Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So would farmers have to drive to a checking point prior to driving over the border or would we have officials visiting all premises?

And what about muti-farm loads? Would the containers be sealed to avoid extra stuff being put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We'll make all the lorry drivers collecting from farms around the border, custom officials, problem solved.

Steve Barclay claiming Barnier needs a new mandate. They are trying to say a new parliament resets everything to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very good article by David McWilliams in yesterdays Irish Times.

He argues that Ireland and the EU should let the UK crash and burn and that Ireland will be more than okay in the coming years. It's probably a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

otnomart wrote: »

Probably because Rotterdam only physically check 3% of goods coming in from outside of the EU. So if they check 3% of goods there it must be ok for 3% everywhere on the EU border.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Well the UK are in the EU right now only because their government signed the Agreement to Extend Brexit.

If they really are demanding renegotiation it means they are either totally ignorant of current situation, or they do know and simply don't care about what was signed.

In either case the do themselves a disservice as they aptly demonstrate they are not worthy of trust.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »

Probably because Rotterdam only physically check 3% of goods coming in from outside of the EU. So if they check 3% of goods there it must be ok for 3% everywhere on the EU border.

The point is not the 3%. The point is that it is entirely under EU control over what they check. They can increase that 3% whenever they wish.

NI is different as no border would exist so EU relies on a third country to cooperate. A third country that has stated it won't follow the rules, wants to control everything, and won't abide by any EU rulings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Everywhere that has the systems to check electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Agree fully and I think more Irish people are think along these lines not less like the British press is reporting

I was of the idea that I didn't want Britain to suffer. That 48% of the people didn't vote for this in 2016,and that probably more would now. But it's little things, like the fact that over 50% of the votes in the by election during the week went to Brexit party and conservatives. I find that staggering. After all that has come out, all the lies and bull****, so so many leavers have hardened their views if anything. Ultimately the UK needs a hard nó deal brexit as a wake up call. But as usual if that happens, the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Sun, the Express and bloody leaflets in Weatherspoons will say its all the fault of the fault of the bullies in the EU.
    Wetherspoon's should be boycotted in Ireland they are just **** holes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree Declan, couldn't see the attraction of going to one, any way, esp in Ireland.
    Center Parcs rejigged their Irish site to specifically carter for Irish tastes, fair play to them. Martin talks about replacing EU beers, ffs.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Here I was, under the impression Arlene thought homosexuality was a sin, and now she wants to turn the license plates into a rainbow flag. Red, white and blue on a yella background. Paisley must be kicking in his silken coffin just about now.
    I think Arlene is a man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think Arlene is a man

Serious discussion only please. This is not acceptable here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Water John wrote: »
    We'll make all the lorry drivers collecting from farms around the border, custom officials, problem solved.

Steve Barclay claiming Barnier needs a new mandate. They are trying to say a new parliament resets everything to zero.
    I'm beginning to wonder about those "top" universities in england ( always use small e )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Agree Declan, couldn't see the attraction of going to one, any way, esp in Ireland.
    Center Parcs rejigged their Irish site to specifically carter for Irish tastes, fair play to them. Martin talks about replacing EU beers, ffs.
    Tim Martin is that most unique of brexiters. Pushing hard for the thing that is most likely to decimate his business. He already has trouble getting staff, has alienated half the population and as stated above is threatening to reduce the choice in his outlets and turn away even more customers. A true hero of brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Yes, but the Rotterdam BIP are 40 miles away from the physical border.
    When ever this nonsense point is raised, I am left wondering whether the person making it is a troll, a gullible fool or something in between.

Let's pretend for a moment that what you said is an actual plan: so you plan to expropriate all land from the border inland from the border by 40 miles (of note the Rotterdam BIP is 40km -not miles- from the furthest terminal) - and drive out the (mostly Catholic) inhabitants, wall or fence that in and then convert that space into the largest border infrastructure the world has ever known?

What do you do with the inhabitants you drive out? Is your plan to liquidate them?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Tim Martin is that most unique of brexiters. Pushing hard for the thing that is most likely to decimate his business. He already has trouble getting staff, has alienated half the population and as stated above is threatening to reduce the choice in his outlets and turn away even more customers. A true hero of brexit.
    A hard Brexit would drive down his labour costs in england it would put him out of business in ireland I say bring on a hard brexit the more I think about it the the more I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I'd just point out that Centre Parcs is actually a Dutch company. They operate similar facilities all over Europe and they're all highly localised.

I'm not really sure what it has to do with Brexit tho other than I assume UK holiday makers will have to look more towards Staycation destinations due to falling GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

I would respond that unfortunately although the UK has changed leader it hasn't changed parliament - and as the UK agreed to extend the A50 date from April to October in the basis of no change to the WA, unfortunately the UK has no mandate to demand a change in mandate.

fash wrote: »
    When ever this nonsense point is raised, I am left wondering whether the person making it is a troll, a gullible fool or something in between.

Let's pretend for a moment that what you said is an actual plan: so you plan to expropriate all land from the border inland from the border by 40 miles (of note the Rotterdam BIP is 40km -not miles- from the furthest terminal) - and drive out the (mostly Catholic) inhabitants, wall or fence that in and then convert that space into the largest border infrastructure the world has ever known?

What do you do with the inhabitants you drive out? Is your plan to liquidate them?

So what you are saying is that checks cannot be carried out away from the border. That Coveney, Varadkar, UK, WTO and EU are all wrong when they say checks will not be done at the border.

Checks will have to be carried out somewhere either at the border or away from the border. Best hurry up and decide which !

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I would respond that unfortunately although the UK has changed leader it hasn't changed parliament - and as the UK agreed to extend the A50 date from April to October in the basis of no change to the WA, unfortunately the UK has no mandate to demand a change in mandate.

I wonder if a week of no-deal brexit (no insulin, no airplanes, ...) would get it out of the UK's system. A Practice 'no deal', maybe at the beginning of September.

Too bad it can't happen.

Was in Tesco's today and it crossed my mind should we be building up a stock of non perishable goods that come from the uk or Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Was in Tesco's today and it crossed my mind should we be building up a stock of non perishable goods that come from the uk or Europe

Why not try lidl or Aldi instead I presume they have this problem a bit more licked

On a more serious note I presume this is one of the things the Govt and the logistics people in the chains have been thinking about, based on the UK's case it looks like a problem of how many thousand square feet of chilled store space is in the Republic and I am not sure there's a good answer to that

Wouldn't think so. The difference in shipping time from mainland Europe and the landbridge can be measured in hours.

Is that route more expensive?

So what you are saying is that checks cannot be carried out away from the border. That Coveney, Varadkar, UK, WTO and EU are all wrong when they say checks will not be done at the border.

Checks will have to be carried out somewhere either at the border or away from the border. Best hurry up and decide which !
    We can't decide as the UK, in taking back control, still haven't worked out what they want.

The EU, hell even the UK itself, is still waiting for the UK to work out it's own strategy. Seems a bit rich to demand that others have answers to a question the UJ hasn't even asked yet.

The solution to the red lines in the backstop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Matter of days before they threaten us with the landbridge and possible heavy charges. Leo is to press Johnson to make all food livestock and agriculture according to one of the papers. Wonder how that’ll go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Matter of days before they threaten us with the landbridge and possible heavy charges.

They can't.

That is illegal under WTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wetherspoon's should be boycotted in Ireland they are just **** holes anyway

Opening in Galway. For an owner that’s very pro Brexit he’s quite happy to build up a business in EU. Bit like Dominick Lawson extolling the virtues of Brexit - from his villa in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Seen in another light, if this isn’t a massive FU to Arlene and her DUP pals I don’t know what is :)

I completely agree, I'm surprised there hasn't been more made of it.

Very un-Fine Gael

And people queueing to have their photographs with him.

Is that route more expensive?
    I actually don't know. I would imagine there's not much in it. The main advantage of the landbridge is time. but that would go after brexit with delays everywhere.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    We can't decide as the UK, in taking back control, still haven't worked out what they want.

The EU, hell even the UK itself, is still waiting for the UK to work out it's own strategy. Seems a bit rich to demand that others have answers to a question the UJ hasn't even asked yet.

The solution to the red lines in the backstop.

What part of " the withdrawal agreement and backstop are dead. The UK are leaving with or without a deal on 31st of October" do you not understand.

The EU have said there will be no more negotiations, if that is the case then surely it is good to prepare and inform people what will happen in that case.

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement