Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If in the event that an election comes about and the Lib Dem’s get in with some form of coalition with ______ and they revoke article 50 and cancel the whole thing, what would public reaction be? I can see that bringing about trouble.
    The most vocal leavers online are the very sort to cause ructions from what I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

robinph wrote: »
    If I was king of the world then I'd make all 6th form colleges and uni's close for the day, and anyone coming back in the next day showing that they went to actually vote gets an extra credit on their coursework or something, and anyone under 25 in work gets a paid half day off, funded by the government if needed, again with proof that they turned up to vote.

Or just schedule voting days on weekends like the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If in the event that an election comes about and the Lib Dem’s get in with some form of coalition with ______ and they revoke article 50 and cancel the whole thing, what would public reaction be? I can see that bringing about trouble.
    The most vocal leavers online are the very sort to cause ructions from what I can tell

I think it will be the same as now, a few loud mouthed people shouting and screaming about the EU taking over but otherwise people will just grumble and get on with their lives. There will be a couple of days of people throwing bricks at whatever party HQ it is who has the PM at the time, but then they will get bored and go back home because nothing has really changed that much and they need to get back to work.

Much the same as why there isn't really any major uprising about revoking so far is because nothing has really changed yet and so people are mostly just getting on with their lives and hoping for the best.

It needs something to actually change in peoples lives before they would get agitated enough to go out and cause a ruckus about things and a hard Brexit is the only way that kind of change will happen. The options we are all hoping for of soft or no brexit will mostly just result in a small bit of grumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think there would be a much better Remain campaign this time around and they'd have some serious firepower this time as well. Instead of mealy mouthed tripe about house prices and security, they can now go to town on Johnson as well as the Cambridge Analytica scandal, dodgy funding from people like Arron Banks, etc...

Unless Brexit happens and there is a hit, I'd be afraid that the next GE would still be dominated by a news cycle of Brexiteers claiming the WA was negotiated by a remainer, May (ignoring Davis's or Raab's role in it) and so is not a true reflection of what a deal should be.

They'll say that Leave fines, CA and Arron Banks are Remainer propaganda and any legal actions have been politically motivated.

They'll say that all negative events/predictions are influenced be remainers trying to get to stay.

They'll go extra heavy on the message that democracy is being railroaded.

They'll utilise Trump's promise of a favourable deal.

And they're better at getting the above messages to the less than 10% of people who are potentially open to being influenced in order to swing it. Way better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree based on what I've seen with my English friends who voted Brexit, then regretted it, and are now keen for No Deal.

I'm aware you live there so you have a better handle on the local sentiment. But I do think the rerun would be painted so negatively, it would still be against Remain or anything sensible.

Well, I live in London and I work for a University so my perspective would be far different than if I were living in an impoverished part of Manchester, say.

Yeah, there is an argument that a second referendum would be undemocratic so that will need to be addressed in the campaign. Also, people would need to realize that staying in restores the status quo which did lead us to Brexit. Staying in must therefore be the first step in radically changing the UK to be a fairer place given the huge economic disparity it has.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Unless Brexit happens and there is a hit, I'd be afraid that the next GE would still be dominated by a news cycle of Brexiteers claiming the WA was negotiated by a remainer, May (ignoring Davis's or Raab's role in it) and so is not a true reflection of what a deal should be.

They'll say that Leave fines, CA and Arron Banks are Remainer propaganda and any legal actions have been politically motivated.

They'll say that all negative events/predictions are influenced be remainers trying to get to stay.

They'll go extra heavy on the message that democracy is being railroaded.

They'll utilise Trump's promise of a favourable deal.

And they're better at getting the above messages to the less than 10% of people who are potentially open to being influenced in order to swing it. Way better.
    Even with a bit they will say it is all independent of Brexit. They have so far and sure all those companies are just making excuses.

I can see why you would ignore Raab's role in the WA. Negotiators quickly realised he was of little relevance for negotiations and ignored him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, I live in London and I work for a University so my perspective would be far different than if I were living in an impoverished part of Manchester, say.

Yeah, there is an argument that a second referendum would be undemocratic so that will need to be addressed in the campaign. Also, people would need to realize that staying in restores the status quo which did lead us to Brexit. Staying in must therefore be the first step in radically changing the UK to be a fairer place given the huge economic disparity it has.

An in-law of mine works for a London University too. Did you get a very scary letter assuring you of your job and status after the referendum result?

I am saying 'scary' as that was how my in-law described it's sudden appearance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

An in-law of mine works for a London University too. Did you get a very scary letter assuring you of your job and status after the referendum result?

I am saying 'scary' as that was how my in-law described it's sudden appearance.

We've had emails alright but they were more about updating people with where we are on the subject. The University has launched a support service for EU nationals but I'm Irish so I've not looked at it. They did try to reassure us about jobs and status though and I think they're trying to help people apply for permanent residency as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Listening to Miriam o Callaghan yesterday on the growing anti Irish sentiment and rhetoric in the British press, she has Trevor McDonald and some other guy literally blaming the anti Irish sentiment on Remainers.
    It’s wont give me a link but it’s in the podcasts. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Listening to Miriam o Callaghan yesterday on the growing anti Irish sentiment and rhetoric in the British press, she has Trevor McDonald and some other guy literally blaming the anti Irish sentiment on Remainers.
    It’s wont give me a link but it’s in the podcasts. Well worth a listen.

You sure it was 'Trevor'?

The segment she did yesterday was with Dearbhail McDonald, Irish journalist from Newry area, Brendan O'Neill of Spiked (he of 'I'm from peasant stock' fame) and Roy Greenslade, Media commentator and contributor to The Guardian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I am kind of coming to see that a second referendum is extremely difficult to justify, when the UK hasn’t actually left yet.

A second referendum will be ten times more ugly than the first one, and will just add to the underlying anger of the Brexit masses. Even if Remain wins, the margin will be small, and the country will resent the vote.

From a long term point of view, like 20-30 years, maybe it’s better to let them crash out and realise over time that it is infinitely better to be a member of the EU.

Maybe they’ll never realise, but at least the rest of us will be free of their whingeing and obstruction.

I realise the EU is far from perfect and people should of course be allowed to criticise it and debate it freely, but Brexit Britain takes that to a whole other level.

Do the rest of us (EU 27) really think it’s worth keeping them on board, at this stage? They are completely toxic and adrift, and will be for at least another 5-10 years.

The segment she did yesterday was with Dearbhail McDonald, Irish journalist from Newry area, Brendan O'Neill of Spiked (he of 'I'm from peasant stock' fame) and Roy Greenslade, Media commentator and contributor to The Guardian.

I spoke wrong thanks.

I do also realise that there are many, many millions of sane, reasonable and decent people in the UK, both Remain and Leave voters, who never envisioned any of this. But I am getting to the point where I’m kind of thinking, brace for impact, or leave.

Shelga wrote: »
    I am kind of coming to see that a second referendum is extremely difficult to justify, when the UK hasn’t actually left yet.

A second referendum will be ten times more ugly than the first one, and will just add to the underlying anger of the Brexit masses. Even if Remain wins, the margin will be small, and the country will resent the vote.

From a long term point of view, like 20-30 years, maybe it’s better to let them crash out and realise over time that it is infinitely better to be a member of the EU.

Maybe they’ll never realise, but at least the rest of us will be free of their whingeing and obstruction.

I realise the EU is far from perfect and people should of course be allowed to criticise it and debate it freely, but Brexit Britain takes that to a whole other level.

Do the rest of us (EU 27) really think it’s worth keeping them on board, at this stage? They are completely toxic and adrift, and will be for at least another 5-10 years.

I think it's important to try and not judge the UK by sensationalist vox pops and tweets. I'm not saying that you are of course, just that it's easy to do.

Most people who don't spend much time listening to, reading about or discussing politics, certainly not so much that they post on a thread like this. I think it can be reasonably argued, therefore that when prominent figures like Gove and Johnson drive around in a bus and tell them that Brexit will be good for the NHS and the country as a whole, taking them at their word doesn't make them stupid.

These days it is becoming easier and easier to judge people by tweets, edited videos and other nonsense and we end up dehumanizing them. The UK is just a more extreme example of this but it is not alone by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When I read the post you responded to here, I thought that that sounded like Brendan O'Neil.

Also, Irish people are used to emigrating when times get tough. Britain has never experienced that before. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, but we’ve all done it, and you adapt.

I think it's important to try and not judge the UK by sensationalist vox pops and tweets. I'm not saying that you are of course, just that it's easy to do.

Most people who don't spend much time listening to, reading about or discussing politics, certainly not so much that they post on a thread like this. I think it can be reasonably argued, therefore that when prominent figures like Gove and Johnson drive around in a bus and tell them that Brexit will be good for the NHS and the country as a whole, taking them at their word doesn't make them stupid.

These days it is becoming easier and easier to judge people by tweets, edited videos and other nonsense and we end up dehumanizing them. The UK is just a more extreme example of this but it is not alone by any stretch.

But I’m not basing my judgement on just the media. I went back to England recently, for a visit to some old colleagues from my team, one of whom was leaving. A lot of them are middle-aged men, they all voted for the Brexit Party.

They work for an automotive company, for god’s sake.

I came away feeling really unsettled. It’s honestly like they’ve been brainwashed.

These people cannot be helped. A shock to the system is the only thing that will do it, and even then, I think they will blame other factors rather than admit they were fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The UK will not do this. They will campaign on the need to reform the EU from within.

The need for substantial reform in the UK is not discussed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it could be more than this. Thing is you now have a younger generation who are more numerous than before by way of now being old enough to vote. Then you have the sheer farce the Tories have made of the whole thing and the fact that a lot of people will simply have died since 2016 who statistically would have been more likely to vote Brexit.
    I'd be curious to know how many of those are informed of the pros & cons of leaving and the different impact on the UK from either remaining, the WA and from a no-deal exit.
    I'd put money down that they still largely don't know or understand the details and would vote in whatever way their Facebook feed tells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Disturbing that hard/no-deal Brexit parties between them muster 50.3% of the vote, though. This is only about 1.5% down on the Leave vote in that constituency in the 2016 referendum. If that's replicated nationally - admittedly, that's a very big "if" - then the Leave vote has (a) held up pretty well, despite all that has happened since, and (b) has if anything hardened in its outlook.

I'm frankly astonished that the Tory vote is as high as it is. I don't agree with a Brexit Party vote, but I can understand it. But the Tories have worked really, really hard over the past three years to repel voters and to present themselves as radically unfit for office. They've been utterly single-minded about this, and I don't see that they could possibly have done more. And yet nearly four in ten voters simply will not get the message. What would have to happen, I wonder, for them to vote for some other party?

If I'm not mistaken the Tory candidate was an incumbent who had to resign his seat due to a petition about questionable expenses claims.

So maybe the voters who voted for him though he was a good MP who was getting shafted.

Remember all politics is local, maybe his support had little to do with national politics.

The exact same would happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I read ignorant comments from Brexiteers and sometimes I get so angry I think that if Ireland were not to be affected I would wish the hardest of Brexits on some of them. Anyone else get like that? Their ignorance rattles me.People commenting about Mark Carney being a remoaner. The man can't wait to leave the absolute basketcase of a country I imagine.

Just following up on AnCopaills comments, I lived in London during and after the ref and spend time in poorer areas of Northern UK and honestly there is not much of regret at all. People I have spoken to are either pissed its not happened or think it will be fine. To be honest if they were daft enough to vote first time there will not be much of a swing around. Now that is just people I have spoken to, so a small sample size.

I do think there was an early misconception that No Deal equalled the status quo.

Also, Irish people are used to emigrating when times get tough. Britain has never experienced that before. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, but we’ve all done it, and you adapt.

British people working in Ireland sending money home, will be quite the historical turn around. UK government has worse case scenario for sterling as losing another 25%. Worse case scenario obvs but would be astonishing to see impacts if it lost even another 10%.

British people working in Ireland sending money home, will be quite the historical turn around. UK government has worse case scenario for sterling as losing another 25%. Worse case scenario obvs but would be astonishing to see impacts if it lost even another 10%.

Ha, well I was more picturing people in their 20s who want to escape what Britain has become, at least for a few years, or people with families who work in the City, who will now think they would have a better and more stable standard of living in somewhere like Berlin or Dublin.

I think there could be all sorts of reasons people could look to leave, whereas it wouldn't have entered their heads 5 years ago.

But I’m not basing my judgement on just the media. I went back to England recently, for a visit to some old colleagues from my team, one of whom was leaving. A lot of them are middle-aged men, they all voted for the Brexit Party.

They work for an automotive company, for god’s sake.

I came away feeling really unsettled. It’s honestly like they’ve been brainwashed.

These people cannot be helped. A shock to the system is the only thing that will do it, and even then, I think they will blame other factors rather than admit they were fooled.

That's fair enough. I get the same feeling talking to my family who are Unionists and Trump admirers.

The thing is that the Tory-DUP alliance today has a majority of one vote. Johnson's position is perilous and it looks like Europe will claim the scalp of a fifth consecutive Conservative PM.
    Calina wrote: »
    The UK will not do this. They will campaign on the need to reform the EU from within.

The need for substantial reform in the UK is not discussed.

I would hope that the campaign, should it happen would focus on British leadership of the EU and on reforming both the EU and the UK. The latter I have close to no hope for.
    I'd be curious to know how many of those are informed of the pros & cons of leaving and the different impact on the UK from either remaining, the WA and from a no-deal exit.
    I'd put money down that they still largely don't know or understand the details and would vote in whatever way their Facebook feed tells them.

The amount of pro-Brexit voters I know is incredibly small. My aunt is obsessed with Turkey joining the EU so she voted Leave. I've explained Turkey's stalled bid to her numerous times after but she's still obsessed with it. She's also fairly wealthy and has the whole "Sure, we've survived worse" mentality. Not encouraging.

I don't think the majority would be that well informed if it were not for the sheer farce the Conservatives have made of things and everyone at least would agree on that. There is nobody here who voted Leave in 2016 with the Withdrawal Agreement in mind (I've not a source for this so you can take that or leave it).

Ha, well I was more picturing people in their 20s who want to escape what Britain has become, at least for a few years, or people with families who work in the City, who will now think they would have a better and more stable standard of living in somewhere like Berlin or Dublin.

I think there could be all sorts of reasons people could look to leave, whereas it wouldn't have entered their heads 5 years ago.

Absolutely, I have spoken to some who just want to leave because they cannot be arsed with it all. People looking at moving abroad pre Oct 31st as they "have had enough of this ****e". It is lead the headlines every day for over three years, its brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

newport2 wrote: »
    No.

The whole problem with Brexit is that it was all about preserving the Tory party, which should have split in the 90's because it was divided on the fundamental issue of Europe. Cost John Major back then. Once the Tories were back in power again after Blair, it resurfaced. The Brexit referendum was called by Cameron to see off the UKIP party under Farage and stop Tory members from going to them. Once May was in power all her red lines were drawn trying to keep both sides of the Tory party happy - impossible. Now Johnson has built a totally pro-leave party, in large get Tory votes back from the Brexit party. Everything stems back to the division in the Tories that has been there for decades. Hopefully they will eventually split.

Hopefully they'll be destroyed.

Oddly, they will be destroyed of they win the GE imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1157190562983944192

The Brexit Party don't seem to understand there presence in the next election will probably mean Brexit is even less likely as it will hurt the only party who genuinely want Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/01/mark-francois-tory-rebels-vow-to-block-brexit-deal-even-without-backstop

Then you get this,,,its wild,,,yet again a supposed committed Brexiter is again threatening to block Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1157190562983944192

The Brexit Party don't seem to understand there presence in the next election will probably mean Brexit is even less likely as it will hurt the only party who genuinely want Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/01/mark-francois-tory-rebels-vow-to-block-brexit-deal-even-without-backstop

Then you get this,,,its wild,,,yet again a supposed committed Brexiter is again threatening to block Brexit.

Ha. Good luck campaigning in the likes of Foyle and South Down! Or most of Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Was there a lot of emigration from England during the Callaghan Labour government of the late 70’s. Always found that strange at a time when Irish people were emigrating in their droves to England. Although a lot of Irish people came home in the late 70’s too.
    The 50’s /60’s and 80’s were the peak years of Irish emigration to England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I disagree based on what I've seen with my English friends who voted Brexit, then regretted it, and are now keen for No Deal.

I'm aware you live there so you have a better handle on the local sentiment. But I do think the rerun would be painted so negatively, it would still be against Remain or anything sensible.

I think the remain camp in a new referendum would have to get the message across that the facts surrounding Brexit has changed and this is not the same referendum as before. They will need to quote the likes of Gove and Farage and Johnson and Hannan on their pronouncements of not leaving the single market or getting a deal. The option in front of the British people is not that so it is only natural that a new referendum is held with these new facts. Yes it will not penetrate to all voters, but hopefully just enough that this is not just a re-run of the previous referendum but about 2 options open to the UK.

If the Lib Dem's run on a manifesto of overturning article 50 and they secure a majority then they have a mandate to do that. If they are a major partner in a coalition then I suspect they will happily settle for a second referendum of no-deal vs remain. They will not be negotiating a Brexit deal and if they were to lose the referendum on those terms I suspect another election would be on the cards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement