Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Folks are reading this stuff as if it is addressed to the EU. It isn't. There are no talks or negotiations happening, not since Christmas.

Everything since then has been the UK negotiating or arguing with themselves.

They will keep this up until October and then beg for a last minute extension so they can keep doing it.
    It's what however-many millions of media spend get you. Weak articles in rags, but it's all about the coverage, get it in the voter's minds that Boris and his merry band are storming the battlements in Brussels, dogged underdogs that they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boris has promised £350m a week or the NHS

Wait - it's spread over five years so it's a little over £350m a year. :rolleyes:

BTW that £1.8Bn is nearly a third of the current repair bill of £6Bn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Seen in another light, if this isn’t a massive FU to Arlene and her DUP pals I don’t know what is :) especially given her targeting him this week calling him truculent. he’s getting tons of praise for going up. Brilliant optics. A rare PR goal for once

https://twitter.com/policeserviceni/status/1157656505585426432?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's what however-many millions of media spend get you. Weak articles in rags, but it's all about the coverage, get it in the voter's minds that Boris and his merry band are storming the battlements in Brussels, dogged underdogs that they are.
    It's the inherent schizophrenia of the thing that is so hard to get your head around. They are simultaneously being bullied by Brussels and hold all the cards. It's Schroedinger's brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Agree fully and I think more Irish people are think along these lines not less like the British press is reporting

I was of the idea that I didn't want Britain to suffer. That 48% of the people didn't vote for this in 2016,and that probably more would now. But it's little things, like the fact that over 50% of the votes in the by election during the week went to Brexit party and conservatives. I find that staggering. After all that has come out, all the lies and bull****, so so many leavers have hardened their views if anything. Ultimately the UK needs a hard nó deal brexit as a wake up call. But as usual if that happens, the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Sun, the Express and bloody leaflets in Weatherspoons will say its all the fault of the fault of the bullies in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Why is the Independent printing this garbage?

Because the Indo IS garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Eoin Harris is he not in some asylum for the deranged at this stage.the indo/sindo is a rag and full of west Brit types.I've not a lot of time for Leo but on the brexit issue I back him 100%.the sindo would love to have ff back in the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

Now that the UK is leaving without a deal, surely all the EU has to decide on is if checks are going to carried out at the border or away from the border.

Why not have a vote in Ireland on it, then go to the EU and tell them this is what the people want and is that acceptable ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Eoin Harris is he not in some asylum for the deranged at this stage.the indo/sindo is a rag and full of west Brit types.I've not a lot of time for Leo but on the brexit issue I back him 100%.the sindo would love to have ff back in the power.

Timmy Dooley tried to take cheap political advantage on the back of the British media attack on the Irish Government and got rightly smacked for it.

It was a useful if misguided attack in that it quickly and comprehensively showed that nobody is going to break ranks. On Brexit it looks like we have a 'national government'.
    Which is what is needed atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Now that the UK is leaving without a deal, surely all the EU has to decide on is if checks are going to carried out at the border or away from the border.

Why not have a vote in Ireland on it, then go to the EU and tell them this is what the people want and is that acceptable ?

The only vote that would be applicable there would be under the GFA and it would be in relation to United Ireland. Ireland can't vote to not have a border with third countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The problem at Dover will be the focus initially so we don't have to worry about checks in the immediate aftermath. If the UK signs a trade deal in the first week that means a divergence of standards from the EU then the talk of a border will ramp up, but the US congress has already hinted that no-deal will not guarantee a trade deal as it would be screwing with the GFA.

So, no we don't have to decide now on something that may only be a problem in the new year only.

Arlene reveals her plans on how they’re going to be spending their billion bribe.
    I’m dyin to know what ‘uk cultural revival’ entails.

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1157756722695614466?s=21

listermint wrote: »
    The only vote that would be applicable there would be under the GFA and it would be in relation to United Ireland. Ireland can't vote to not have a border with third countries.

Yeah but you can do checks away from the border easily. Rotterdam do it for everything. So that is the solution is it not ?

WTO says goods do not have to be checked at the Border, Ireland and UK say no checks will be done at the border. Why not just say goods will be checked away from the border when the UK leaves.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yeah but you can do checks away from the border easily. Rotterdam do it for everything. So that is the solution is it not ?

WTO says goods do not have to be checked at the Border, Ireland and UK say no checks will be done at the border. Why not just say goods will be checked away from the border when the UK leaves.

All for doing them at NI ports imv.

No EU flags on car number plates, about 95% of UK car number plates already omit the symbol, they never adopted them in the first place.

As for UK culture, it doesn't exist, you have English, Scottish & Welsh cultural differences and of course NI culture that's a world apart from anywhere else entirely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No EU flags on car number plates, about 95% of UK car number plates already omit the symbol, they never adopted them in the first place.

If there is no EU flag on the number plate, they will need a separate white oval GB sticker on the car if outside the UK.

If there is no EU flag on the number plate, they will need a separate white oval GB sticker on the car if outside the UK.
    They're quite happy to do that, most countries don't enforce that rule anyway. Few UK cars in Ireland have the stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Rotterdam does its checks in the port - you agree to that?
    That's perfect- as that is all that the EU asks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It should be no shock that the Indo/Sindo are Brexit papers.

Meanwhile an interesting look at what some who write for journals around the world think about Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/04/how-does-the-rest-of-the-world-currently-view-the-uk-brexit-boris-johnson

I liked this as it hits upon a truth not really talked about
    Britain confuses its standing with that of London. London is a great global city. Britain is a small European country with ideas above its station. People will continue to shop in London. Companies will locate less in Britain. The Indian government will pay less attention to the British prime minister and more to Brussels and Berlin.

It seems to me that too many people in London seem to believe, deep down, that Brexit won’t happen. They don’t seem to realise they are now strangers in their own country.

fash wrote: »
    Rotterdam does its checks in the port - you agree to that?
    That's perfect- as that is all that the EU asks.

Yes, but the Rotterdam BIP are 40 miles away from the physical border.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Eoghan Harris seems to think that asking for the backstop is an example Irish nationalism. It’s an EU idea. In fact it’s a EU-British idea as both set of negotiators agreed to it. It was just rejected by parliament.

Far from being any kind of bullying of the U.K. the backstop is a concession. Parts of the U.K. can be in the common market. It’s unionist intransigence that’s the issue.

Yes, but the Rotterdam BIP are 40 miles away from the physical border.
    The port itself is a control. You can't just disappear a container load of Argentinian beef between the port and the BIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Here I was, under the impression Arlene thought homosexuality was a sin, and now she wants to turn the license plates into a rainbow flag. Red, white and blue on a yella background. Paisley must be kicking in his silken coffin just about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very good article by David McWilliams in yesterdays Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The port itself is a control. You can't just disappear a container load of Argentinian beef between the port and the BIP.

Sorry but it happens with a lot worse than beef https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/01/drug-suspects-trapped-in-container-call-antwerp-police-for-help

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: below standard posts deleted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Arlene reveals her plans on how they’re going to be spending their billion bribe.
    I’m dyin to know what ‘uk cultural revival’ entails.

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1157756722695614466?s=21
    They've already started cultural revival in NI but only for usums not themums.

Red, White & Blue number plates.
    🔹Free-to-Air coverage of cricket
    - Tories control the BBC purse strings (and appointments to the board) talk to them about paying for it
    Remember the Free TV licences for OAP's ?

🔹Making Remembrance Day a bank holiday.
    - who doesn't want another bank holiday , but why not a public holiday ?

🔹Massive infrastructure spending.
    - Remind us of how much has been spent west of the Bann ?
    - on how much of funding for the new roads through her constituency have been provided from the EU / Irish government ?

🔹UK Cultural renewal.
    - had to LOL at Bunting (so much nicer than Flegs)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

otnomart wrote: »

I doubt there is an airport or port in the world where some stuff doesn't get through. When drugs become impossible to get then you have hit peak customs control. And that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

They've already started cultural revival in NI but only for usums not themums.

Red, White & Blue number plates.
    🔹Free-to-Air coverage of cricket
    - Tories control the BBC purse strings (and appointments to the board) talk to them about paying for it
    Remember the Free TV licences for OAP's ?

🔹Making Remembrance Day a bank holiday.
    - who doesn't want another bank holiday , but why not a public holiday ?

🔹Massive infrastructure spending.
    - Remind us of how much has been spent west of the Bann ?
    - on how much of funding for the new roads through her constituency have been provided from the EU / Irish government ?

🔹UK Cultural renewal.
    - had to LOL at Bunting (so much nicer than Flegs)

They’re in cloud cuckoo. I’m not even sure who they’re pitching this to?
    It’s supposed to be, by their own statement, a fund for all NI.

And that’s what they come up with?

I can’t help but think they DUP are willingly and knowingly trying to destroy themselves. Between this and the objection to special status for NI which would have and easily could be a massive boon to the entire province

Unless...they’ve already agreed to the border in the sea and this is to appeal to and soften up their base before they announce it?

Maybe?

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    I understand that things will get tough for the UK, but I just don't see the same rewards for beef as cocaine. I know refrigerated containers are referred to as 'reefers' in the trade, but that's about as close as it gets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement