now making noises about.

He has a few big bazookas in his arsenal to silence the DUP, so his insistence that there be no infrastructure in Ireland only requires a border in the Irish sea which is simple to effect. A lot simpler to implement than his other strategies.

Have you ever studied the UK's FIRs?

https://www.nats.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/UKFIRs2-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I am after going down a rabbits warren of Brexiteer accounts on Twitter and it is beyond baffling. A mix of baby boomers, retirees (both who have made their money and own their homes) and then working class individuals. All with this bizarre hate for the EU. Do these people lack a cause or an interest in their lives? Does Brexit and hate of the EU fill some type of gap?

I mentioned my uncle here previously being a brexiteer and how he wanted less EU laws and it is just so baffling. What EU law do you think about when you drive in your Audi or sit in Old Trafford ya sweaty bag of shyte. I find the whole mentality so weird.

Ivan Yates said the other evening that Brexit now has all the trappings of a religious cult. They've dispensed with facts and logical arguments.....it now comes down to whether you believe in the religion or not (making it impossible to debate such a person or win an argument with them).

• Advertisement

I am sorry, what is your point? Your link is a picture so I am not sure what your point is, care to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

August is a dead month for news.

So we then have the Conference Season. What will Jeremy no comment have to say I wonder?

We all know that the Tory Conference will be full of hurrahs and all that.

I'd be looking at Labour, Lib Dems TBH for a decent counterpoint.

Johnson got a bounce in the polls. The Tories lead Labour 31% to 21%. Under anyone but Corbyn, that would swivel to Labour leading the Tories 34% to 28%. That's how awful Corbyn is as a leader. Apart from the fact that they have a disastrous electoral system that allows loons like the ERG to seize power, the Leader of the Opposition is a waste of space. There is no effective opposition to Johnson et al.

Enzokk wrote: »
    I am sorry, what is your point? Your link is a picture so I am not sure what your point is, care to expand?

Certainly, the original post claimed that the EU could bring UK airports to a halt, I was pointing out that every plane flying in and out of your country has to pass through a UK FIR. If the EU tried to damage Britain then Ireland could also suffer, as would the EU..

The use of threats is ridiculous, either side could cripple the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No effective opposition is all down to the Labour Party. They seem happy enough to carry on as they are now.

Why I do not know, maybe Momentum are pulling the strings, but even they should see that having a decent stab at a GE is in Labour's favour with a different leader now? Cannot understand it myself. But someone may educate me.

Certainly, the original post claimed that the EU could bring UK airports to a halt, I was pointing out that every plane flying in and out of your country has to pass through a UK FIR. If the EU tried to damage Britain then Ireland could also suffer, as would the EU..

UK at far greater risk in such a scenario. The Single Market would still be functioning as normal : Germany is bordered by nine countries for example (none of whom are the UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭brickster69

If the UK leaves with no deal, they won't be worried about their border in Ireland. Their border with France and the motorway jam leading to it from London will be the issue.

And any deal which makes Dover Calais work will make the border in Ireland invisible again.

Sounds like a plan, should be really great for Ireland's exports going to the EU through that jam. Presumably Europe's businesses will also be over the moon with it's goods being blocked going into the UK also.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They are not 'UK' FIR's, responsibility for them lies with the ICAO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So Calais wants to become a ghost town?
    Nice attempt to deflect away from the topic but once again you've misunderstood things. For starters Calais is not at the negotiation table; France is so their wants as a single town don't measure up for much. Secondly; their trade will do fine as the issue is the trucks leaving UK more so than entering and will have greatly improved sales due to the new smuggling opportunities (since UK said they are not going to check any trucks). But hey; want a second try?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Johnson might think he can control the narrative, but he has unleashed a force he has no control over. He certainly isn't going to tell Cummings. Johnson will end up the front of house puppet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Flying through airspace is OK, it is landing rights that could be denied. The UK could fly to anywhere outside the EU, but could be denied rights within the EU. Rights to land, rights to deliver passengers, rights to pick up passengers, etc. all are subject to current agreements that expire if the UK leaves without a deal.

Then there is certification, licences, insurance, etc.

If it gets nasty, ......

The post was not talking about overflying but departing from airports. In any case, as you say, if you get into a fight about overflight rights you wonder how UK airlines will fly anywhere but north. So all their flights to Asia and Africa will be shut. They could still fly to North America, but the flight time will be increased as going west will not be an option.

But that is not what we are talking about as those rights are not up for negotiation. So your post was not on point to what you were replying to. If it was an attempt to deflect I don't think it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Enzokk wrote: »
    Here is the tweet in question,

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/1155424393700548609?s=20

So we do 90% of our trade with the UK now apparently. And it will just be a matter of time before those German car makers jump in, I know they have said everything to the contrary but just wait until they realize Johnson is serious. Then they will act.

Whiff of gammon off him.

Irish trade, Northern France, German cars - Brexiters going around in circles.

Here is some light relief I saw one some headcases twitter :

(He was blaming the Remain side)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1097007/spain-british-warships-contract-plymouth-portsmouth-gibraltar

Strazdas wrote: »
    UK at far greater risk in such a scenario. The Single Market would still be functioning as normal : Germany is bordered by nine countries for example (none of whom are the UK)

I think you underestimate the financial markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Please enlighten us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

trellheim wrote: »
    Sorry missed the last few pages but Priti Patel is beginning to ramp up the rhetoric on immigration in her Mail on Sunday interview

This reinforces my view she was put in as a bogeyman .... hats off to Cummings here its a belter of a plan . I can only wait for the isolation of little old Ireland when a reasonable offer from the uk or whatever comes over ... that has to be the plan I cant see any alternative

remains to be seen you folks know I'm a cynic but lets see what comes out

I’m going into a betting shop for the first time In my life tomorrow.
    Can you with your considerable foresight let me know exactly what day or moment the Eu are going to ‘blink’ and this isolation of Ireland happens? I need a holiday.

Given your frankly ridiculous takes on brexit so far I reckon on balance the clock could possibly agree with your version of time and it’s worth a score.

My dms are open if you don’t want to affect the odds of your safe bet certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Ruth Davidson sticking it to Boris by telling him she will not support no-deal Brexit.

Davidson is hugely popular and I doubt this is going down well in the Boris camp. Double trouble waiting for him when he visits Scotland next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/28/support-no-deal-brexit-scottish-ruth-davidson-boris-johnson

I’m going into a betting shop for the first time In my life tomorrow.
    Can you with your considerable foresight let me know exactly what day or moment the Eu are going to ‘blink’ and this isolation of Ireland happens?

They won't blink, they can't whatever the consequences. Shame about the citizens like but there you go.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

They won't blink, they can't whatever the consequences. Shame about the citizens like but there you go.

Not even sure what that means but hello anyways.

Well Johnson plan wipes out the Tories in Scotland. It's a dozen seats down then at the start of a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Ruth Davidson sticking it to Boris by telling him she will not support no-deal Brexit.

Davidson is hugely popular and I doubt this is going down well in the Boris camp. Double trouble waiting for him when he visits Scotland next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/28/support-no-deal-brexit-scottish-ruth-davidson-boris-johnson

She hates Boris as well so I suspect Boris as PM will go down like a lead ballon in Scotland where the Tories will lose their seats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I think you overestimate the London based financial markets.

Capital and talent are highly mobile.

Fragmentation of The City around EU capitals would be a no deal dividend for the EU.

Not even sure what that means but hello anyways.

It means the EU will not blink regardless of what the outcome will be.

- Camille Paglia

Even if No Deal was causing all sorts of problems, the Single Market would still be operating as normal with all borders open between the 27 states.

The one exception would be the UK which would have no trade deal with any SM country and would be at serious risk of ports and airports having to close.

Whilst the ports issues kick in immediately, a lot of others seem to come to a crunch at the end of the year, in the event of a No Deal.
    One country that certainly won't be accommodating, is France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's incredulous that someone could be so wrong about something so freely in the public domain.

90% of our exports go to the UK!?

Where was that sourced from? Some Victorian journal?

Idiotic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement