Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I wonder will we see anyone with a head of sense realising that if there isn’t a border in place, or maybe even if there is, NI will be a backdoor for illegal immigrants using Ireland to scoot through over to the UK?

They never had any plans to police the border for immigrants because of the CTA. They plan to make UK landlords and employers into unofficial immigration officials with a duty to check papieren bitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/TeleComment/status/1156535626172436482?s=20

It has gotten to very condescending levels towards Ireland in the Telegraph lately.
    Why are people pushing for a no deal Brexit if it is so bad. Maybe that should be the question, there would be no need to look for the wrong people to blame if it was all going to be so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TeleComment/status/1156535626172436482?s=20

It has gotten to very condescending levels towards Ireland in the Telegraph lately.
    Why are people pushing for a no deal Brexit if it is so bad. Maybe that should be the question, there would be no need to look for the wrong people to blame if it was all going to be so good.

I clicked that tweet to see the comments...I regret my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Laughable reporting from someone inside the Brexit bubble:
    But negotiations are locked in stalemate, with Johnson refusing to sit down with EU leaders unless they agree to reopen the withdrawal agreement, an idea which Brussels has rejected.

Negotiations are not locked in stalemate, negotiations are over. The extension he is currently wasting with all this bluffery explicitly rules out renegotiating the WA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I swear there is a decade of books to be written about the mentality of Brexiteers. The cult like thinking of a group of people who have gone swivel eyed.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1156587804849254401

• Advertisement

It's like the crisis of the third century on a short time frame. Remarkable to watch when a few years ago, I'd have considered Europe to be politically grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Farage on LBC now the topic is a reunited Ireland.

Popcorn. There isn’t enough.

Farage now asking should Johnson offer a border poll in order to deliver brexit.

There’s that seed planted in all his minions little minds. I expect to see this clamour to become a roar now.

One NI journalist on saying moderate unionists are now talking about it as they want to stay in the EU

Some associate of Trimble saying it would mean the extinction of unionists in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I swear there is a decade of books to be written about the mentality of Brexiteers. The cult like thinking of a group of people who have gone swivel eyed.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1156587804849254401

Christopher Hope📝

@christopherhope
    A friend sends me a text asking: “Why does the BBC say the ‘risk’ of no deal instead of the ‘opportunity’ of no deal?”
    Anyone got an answer for him?#Brexit

4:29 PM - Jul 31, 2019

Yes, I have an answer. People tend very much to use opportunity to describe a situation where somebody is taking a risk but one with a very definite reward in mind - for example, giving up your job and home to emigrate to the other side of the world for a better job and more promotion prospects. That's the opportunity of emigration, you might say. If, on the other hand, you give up your home and job to emigrate to the other side of the world with no specific job opportunity, that might more accurately be described as the risk of emigration. A no deal brexit clearly belongs to the second category imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/31/leo-varadkar-media-telegraph-sun-irish-taoiseach-brexit

Good article in guardian on media campaign against Ireland.

100% this orchestrated and very obvious last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gintonious wrote: »
    I clicked that tweet to see the comments...I regret my decision.

One of the comments has a pastebin of the article if you don't want to reward the Telegraph with a click for this nonsense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Farage now asking should Johnson offer a border poll in order to deliver brexit.

There’s that seed planted in all his minions little minds. I expect to see this clamour to become a roar now.

One NI journalist on saying moderate unionists are now talking about it as they want to stay in the EU

Some associate of Trimble saying it would mean the extinction of unionists in NI.

If only.

If only that included all bigots in NI.

By off-loading NI and then being able to deliver a Brexit deal, that's a win win for Boris.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

By off-loading NI and then being able to deliver a Brexit deal, that's a win win for Boris.

And a win win for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

He won't be off-loading it for free. There are decades of reparations to pay.

And a win win for NI.
    I would suspect that NI could be in for a lot of strife if GB off-loads them!
    A huge number of UK civil servant jobs for starters that a UI could never replace, assuming that NI actually votes to unify.

isohon wrote: »
    He won't be off-loading it for free. There are decades of reparations to pay.
    Off-loading the costs of running NI would be a big win for GB.
    As well as trying to manage a province where a large percentage of the population hate their opposite numbers that they simply won't co-operate on anything, they can't even form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Undoubtedly, but under no circumstances should (and I guess) would it be acceptable to either the Irish Government, or the other co-guarantors of the GFA.

I would suspect that NI could be in for a lot of strife if GB off-loads them!
    A huge number of UK civil servant jobs for starters that a UI could never replace, assuming that NI actually votes to unify.

It would always depend on the settlement terms. Clearly, initially NI would continue as is, except that Dublin would replace Westminster. Funding would have to come from somewhere.

However, this is for discussion elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/31/leo-varadkar-media-telegraph-sun-irish-taoiseach-brexit

Good article in guardian on media campaign against Ireland.

100% this orchestrated and very obvious last few days.

Roy Greenslade providing a rather cooler analysis of the Tory press than the sweary rant I just went on to a pal.

Seriously, that Bruce Arnold Telegraph piece has me wound up - he should be denied service in any shop or bar he sets foot in in this country.

• Advertisement

As well as trying to manage a province where a large percentage of the population hate their opposite numbers that they simply won't co-operate on anything, they can't even form a government.

Just tonight on this Farage show you’re hearing the conversation shift into how much NI costs and let them go their own way with Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bloomberg: The British Pound Is Starting to Resemble Emerging-Market Currencies

Imagine what it will be like on the eve of a no-deal chaotic Brexit. They are so screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

I wonder will we see anyone with a head of sense realising that if there isn’t a border in place, or maybe even if there is, NI will be a backdoor for illegal immigrants using Ireland to scoot through over to the UK?

Haven’t seen that mentioned in all this.

And wasn’t ‘take back control of our borders!’ One of the rallying cries in this?
    It seems to have polarised into ‘were Not putting up any border!’

Pure insanity.
    Anyone up for a bit of crowdfunding?

We could start taking out ads offering fasttrack entry to the UK via Europe.
    Fly into Ireland and then head on up the open border via complementary shuttle bus and with no checks between NI and GB you won't be checked going over to the mainland either!
    First shuttle bus will arrive into NI 01/11/2019 00:01.

Might catch the attention of the UK public and throw a spanner into Cumming's managed messaging project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

There are several ways such a offloading could work.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a poll on Irish Unification, it could be a poll on the NI-only backstop for example.

Heck they could broaden the voting base on such a poll and let all the UK vote on NI backstop. It would pass and the DUP know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bloomberg: The British Pound Is Starting to Resemble Emerging-Market Currencies

Imagine what it will be like on the eve of a no-deal chaotic Brexit. They are so screwed.

Did you know an independent Scotland would not be able to support its own currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

BluePlanet wrote: »
    There are several ways such a offloading could work.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a poll on Irish Unification, it could be a poll on the NI-only backstop for example.

Heck they could broaden the voting base on such a poll and let all the UK vote on NI backstop. It would pass and the DUP know it.
    Can't see that happening as it would cause ruptions in Scotland, possibly Wales also.

Essentially it gives NI its own second public vote on Brexit.

KildareP wrote: »
    Can't see that happening as it would cause ruptions in Scotland, possibly Wales also.

Exactly why it won’t happen.

It’ll be border In the sea. Bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,395 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

‘Britain is a country that understands freedom and independence’ says a man from a country that is and will continue to block Scottish freedom and independence.
    Scotland had the opportunity in 2014 and said no. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eagle eye wrote: »
    Scotland had the opportunity in 2014 and said no. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
    ...and nothing significant has changed the political landscape since 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

KildareP wrote: »

This. I don't know much about Wales in all the turmoil of Brexit as they are rarely mentioned compared to Northern Ireland and Scotland. They (Wales) did vote to leave after all. But I do know this, Scotland want many of the provisions offered to Northern Ireland for themselves. You couldn't offer NI their own vote without Scotland demanding their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement