Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has no 10 refused to pay it's phone bill and got cut off? Very strange behavior for the new PM to be maintaining radio silence with Ireland at a time like this. You'd nearly think it was quite deliberate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boris is offering £300m to be split between Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland.

Peanuts, in the real world they get more than a billion a week .

In 2015, Northern Ireland was allocated £11bn under the Barnett formula; Wales was allocated £15bn and Scotland was allocated about £30bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has no 10 refused to pay it's phone bill and got cut off? Very strange behavior for the new PM to be maintaining radio silence with Ireland at a time like this. You'd nearly think it was quite deliberate.

I don't think we should lose too much sleep- what is talking to Bojo going to really achieve anyhow, no point sweating over it and making it into something bigger than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looks like the two leaders of Britain and Ireland will finally get to chat before the week is out...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/moves-under-way-to-arrange-first-varadkar-johnson-call-1.3970863

Wouldnt you love to be a fly on the wall listening into this but I suspect it will be the shortest phone cause between 2 leaders

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more West Brit stuff please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Boris is offering £300m to be split between Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland.

Peanuts, in the real world they get more than a billion a week .

In 2015, Northern Ireland was allocated £11bn under the Barnett formula; Wales was allocated £15bn and Scotland was allocated about £30bn.

Jaysus, when i saw that £300m figure earlier, i assumed it was £300m each and even at that, i thought it sounded a pittance. I have to struggle to think that these jokers are actually serious about what they're doing, surely its all an elaborate joke, the kind these guys would have deemed hilarious back in oxbridge. Johnson sacking an ally of Ruth Davidsons from the cabinet in revenge for her backing hunt, when it is only thanks to her the tories werent wiped out in scotland at the last election, is just mind boggling pettiness. I still dont see any coherent, well thought out plan whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ongoing straw in the wind. Odds on no deal Brexit continue to tumble. Down to 5/4 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I have to struggle to think that these jokers are actually serious about what they're doing, surely its all an elaborate joke, the kind these guys would have deemed hilarious back in oxbridge.
    That's it - and these jokers are now in charge of the asylum. Cue much merriment and japes, my friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There were commentators on twitter issuing warnings for the Irish people to stick together as a news-media wedging project was imminent in the wake of Boris' fake push-back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing more insulting than a useless promise. 300m is about what Falcon Real Estate are planning to spend in Waterford (pop 45,000) on a couple of retail clusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The 300m is a joke when you look at the billion bribe the DUP got to prop the Torres up..

Not my jurisdiction, but is there any audit as to how the DUP sweetener money is or will be spent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There were commentators on twitter issuing warnings for the Irish people to stick together as a news-media wedging project was imminent in the wake of Boris' fake push-back.

The attempt to wedge is blatantly apparent. Thing is it displays yet again a lack of understanding of the Irish by Brits generally but especially whoever is pushing the buttons on it.
    Even the ordinary dub or galwegian in the street who isnt engaged in brexit as many here are, would read it as the Brits trying to bully us again.
    I just can’t see it getting any traction here. Quite the opposite. It would have the opposite of the intended effect.

*any links to any his warning? Would love to read how It’s being worded

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ongoing straw in the wind. Odds on no deal Brexit continue to tumble. Down to 5/4 today.

With all the rhetoric from Johnson and Raab today, it's not a surprise

The 300m is a joke when you look at the billion bribe the DUP got to prop the Torres up..

Not my jurisdiction, but is there any audit as to how the DUP sweetener money is or will be spent?

Someone somewhere in the UK soon will ask that question for real and hopefully the enquiry takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

It will be one way traffic with cars rolling off the boats before Oct 31st, if this weakness is sustained.

192 might not be a great year for the motor garages

It's the same garages that are buying the second hand cars in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has it actually been handed over yet?

Can understand why the odds on no deal are shortening, but personally while very concerned, i remain as relaxed as can be about it. It's still by some way not the will of the people and i dont see that changing in the coming weeks and months. I dont believe the british electorate will respond well to the ratcheting up of the rhetoric, all this "war cabinet" and "turbocharging" talk, it is extreme and i think they are grievously miscalculating the situation. That will repel a lot more people than it will attract. In my opinion anyway.

The problem is, of course, parliamentary procedure. They will have to find a way, but i think the momentum will be behind them to do it. My money is on a second referendum at an attractive looking 15/2. Thats the value bet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

*any links to any his warning? Would love to read how It’s being worded

https://twitter.com/Think32_/status/1155598731221307393

486682.png

Has it actually been handed over yet?

Does anyone know this? Do you?

I’m more concerned about who decides how it is spent TBH.

Does anyone know this? Do you?

I’m more concerned about who decides how it is spent TBH.

I don't know, last I heard it wasn't. (4 or 5 months ago)

And at the time it was said that it is for the Executive to spend, not the DUP handing out sweeties.

• Advertisement

-*removing this link as it seems to go against forum rules but go look up John Oliver’s take down of Boris.

It’s hysterical and surgical. It’s on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don’t sense any wide public panic over this or any major fear of a no deal. There are naturally anxieties and concerns mixed with apathy and exasperation. Certainly not anything that will suddenly make Varadkar and co change tack and bow down to the UK on this. Once again the British (English) over blowing their sense of importance to Irish sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

KildareP wrote: »
    True that!

I'm just waiting for the moment of realisation that Trump will be approaching this entirely with his/America's interests to the fore, not the UK's... It's going to be something to behold.

Trump (and more importantly, his backers) are more anti-EI then pro-Brexit. What are the chances of throwing the UK a bone in order to promote further Euroscepticism in the remaining EU? A reasonable FTA might do that.

We're all so sure the US is going to walk all over the UK in trade negotiations, but these guys (again, not Trump himself) are playing a very long game. They might be willing to sacrifice a quick win and maybe leave the NHS alone and keep the chlorinated chicken off the menu for now?

Most of the nonsense is not aimed at the Irish at all, but at the Brexit faithful / disciples. It's about creating a narrative that Brexiteers are completely blameless for No Deal and the fault lies with the Irish, the French, the Germans etc (which is why the targets keep shifting every week).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Jesus I heard owen Harris on my way home from work.. Absolutely boris Johnson's right hand man.. I find it hard to believe that I would be defending leo and Simon but by his radio dictatorship speech leo and all the citizens of the 26 countries should be bending backwards to facilitate mr Boris.. a lot of stupid and damaging statements made by a very frightened sounding owen Harris. Who also clearly stated during the interview that he had not spoken about Brexit in public in the past.. well if I were him I would have given the radio airtime today a skip.. very stupid comments by a stupid individual..
    And damaging at minimum..at least the female politician that spoke immediately after he had finished spreading slurry on all his colleagues actually did a good job at damage limitation..

I don't know, last I heard it wasn't. (4 or 5 months ago)

And at the time it was said that it is for the Executive to spend, not the DUP handing out sweeties.

But there is no Executive in place in NI at the moment.

I’d love to know who is in charge of this billion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Strazdas wrote: »
    Most of the nonsense is not aimed at the Irish at all, but at the Brexit faithful / disciples. It's about creating a narrative that Brexiteers are completely blameless for No Deal and the fault lies with the Irish, the French, the Germans etc (which is why the targets keep shifting every week).

Agree, but don't underestimate just how thick the British are and don't overestimate just how important and powerful they think they are.

Do they seriously think the Daily Telegraph is read in Ireland? Probably.

Are there many in the Irish media deferent to Britain? Yes.

Sorry about this but just had to share this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cj9c96/this_guy_has_a_plan_to_get_brexit_sorted/

The 52% (the first to use terrorism, the first to whinge about terrorism)

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Jesus I heard owen Harris on my way home from work.. Absolutely boris Johnson's right hand man.. I find it hard to believe that I would be defending leo and Simon but by his radio dictatorship speech leo and all the citizens of the 26 countries should be bending backwards to facilitate mr Boris.. a lot of stupid and damaging statements made by a very frightened sounding owen Harris. Who also clearly stated during the interview that he had not spoken about Brexit in public in the past.. well if I were him I would have given the radio airtime today a skip.. very stupid comments by a current TD ..
    And damaging at minimum..at least the female politician that spoke immediately after he had finished spreading slurry on all his colleagues actually did a good job at damage limitation..

He's not a TD...he's an opinion journalist. A Joe Brolly/Eamonn Dunphy style professional controversialist.

Havent read or listened to a word Eoghan Harris has written or uttered for at least 5 years. Its hard for an opinion man to stay relevant in a world when attention spans are shrivelling to almost nothing. I bet any money the phrases "good politics" or its first cousin "bad politics" were liberally sprinkled throughout the discourse.

• Advertisement

Agree, but don't underestimate just how thick the British are and don't overestimate just how important and powerful they think they are.

Do they seriously think the Daily Telegraph is read in Ireland? Probably.

Are there many in the Irish media deferent to Britain? Yes.

Sorry about this but just had to share this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cj9c96/this_guy_has_a_plan_to_get_brexit_sorted/

The 52% (the first to use terrorism, the first to whinge about terrorism)

Don't get me wrong, the "Brexit disciples" to whom I refer and who are ranting daily on social media genuinely don't like Ireland (or Scotland)

But for Nick Timothy and all the other right wing commentators, it's all about creating a narrative that Brexiteers are blameless if and when No Deal happens. Everything they say is aimed at the disciples, not at the Irish or the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement