Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Arnold has previous form in this field . A decade ago he was a one-man hallelujah chorus for Declan Hanley and Libertas - another group on the "anti-democratic Brussels" bandwagon.

I'm surprised Ganley hasn't surfaced yet. Is he still living here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the rhetoric is bluster that doesnt even need to be acknowledged beyond the same logical factual responce to any of it. Theres a deal on the table, its the only one, either its accepted by Oct 31 or the UK reverts to a 3rd party country unless theres an election that prompts an additional extention to allow a new government or Brexit is rescinded via an A50 withdrawal.

This is the reality facing the UK if they crash out its by the choice of the British Government refusing to accept its responsibilities noones making then leave however if Boris and friends end up causing the UK to crash out its all on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

First Up wrote: »
    If there is a poll in Northern Ireland (and who knows, there might) there will be three two options;
    -Stay in the UK (outside the EU)
    -Merge with ROI (inside the EU)
    -Cede from the UK and become an independent country (and vote later on applying for EU membership)

I know which would win.

FYP.

The North only has 2 options as laid out by the GFA.

Independence isn't ever going to be an option and is the wet dream for a few unhinged Ulster Nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I think we are the way to a United Ireland bonnie, pictures of the queen have been removed from the northern ireland office

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Strazdas wrote: »
    Perhaps she should be asking why Britain is importing things such as fruit. It would never even occur to her that fruit grown in a warmer climate would be superior to the British variety.

I think that is just bananas. They should eat their own fruit - but only if they pick it themselves. That goes for coconuts, grapes, avocados, dates, etc.

I think that speech needs to get a raspberry response.

• Advertisement

FYP.

The North only has 2 options as laid out by the GFA.

Independence isn't ever going to be an option and is the wet dream for a few unhinged Ulster Nationalists.

A few partitionists beginning to talk about an Ind NI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

A few partitionists beginning to talk about an Ind NI too.

That may be, but the GFA spells out 2 options: continue the Union with Britain or a United Ireland.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    That may be, but the GFA spells out 2 options: continue the Union with Britain or a United Ireland.

Correct. I would dispute what Unionists and partitionists would say about it...it's ABUI - 'anything but a united Ireland' fear talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

First Up wrote: »
    If there is a poll in Northern Ireland (and who knows, there might) there will be three options;
    -Stay in the UK (outside the EU)
    -Merge with ROI (inside the EU)
    -Cede from the UK and become an independent country (and vote later on applying for EU membership)

I know which would win.

There will be two options, Stay in the UK or Unification with Ireland, and I don't know which will win.

There is no basis for a question on an independant NI and no support for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See from Newsnight that Gove was suggesting buying up the lamb that can't be exported, at a set price. However Newnight showed that cold storage is full. What a great plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jonathan Powell, former adviser to Tony Blair, did a great job on Newsnight spelling out the challenges facing NI and the only possible ways out of the mess. A breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,391 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imreoir2 wrote:
    There will be two options, Stay in the UK or Unification with Ireland, and I don't know which will win.
    There is no basis for a question on an independant NI and no support for it anyway.
    There should be a vote on whether to stay or leave only.
    Then if leave is the option there should be another one as to what's next.

Jonathan Powell, former adviser to Tony Blair, did a great job on Newsnight spelling out the challenges facing NI and the only possible ways out of the mess. A breath of fresh air.

Emily Mathlis is very good but you could see how she was really struggling with the 'identity' point.
    Maybe classes for the British on this might be no harm...'Karen Bradley sit at the front!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

eagle eye wrote: »

Why? That is not what the GFA sets out, and I don't see a good reason to tear up the peace agreement.

You mean, like the EU Referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jonathan Powell mounting a brilliant defence of the backstop on Newsnight. He went into great detail about precisely how a No Deal Brexit breaches the GFA

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1156684632848338944

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In order for that to happen you need to rip up the GFA and then get all political parties north and South to negotiate with a venal Tory government.

And I have no idea why any Nationalists would want to go down that road.

Your lack of understanding of the politics of these islands is truly breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jonathan Powell mounting a brilliant defence of the backstop on Newsnight. He went into great detail about precisely how a No Deal Brexit breaches the GFA

I bloody missed this

Anyone have a link to all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Powell was brilliant he should be on more often explaining the situation in ireland and no could say he doesn't know his stuff, he helped broker the GFA

Headshot wrote: »
    I bloody missed this

Anyone have a link to all of this?

Hopefully somebody puts it up. It was a fantastic interview.....the penny finally dropped with Emily M. (the interviewer) that NI can't leave the Single Market / Customs Union without breaching the GFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hopefully somebody puts it up. It was a fantastic interview.....the penny finally dropped with Emily M. (the interviewer) that NI can't leave the Single Market / Customs Union without breaching the GFA

I hope it's up here soon. Would like to watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

54&56 wrote: »
    You're not too up on current affairs there An Claidheamh, DOB sold out a few weeks ago and the SINDO is now owned by https://www.mediahuis.be.

Wow thank you, right you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

If anyone wants to risk an aneurysm, the full Bruce Arnold article is published here:

https://twitter.com/James_T_Higgins/status/1156689006257721344/photo/1

lawred2 wrote: »
    I hope it's up here soon. Would like to watch that.

Here's a slightly longer version where he talks about identity and the GFA :

https://twitter.com/nickhobson25/status/1156691301666041856

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yes, I think they said 500 million worth which would have gone to the EU and sold there without any problem.

Now they might freeze it only all the cold storage is full in the run up to Christmas but it might be possible to offload 2 percent for sale in Japan.

It's getting beyond a joke now at this stage.

Surely the farmers would prefer to have their lamb sold and actually consumed in the EU like it is now rather than almost all of it in storage before probably being made into dog food or disposed of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This judgement may undermine some future legal challenges to Brexit as the courts can declare laws are broken but can't fix them because
    Bill of Rights 1689 :rolleyes:

It was a case about how UK laws comply with the European Convention on Human Rights. (ECHR) It's a European Court of Human Rights thing not just an EU one.

Lack of data privacy is one of those things that the EU might decide does not meet Equivalence on EU Data Protection and so UK service companies may need work done by Boris & Co to sort out it in the new deal

UK High Court rules Snooper's Charter doesn't break Euro human rights laws
    "The higher courts have the power to declare primary legislation to be incompatible with the Convention rights but they have no power to strike it down or disapply it."
    The two judges also said that "requiring this Court to assess the quality of the reasoning given by ministers for what became the 2016 Act" was "not the proper functioning of the court", deciding to ignore all references to statements made by Conservative ministers in Parliament about what the act would and would not allow. This, they said in their judgment, was the right thing to do because the Bill of Rights 1689 states "proceedings in Parliament ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court".

Ben Done wrote: »
    If anyone wants to risk an aneurysm, the full Bruce Arnold article is published here:

https://twitter.com/James_T_Higgins/status/1156689006257721344/photo/1

He's trending on Twitter in Ireland btw! :)

I wonder if he fully thought through the consequences of writing such an article for that rag, given that he lives here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You’re in another thread saying Northern Ireland should be given independence.
    You said it seriously.

Please don’t expect anyone to take your nonsense seriously.
    You can keep posting but be warned you’re for comedy at this stage.

I presume Bruce Arnold is quite old. Like Conor Cruise O'Brien before, nobody will be paying heed any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Here's a slightly longer version where he talks about identity and the GFA :

https://twitter.com/nickhobson25/status/1156691301666041856

1:46 if you listen carefully you can hear an almighty clang as a great big penny finally drops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement