Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I know I'm repeating myself but Bruce Arnold is another anti-Irish nobody who was sprung on us by the Irish establishment media/RTÉ/Irish Times/Tony O'Reilly - whose only talent is to act as a 19th century British caricature.

á la Kevin Myers, Eoghan Harris,

Up until Brexit the likes of FG would have been fellow travellers of them when they were useful to chastise and harass northern nationalists.

Remember they were hired and paid by Irish owned newspapers.

In some way, he and his ilk are a Frankentein of the Irish media.

(By the way, the only "ancient friends" thing is a patronising act - they're well aware they're thought of as pr1cks as they whinge about us not supporting their national soccer team, it's a delusion)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Amazon have data centres larger than football fields all over Dublin.
    Don’t think It would cost them all that much to relocate. If they aren’t working on it already.

A couple of months back I bought a laptop charger from a UK company on Amazon. They sent me two by mistake and when I downloaded the label to return, the address was to Amazon Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jm08 wrote: »
    A couple of months back I bought a laptop charger from a UK company on Amazon. They sent me two by mistake and when I downloaded the label to return, the address was to Amazon Tallaght.
    That's a data centre. I imagine they use it as a kind of waystation to aggregate parcels going back to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Thank goodness it is paywalled. Anyone who refers to 'Little Old Ireland' and claims to be British but has lived here for sixty years - well, that says it all. Truly a guest in this country - but an unwelcome and ungrateful one.

I think that kind of trash is par for the course in the Daily Telegraph - the anti Irish propaganda is in full flow.

Someone once commented that the paywall on The Telegraph and the way the text fades out reminds them of walking away from a drunk in the pub who is rambling away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I passed that Center every day on a course I did last month.
    It’s astonishing how big it is.
    I was under the illusion there was a limit to the size a warehouse structure could be here, remembering IKEAS difficulty setting up here.

The amazon Center is easily the biggest structure of that kind I’ve ever seen.

• Advertisement

Is Bannon balls deep with all the bad actors behind the scenes in this mess or what’s happening here? Why would they even interview him?

https://twitter.com/bbcr4today/status/1156490377647595525?s=21

The BBC is having a mare the past couple of years. I don't doubt they mean well but their balance and who they interview is beyond crazy. Dont even start me on Question Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A despicable article by Bruce Arnold in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/31/bought-brussels-little-irelands-ridiculous-leaders-have-landed/

Didn't Haughey once call Arnold "a guest here"? Indeed.

It seems the Telegraph are actively canvassing for articles from columnists attacking Varadkar and the Irish Govt. It's quite systematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was under the illusion there was a limit to the size a warehouse structure could be here, remembering IKEAS difficulty setting up here.

It's not that much bigger than IKEA. Rough calculation from Google Earth tells me that IKEA is 5 acres and Amazon is about 6. Still bloody massive structures and I think IKEA is bigger because it has more floors (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not that much bigger than IKEA. Rough calculation from Google Earth tells me that IKEA is 5 acres and Amazon is about 6. Still bloody massive structures and I think IKEA is bigger because it has more floors (I think).

Ikea's biggest problem when opening here wasn't so much size but the fact that it would generate so so so much traffic in the area and on the m50.

A data centre doesn't have that so much as an issue.

• Advertisement

I was thinking is it cos it’s black? The Ikea one is blue.
    Plus the Amazon one is surrounded by fencing you can’t even see through. Probably just made me think it’s a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, that limit was for a retail store, to try and stop big-box stores killing smaller businesses.

A data centre is not retail, the limits do not apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a data centre. I imagine they use it as a kind of waystation to aggregate parcels going back to the UK.

Ikea's biggest problem when opening here wasn't so much size but the fact that it would generate so so so much traffic in the area and on the m50.

A data centre doesn't have that so much as an issue.
    I was thinking is it cos it’s black? The Ikea one is blue.
    Plus the Amazon one is surrounded by fencing you can’t even see through. Probably just made me think it’s a lot bigger.
    No, that limit was for a retail store, to try and stop big-box stores killing smaller businesses.

A data centre is not retail, the limits do not apply.

Mod: Let's leave this discussion at that please. It's getting off-topic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The BBC is having a mare the past couple of years. I don't doubt they mean well but their balance and who they interview is beyond crazy. Dont even start me on Question Time.

Strangely though, I think they may be doing people a favour giving this nut a platform and linking No Deal to Trump and himself. Many people in Britain are deeply wary of Bannon and think he is a wrong 'un.....such an intervention could backfire on the hard Brexiteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

These are who Frost is meeting over two days.
    'He will meet Clara Martinez Alberola, the head of cabinet for the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker; Stéphanie Riso, a senior official in Michel Barnier’s negotiations taskforce who was a key player in drafting the terms of the backstop, and Ilze Juhansone, the deputy secretary general at the commission.' Guardian

I'd say all that needs to be said should take about 30 minutes.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Strangely though, I think they may be doing people a favour giving this nut a platform and linking No Deal to Trump and himself. Many people in Britain are deeply wary of Bannon and think he is a wrong 'un.....such an intervention could backfire on the hard Brexiteers.

Yeah that's a decent point! Hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pounds on its way back up, looks to have been the trend over the past few months that it drops at the beginning of the week and claws its way partially back from mid to endweek.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VinLieger wrote: »
    Pounds on its way back up, looks to have been the trend over the past few months that it drops at the beginning of the week and claws its way partially back from mid to endweek.
    I think that its recently been a case of three steps backward and one forward. It is clearly on a downward decline.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's noticeable in the framing of commentary, more in omission than inclusion.

I caught some of the main news on BBC yesterday and there was an update from their "Irish Correspondent" from outside Stormont discussing what Boris Johnson was up to.

In it she talked about the negative impact on a No-Deal Brexit on the Republic of Ireland - Loss of GDP , up to 30k lost jobs etc. but not one single word on the devastating impacts to NI.

To the un-informed , it sounded like all the risks were south of the border.

What they are saying is broadly accurate. It's what they are not saying is the big problem from my viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I think that its recently been a case of three steps backward and one forward. It is clearly on a downward decline.

Yup. You have to watch the trend, not the fluctuations. The day-to-day trades and speculation causes a flicker up and down, but the general trend is very definitely downwards and has been for months.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the currency markets aren't all-knowing anymore than anyone else is. They're just reacting to perceptions of risk or where they can make a few coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

All the coverage at the moment seems to be based on Ireland and how we are being the big bad wolf causing the UK to head towards a no deal..
    The rhetoric from Arlene and co. assigns the blame clearly to Ireland..

I suspect Cummings is all over this as it reminds me of the use of the £350 million bus and the "take back control" slogan which effectively derailed all discussion of other Brexit outcomes and won them the vote..

It's quite fascinating but also scary as no UK media seems interested in dissecting the issues and Irish media are heading that way too..

Lately it seems to be all focused on individuals who are allowed put their views forward without being challenged on iy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

serfboard wrote: »
    The thing is, the above is true to the extent that the British think about Northern Ireland at all. The problem is - they don't. Witness the extent that the foreseeable problem that the border was going to be was discussed before the referendum - not at all, and not even raised by journalists who should have known better. They simply "forgot" about NI during the referendum - and for a long time beforehand.

Reminding me of that great interview of Sammy Wilson conducted by Ali G in Belfast:

Ali G: Is you Irish?
    Sammy: No, I'm British.
    Ali G: So is you 'ere on 'oliday? :D

Ever try spending NI sterling notes on the mainland? a lot of places won’t accept it and most say wtf is that?? Very reluctantly might take it.
    They’d trust euros ahead of NI sterling.

Good thread on what we’ve all been saying but now Becoming apparent in the conversation. The only sensible solution available is a NI only backstop

A point well made in this thread that the DUP and unionism in general has and always will kick up a stink and say No! No! No! Ok then. And the comply

Seems to be just a matter of how much their compliance is going to cost the UK. Or was after dinner last night fraught with tension and Johnson’s going to move to dump them and hold an election?

https://twitter.com/marycmurphy/status/1156490784553803776?s=21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

20silkcut wrote: »
    Ever try spending NI sterling notes on the mainland? a lot of places won’t accept it and most say wtf is that?? Very reluctantly might take it.

Not really anything odd about that. If Cork had their own designs of Euros and had released 10 different versions of the 5Euro note would you expect anyone in Berlin to have any idea what the fake looking notes that you were handing them were?

Take them to a bank and they will accept them fine, alternatively stick them in one of the supermarket automated tills and they accept the full range of the NI and Scottish notes no problem. Just don't expect the average shop assistant to be able to recognise the multitude of different designs from banks they have never even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Any one what happened to the David Trimble proposed court case against the backstop?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any one what happened to the David Trimble proposed court case against the backstop?
    As we reported earlier, having been definitively advised that as things stood our case was not justiciable and could not be until after the signing of a Withdrawal Agreement, we opted for now to go down the political path
    Belfast Agreement Defence Group
    March 28, 2019
    https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/judicial-review-of-irish-backstop/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yup. You have to watch the trend, not the fluctuations. The day-to-day trades and speculation causes a flicker up and down, but the general trend is very definitely downwards and has been for months.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the currency markets aren't all-knowing anymore than anyone else is. They're just reacting to perceptions of risk or where they can make a few coins.
    Sterling was probably oversold in the last day or two. The other thing to note is that currency volumes are generally much lower in July and August which gives ride to a volatile price.

Another thing to not is that the past few intraday lows have all occurred in the middle of the UK night, when volumes are even thinner again.

While there is no doubt that Sterling is in the slide, the panic hasn't set in yet. That will be at conference season.

I wonder will we see anyone with a head of sense realising that if there isn’t a border in place, or maybe even if there is, NI will be a backdoor for illegal immigrants using Ireland to scoot through over to the UK?

Haven’t seen that mentioned in all this.

And wasn’t ‘take back control of our borders!’ One of the rallying cries in this?
    It seems to have polarised into ‘were Not putting up any border!’

Pure insanity.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-brexit-side-deals-no-deal_uk_5d41922ee4b0db8affb16033

The latest on UK governments strategy. Unreal. They continue to try and split the EU and are now looking for side deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's noticeable in the framing of commentary, more in omission than inclusion.

I caught some of the main news on BBC yesterday and there was an update from their "Irish Correspondent" from outside Stormont discussing what Boris Johnson was up to.

In it she talked about the negative impact on a No-Deal Brexit on the Republic of Ireland - Loss of GDP , up to 30k lost jobs etc. but not one single word on the devastating impacts to NI.

To the un-informed , it sounded like all the risks were south of the border.

What they are saying is broadly accurate. It's what they are not saying is the big problem from my viewpoint.

If it's Emma Vardy the "Ireland" correspondent, she's a dim-witted young one who claims to be an expert on "terrorism, the middle East, etc".

A London bus driver could sooner be eligible to be Ireland correspondent than her.

She has zero qualification and has probably never been to the North beforehand or even Ireland.

She tried making a name for herself "bravely" doorstepping Lyra McKee's killers, but is accused of being a unionist.

Apparently her boyfriend is an Orangeman and bigot.

Just shows how much the BBC care about the North, that they won't even hire an actual NI correspondent, instead of some English non-entity as a nixer.

BTW, the BBC are not balanced, never were.

They tow the national line always.

Channel 4 are more likely not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement