Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, I think they said 400 million worth which would have gone to the EU and sold there without any problem.

Now they might freeze it only all the cold storage is full in the run up to Christmas
    Thanks to stockpiling for the original Brexit date most of the warehouses have been full for a while.

So there is no room for Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/21/uk-warehouse-space-nears-capacity-firms-stockpile-for-brexit
    Three-quarters of UK warehouse owners say their space is full to capacity and storage costs have soared by up to 25% in the past three months after a surge in Brexit-related inquiries.

Tesco has rented frozen food containers outside its largest stores for the rest of this year. It normally only uses the containers to cover high demand over Christmas.
    he said it was much more difficult for food companies to stockpile because of their products’ shorter shelf life and lower prices. “It costs the same price to store a pallet load of crisps as a pallet load of whisky,” he said.

That article is dated Nov 18, 2018 this lack of storage is not coming out of the blue. Lots of capital tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gove is probably the most able Minister in that new Cabinet, (wouldn't be hard for him), and that's the plan he managed to put together. It'll be some clusterf**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

20silkcut wrote: »
    Ever try spending NI sterling notes on the mainland? a lot of places won’t accept it and most say wtf is that?? Very reluctantly might take it.
    They’d trust euros ahead of NI sterling.

Coming in a bit late, given we've moved a fair few pages forward but a lot of shops [in England] - banks are grand - will look at a Scottish note sideways, never mind an NI or Bank of Ireland issued sterling note (yes they exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lemming wrote: »
    Coming in a bit late, given we've moved a fair few pages forward but a lot of shops [in England] - banks are grand - will look at a Scottish note sideways, never mind an NI or Bank of Ireland issued sterling note (yes they exist).

Yep had issues spending both Scottish and NI Notes in high street shops in the UK in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yep had issues spending both Scottish and NI Notes in high street shops in the UK in the past.

Should have kept the notes standardised throughout the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You can call the manager in a shop or the bar in a pub in London or Manchester and they won’t take Scottish or Northern irish Sterling.
    They don’t know the history they don’t know it’s proper currency
    They will refuse every time in my own experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I once paid for the same round of drinks with a mix of Scottish,N. Ireland and Englush notes.
    Now try spending an English £50 note in most shops and that causes more trouble as they usually get £20 from the ATM so don't see the £50 very often. It's too much money for a low level employee to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00077j8

Posting off phone but above is link for Newsnight. Hopefully it works.

Edit: Turns out only works for those of us based in UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00077j8

Posting off phone but above is link for Newnight. Hopefully it workd.

Why are you posting this?
    "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Water John wrote: »
    I presume Bruce Arnold is quite old. Like Conor Cruise O'Brien before, nobody will be paying heed any more.

He's 82 . This is what Wiki says about him :

Bruce Arnold is an English journalist and author who has lived in Ireland since 1957.

He should have retired years ago as he has lost all sense of reality.

Despite residing in Ireland, he consistently degrades the country in favour of the UK.
    Wikipedia

I remember he used write an article in the Independent once a week in the 80's and was a well known Fine Gael supporter at the time

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Why are you posting this?
    "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry"

Would you relax. I wasn’t sure would it work hence my comment, some BBC links do work abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

Lemming wrote: »

The trouble is that neither Northern Irish nor Scottish notes are legal tender.

Just watched the newsnight piece, he was excellent. Enjoyed the piece on identify.

The trouble is that neither Northern Irish nor Scottish notes are legal tender.

Is that really much trouble when it's simple to exchange it for legal tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Theanswers wrote: »
    I'm sure they might. But again it doesn't solve the point I raised which is that Amazon UK is about 3.5 times the size of the nearest Amazon EU marketplace (Germany) of which the majority of Amazon Germanys products are sold by UK companies using UK Fulfillment Centers. The product choice of Amazon Germany, France, Italy and Spain will reduce after brexit and have increased prices.

This coupled with the fact Irish consumers will have longer delivery times and incorrect EU plug sockets.

I really see both traditional and online shopping in Ireland become extremely uncompetitive coupled with poor consumer choices if brexit goes ahead.

If you look at bargain alerts here in boards you notice often that a lot of amazon bargains are better found from their EU sites. I think a lot of people here will switch Post brexit and put up with using Google translate. With customs checks on UK fulfilment, it'll become the born to use amazon Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Theanswers wrote: »
    I'm sure they might. But again it doesn't solve the point I raised which is that Amazon UK is about 3.5 times the size of the nearest Amazon EU marketplace (Germany) of which the majority of Amazon Germanys products are sold by UK companies using UK Fulfillment Centers. The product choice of Amazon Germany, France, Italy and Spain will reduce after brexit and have increased prices.

This coupled with the fact Irish consumers will have longer delivery times and incorrect EU plug sockets.

I really see both traditional and online shopping in Ireland become extremely uncompetitive coupled with poor consumer choices if brexit goes ahead.
    The amazon practice of using the UK as a base for filling orders to other EU countries is likely to change after Brexit - certainly after a no-deal Brexit. So Amazon UK may get smaller, and Amazon DE (or another EU-based Amazon site) get larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Former editor of the Sun more than hinting at an organised press campaign against Ireland and suggests it will ramp up further.

https://twitter.com/davidyelland/status/1156607348477169664

This is Cummings work I imagine. Everyone on song.

They can try do their worst but even the most ardent English brexiteers will just say "give Ireland back to the Irish". It's happened more than once in the BBC TV debates.

They can try do their wrist but even the most ardent enjoyable brexiteers . . .
    Bloody autocorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You’re in another thread saying Northern Ireland should be given independence. You said it seriously.
    Am I saying something different now?
    I said I'm against a UI. That doesn't mean NI doesn't have the right to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

You can call the manager in a shop or the bar in a pub in London or Manchester and they won’t take Scottish or Northern irish Sterling.
    They don’t know the history they don’t know it’s proper currency
    They will refuse every time in my own experience

Even though it is a trivial enough matter it Highlights the England first mentality of the United Kingdom in my opinion.
    And symbolically flys in the face of unionist sensitivity to be equal to the mainland. Their loyal bank notes are not the equal of the mainland bank notes. I’m sure many of them have been put out by it. Imagine Arlene paying for her coffee in Westminster with her northern bank notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

They can try do their worst but even the most ardent English brexiteers will just say "give Ireland back to the Irish". It's happened more than once in the BBC TV debates.

Didn’t Paul McCartney have a song about that one time. Such a simple solution why did no one ever think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

20silkcut wrote: »
    Even though it is a trivial enough matter it Highlights the England first mentality of the United Kingdom in my opinion.

I've even had high street shop staff in London volunteer that they'll take Euros if I had those instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Strazdas wrote: »
    Don't forget Eastern European people will be perfectly free to travel to UK airports even after No Deal. Freedom of movement laws refer only to the right to work : there would be no need for such people to enter Britain via the ROI (waste of a plane ticket)
    I'm not so sure.

The UK Border Force will make a note of when Pawel arrived from Warsaw and they will start checking departing passengers' passports (if they don't already) to ensure that they didn't overstay the 90 days or whatever.

It will be reasonably easy for the Home Office to discover strange travel patterns, that might indicate an individual is actually resident in the UK rather than say Poland.

That surveillance can be completely bypassed by flying into DUB first and then taking either a direct flight to a GB airport (assuming CTA remains as is with UK airports handling Irish arrivals as domestic) or in the event the CTA is "somewhat restricted" and identity checks are instigated on ex RoI flights, then they will take a private car (there will be a bustling black market "taxi" trade ferrying Eastern Europeans to/from Dublin-Belfast as coaches are likely to be checked on arrival at Belfast) to Belfast and travel onwards from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

A hard Brexit will solve the uk immigration problem from November they will have almost no trade deals with anyone will be swamped will cheap **** food and goods from all over the world go into a deep recession, my only worry about a hard Brexit is how do stop British economic immigrants coming over here and into the eu

We’ll that’s one way of spinning it. Of course the money is just resting in their accounts for now

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1156681386872303616?s=21

A hard Brexit will solve the uk immigration problem from November they will have almost no trade deals with anyone will be swamped will cheap **** food and goods from all over the world go into a deep recession, my only worry about a hard Brexit is how do stop British economic immigrants coming over here and into the eu

Over a million irish passport applications from the uk.
    You’re definitely going to see a percentage of that move over I reckon. Even if it’s small

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Regarding last nights Newsnight, Powell was excellent and really knows his stuff. It is a pity he is not on the media circuit more often to counter the Brexiters. Newsnight planned to run a segment on the economics of what Johnson is doing, ie tax cuts and throwing money around. They pulled it at the last minute

https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1156690046755528707

You’re definitely going to see a percentage of that move over I reckon. Even if it’s small
    UK citizens don't need Irish passports to move to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

They can move over without the Irish passport and just apply for citizenship after a period of time. There's a guy in my job that's done that.
    Moved his family over a couple of months ago.

We (the Irish guys) complain about Ireland but when we do he tells us how it was back in Scotland. Irelands not so bad :). He loves it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Not to mention the (what is it - nearly 1 million?) Irish born people living in the UK, we many have a problem trying to prevent the return of many of these.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement