Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The government shouldn't be rising to the bait(it's low level stuff)...let the EU appointed negotiators do the talking.

The government should be ignoring it but Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail should be reiterating continuously their support for FG's stance as well as explaining to the electorate what the brit's are attempting to do with their new massive wave of propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These idiots need a good hard “no deal” with all the trimmings ie massive separate queues at airports for UK passport holders, VISA bureaucracy and every kind of disadvantage a third party non deal third country would face. Absolutely no compromise until they want to talk- of not then so be it. European trade will adapt fairly quickly and we will all move on with our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sterling just short of a one year high - 29th Aug 2018 had a blip of 90.08p - now it is at 90.06p.

Market moving towards pricing in No Deal.

a one year high or one year low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

VinLieger wrote: »
    The government should be ignoring it but Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail should be reiterating continuously their support for FG's stance as well as explaining to the electorate what the brit's are attempting to do with their new massive wave of propaganda

I've a feeling the parties here will all be stupid enough to take the bait. The British and American parties have been and I doubt we will be much better. Someone's just hunting around for the cracks and the trigger topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Strazdas wrote: »
    Lots of claims on Twitter today that the British electorate voted for No Deal in 2016. This hard Brexit crowd are really hijacking the narrative

Not surprising when a supposedly broadsheet publication has put up headlines such as these in the past 2 days ...

'It is democratic sabotage to oppose a no deal'

or

'Varadkar can blame Britain all he likes - but he is the real threat to peace'

I don't know which is more worrying, if the nitwit english 'journalists' are stupid enough to believe this drivel, or they're devious enough to know it's b***ox yet still pump it out for their non-resident tax dodging owners...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the first crack is Johnson contradicting what Gove said yesterday. Gove said No Deal was likely but Johnson says today it's a million to one shot. What, with Raab caught in the headlights on ITV.
    Cummings is going to have a hard job keeping them all, on message. They're already shooting off in all directions. Like herding a flock of turkeys.

Water John wrote: »
    Well the first crack is Johnson contradicting what Gove said yesterday. Gove said No Deal was likely but Johnson says today it's a million to one shot. What, with Raab caught in the headlights on ITV.
    Cummings is going to have a hard job keeping them all, on message. They're already shooting off in all directions. Like herding a flock of turkeys.

How could it be a million to one? Im only dipping in and out of this farce and can’t see anything other than No deal especially with their carry on the past
    Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it just goes along with the rest of Aleaxander Johnson's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Until these Brits cant go on their cheap holidays to the costas, eat cheap food and feel it in the pocket they will allow their nationalistic emotion get the better of them.

They need to be shown what the EU gives them.

EU should pull the plug early. Agreeing 31 October has given Boris time to ramp up the rhetoric and us bersus them propaganda.

Until these Brits cant go on their cheap holidays to the costas, eat cheap food and feel it in the pocket they will allow their nationalistic emotion get the better of them.

EU should pull the plug early. Agreeing 31 October has given Boris time to ramp up the rhetoric and us bersus them propaganda.

Yep- if he so badly wants to reopen the agreement then the leaving date is also up for alterations ie end August
    Why wait til end October now to suit a no deal? If it’s happening let it happen immediately

• Advertisement

Spot on. Until the cold hard reality of no deal are felt on the ground then it’s going to be the same farce as the past 3 years- I honestly think some of them seem to think brexit has already happened and it’s all good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

road_high wrote: »
    How could it be a million to one? Im only dipping in and out of this farce and can’t see anything other than No deal especially with their carry on the past
    Week.

I cant wait to see what happens when the HoC votes (again) against a no-deal. How is Johnson supposed to square that conundrum?

Although I can a general election coming first!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep- if he so badly wants to reopen the agreement then the leaving date is also up for alterations ie end August
    Why wait til end October now to suit a no deal? If it’s happening let it happen immediately

Whilst I completely understand the need to just get on with it and tell the UK to go stuff themselves, please remember that the UK population are people too and most don't want any of this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I cant wait to see what happens when the HoC votes (again) against a no-deal. How is Johnson supposed to square that conundrum?

Yip, you have answered your own question!

All the bull**** bluster now, in my opinion, is simply part of a (yet to be called) GE campaign.

robinph wrote: »
    Whilst I completely understand the need to just get on with it and tell the UK to go stuff themselves, please remember that the UK population are people too and most don't want any of this.

Do they not? Roughly 50% of them are voting for it.
    The internal politics of the Uk is of no interest to me or any other European so TS basically

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They have been given 3 separate occassions to democratically make their voices heard. They have failed. They voted for BRexit, they voted for parties that promised to deliver Brexit and they voted in the BP in the recent EU elections based on Hard Brexit.

At least the 37% that bothered to turn up to vote did.

So whilst they may well be plenty of people opposed to it, they simply are not that worried about to actually do anything about it in large enough numbers to make a difference.

The polls have a bounce for the Tories since Johnson became leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont think anyone is thinking otherwise, But until that same population get a hold on what their government is doing. External parties can do nothing.

The long and short of it is that there is a narrative going around that the EU is holding them in. In fact they could leave tomorrow. The EU needs to start countering that narrative and tell them they can leave tomorrow if they want.

We will then see what the will of the people is.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Which is a problem because the people do want it as shown by the vote. Hopefully Boris can get it over the line so we can all move on.

I can see an election being an even more hard Brexit outcome and nothing else. Too many of them want to leave (and of course keep all
    benefits) so so be it

Which is a problem because the people do want it as shown by the vote. Hopefully Boris can get it over the line so we can all move on.

Exactly. They’ve had ample oops to reject Brexit but I’ve seen nothing of the sort. It’s what they want - let them have it with all the trimmings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Commons needs to actually vote FOR something this time though. Voting against no deal at this stage is meaningless. They need to either agree to call a GE so the EU will grant an extension, a People's Vote for the same reason or withdraw Article 50.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I can see an election being an even more hard Brexit outcome and nothing else. Too many of them want to leave (and of course keep all
    benefits) so so be it

This is a very important point. I don't think people here really understand the strength of feeling in the UK over getting on with leaving. It's one the reasons the 2nd referendum mantra has fallen out of the headlines as the leave vote would more than likely come out stronger again.

The UK needs to leave hard or soft by the end of October that's the bottom line. No general election, no nonsense "people's vote" just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The interest of the member state comes first according to the Co-Chair of the European Council on Foreign Relations

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1155749912988016641

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They have been given 3 separate occassions to democratically make their voices heard. They have failed. They voted for BRexit, they voted for parties that promised to deliver Brexit and they voted in the BP in the recent EU elections based on Hard Brexit.

At least the 37% that bothered to turn up to vote did.

So whilst they may well be plenty of people opposed to it, they simply are not that worried about to actually do anything about it in large enough numbers to make a difference.

The polls have a bounce for the Tories since Johnson became leader!

But polls are showing that if Labour dumped Corbyn, it would be a dead cat bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There will be a deal with the US, I think I recall seeing that Australia were ready for a deal as soon as the UK exits.

I am four pages behind, so apologies if this has already been addressed, but I seem to recall from sometime ago that the Australians said that they would wait to see what shape any UK/EU trade arrangements took before considering entering into any notional uture trade deals. A sentiment that I recall generally being echoed by other nations too.

listermint wrote: »
    I dont think anyone is thinking otherwise, But until that same population get a hold on what their government is doing. External parties can do nothing.

The long and short of it is that there is a narrative going around that the EU is holding them in. In fact they could leave tomorrow. The EU needs to start countering that narrative and tell them they can leave tomorrow if they want.

We will then see what the will of the people is.............

Exactly- should clarify that immediately- so why wait until end October. Just go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The interest of the member state comes first according to the Co-Chair of the European Council on Foreign Relations

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1155749912988016641

Yes, the idea that the EU would throw an existing member state under the bus in favour of a departing one was always fanciful. Only a Brexiteer could believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

This. Also Boris will get carried away, if he's not doing so already, and will shoot himself in the foot with his nasty attacks on Ireland and the EU. He can't cherry pick what s***e he wants the public to swallow, and many are of Irish descent or Irish/EU. It just smacks of desperation because team Boris have no fresh ideas on how to deliver brexit and it is going to become very clear to everyone soon enough. His xenophobic sh!te is going to come back to bite him on the bum. May didn't stoop to this level.. he is some cretin.

And his odd ball team can not hide behind lies, blame and bluster for long and will start to show the strain and fail to stick to the Cummings script.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lawred2 wrote: »
    a one year high or one year low?

The Euro is at a one year high vs GBP. Sorry if I misled. May 5th 2019, the Euro was 85p, while today it is actually at a near 2 year high - Sep 14th 2017 it was higher than now. Now - 0.90846 GBP = €1, sept 11th 2017 it was 0.9108, a five year high when €1 would get GBP 0.9225p on 24th Aug 2017.

It looks like GBP is tanking already.

In just under 3 months, it has lost 9.5 % - that is some devaluation.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, the idea that the EU would throw an existing member state under the bus in favour of a departing one was always fanciful. Only a Brexiteer could believe that.

But the British are so important don’t you know? Everyone will bend over backwards to accommodate them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement