Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,833 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And here is an excellent example of the complete DELUSION summed up in the first reply

https://twitter.com/clv101/status/1159233467286269952

:rolleyes:

Be funny if it wasn't so serious. They are going to be hung, drawn and quartered.

I have a feeling that guy in the first reply was being sarcastic...he was wasn't he??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

If he's not being sarcastic he really is completely delusional.

More like UK will be forced to accept lowering of food standards in a deal under current conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nody wrote:
    And how do you propose that to be done? What's to stop me from buying a container of chlorinated chicken in NI, drive it over the open border you envision, rebrand it and sell it on in EU? No truck checks allowed for EU bound traffic as it's against the single market regulation. Or heck let's go wild; what's to stop me from buying a truck full of tobacco, reclaim the duty in UK and then sell it on in EU duty free on the black market for a sweet million odd in profit? There WILL be controls at the Irish border and because the "no border controls" was dependent on the WA and UK being compliant to the GFA. If UK goes rouge (no deal) the business in NI is not going to rank high on the things EU will give a damn about to fix; they will be allowed to suffer and the Irish government will support it because the single market for Ireland is way more important. If they want to bitch about that then are welcome to go to their government who put them in that fix in the first place.

What do you think they have been building at Dublin, Rosslare and Ringaskiddy? What do you think the lorry park near Dublin Airport is for?

Manifests, Certs of Origin and other paperwork will be checked prior to trucks or cargo being loaded. Single Market regulation won't be an issue.

reslfj wrote:
    The SM will have no checks between EU countries. Any check is expensive. It's a fundamental core idea of the SM - internal market - that all goods are legal and fully compliant everywhere throughout.

You underestimate the pragmatism that keeps the EU on track. Frontex oversees the EU's external borders and has dealt with many thorny and sensitive issues (including criminal activity) in many difficult places.

The Irish issue will be handled pragmatically and the fact that we are an island actually simplifies matters as it provides choke points under EU administration.

The Irish border and GFA related stuff is unique. It will get a customised solution. Rest assured of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

54&56 wrote: »
    Excellent Article on Raab's visit to Canada and how he's being politely received and allowed to bang the drum for closer ties post Brexit etc but in reality Canada are not progressing a FTA with the UK as they can't see why they should when the likeyhood is in a no deal Brexit the UK will lower tariffs anyway. Why pay for something now (a FTA) which you will effectively get FOC without having to reciprocate in just a few weeks time?

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/canadas-brexit-talks-with-the-u-k-there-are-none/
    Thanks for posting that. It's a great article written in a very tongue-in-cheek style - well worth a read. Here's one great quote:
    Over to Raab. The newly re-minted minister endorsed Freeland’s remarks and threw in kind words about Canada-U.K. cooperation on D-Day. Because otherwise we might forget about that.
    D-Day. FFS. WWII references, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. It's a great article written in a very tongue-in-cheek style - well worth a read. Here's one great quote:
    D-Day. FFS. WWII references, again.
    you mean how they sent in the Canadians as cannon fodder?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Liz Truss just tweeted a picture of the UK trade talks delegation meeting their US counter parts.
    A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

One side looks like seasoned, emotionless professionals, the other like naive kids.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1159218950376435712?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

If they fail to get a deal with the US, the Brexit dream is dead. Any deal, even a bad deal for the UK, is a political imperative for the UK Govt. The US know this but they dont let on they know this because their Consular service doesnt give out leaks of confidential information.

So expect a deal that wholly favours the US, subequently being championed as a success of Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

It just makes... No. Sense. Whatsoever. Purely geographically, why would you cut yourself off from trade with your nearest neighbours in order to pursue trade with countries on the other side of the world or at least Very Very Far Away? Why would you buy more wine from the US and lamb from New Zealand (which they already do) when you can get it less than a hundred miles away in France and Ireland, tariff-free?

Can Brexiters not just push the rubbish about sovereignty and democracy, rather than pretending this lunacy makes any sense whatsoever from a trade point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Shelga wrote: »
    It just makes... No. Sense. Whatsoever. Purely geographically, why would you cut yourself off from trade with your nearest neighbours in order to pursue trade with countries on the other side of the world or at least Very Very Far Away? Why would you buy more wine from the US and lamb from New Zealand (which they already do) when you can get it less than a hundred miles away in France and Ireland, tariff-free?

Can Brexiters not just push the rubbish about sovereignty and democracy, rather than pretending this lunacy makes any sense whatsoever from a trade point of view?

It's too far gone now.

They desperately need something to stick it to the EU, especially the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

amacca wrote: »
    If he's not being sarcastic he really is completely delusional.

More like UK will be forced to accept lowering of food standards in a deal under current conditions.
    He seems to be a naive eco warrior type - I don't see it coming from a particularly brexity viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

First Up wrote: »
    You underestimate the pragmatism that keeps the EU on track. Frontex oversees the EU's external borders and has dealt with many thorny and sensitive issues (including criminal activity) in many difficult places.

The Irish issue will be handled pragmatically and the fact that we are an island actually simplifies matters as it provides choke points under EU administration.

The Irish border and GFA related stuff is unique. It will get a customised solution. Rest assured of that.

Forgive me, but I am not assured. Your assurances fly in the face of what both the EU and our own government have been saying. There will be no mini-deals, rest assured of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A small tidbit of good news - the decision to leave the Interrail pass scheme has been reversed after 24 hours:
    Britain's membership of the Interrail and EU train travel schemes will continue - just 24 hours after it was announced the UK would leave the project.

Industry body the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) said it renewed talks with Eurail Group, the company running the programmes, following "strong reaction to news of our departure".

They were able to reach an agreement which means Britain "will be remaining part of both the Interrail and Eurail passes".

The tickets allow holders to travel by train across Europe.

Link:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-08/decision-to-end-britains-interrail-membership-reversed/

https://twitter.com/RailDeliveryGrp/status/1159469766035349504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1159469766035349504&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.itv.com%2Fnews%2F2019-08-08%2Fdecision-to-end-britains-interrail-membership-reversed%2F

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They backed down because of the public backlash. Just a small taster of what will happen in November if Johnson blunders on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And here is an excellent example of the complete DELUSION summed up in the first reply

https://twitter.com/clv101/status/1159233467286269952

:rolleyes:

Be funny if it wasn't so serious. They are going to be hung, drawn and quartered.

Ah Kermit. That's satire.

They backed down because of the public backlash. Just a small taster of what will happen in November if Johnson blunders on.

Probably because a lot of Brexit voters voted to remove foreigners rights and privileges... Not their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The incredulity is everywhere. I have skim-read news, twitter/social media, business reports constantly for the last few days and everywhere is saturated in logical, intelligent discussions to save the UK from danger and all the brexiteers can do is whine and cry at ghosts and made-up, imaginary notions.

Please tell me something is going to give? All I sense is utter disaster if these clowns are allowed to run the show unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

lawred2 wrote: »
    Probably because a lot of Brexit voters voted to remove foreigners rights and privileges... Not their own.

And older people don't go interailing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

If they fail to get a deal with the US, the Brexit dream is dead. Any deal, even a bad deal for the UK, is a political imperative for the UK Govt. The US know this but they dont let on they know this because their Consular service doesnt give out leaks of confidential information.

So expect a deal that wholly favours the US, subequently being championed as a success of Brexit

Would love to be a fly on the wall in those talks.
    I hope someone leaks the tape.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    The incredulity is everywhere. I have skim-read news, twitter/social media, business reports constantly for the last few days and everywhere is saturated in logical, intelligent discussions to save the UK from danger and all the brexiteers can do is whine and cry at ghosts and made-up, imaginary notions.

Please tell me something is going to give? All I sense is utter disaster if these clowns are allowed to run the show unchallenged.

Don't see how it can.

The feeling amongst even remainers seems to be just get it done in the belief it will go away then and they'll stop hearing about it.

Like a form of torture, eventually you'll do or say anything just to make it stop.

Which I gather is the way things are also going outside the UK - that it *must* leave on 31st October, any further request for an extension must be declined. I don't think anyone is brave enough over there to push the Revoke button thus 1st Nov will be a clean break for both sides. The EU don't have to listen to them anymore as an ex-member and they can fight amongst themselves until they come to some definite path forward, whatever that might be.

Imreoir2 wrote:
    Forgive me, but I am not assured. Your assurances fly in the face of what both the EU and our own government have been saying. There will be no mini-deals, rest assured of that.

I think you might be mis-interpreting what the EU and Irish government are saying.
    Nobody is talking about a mini deal (me included).

There's an expression "the genius of and versus the tyranny of or". It applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

KildareP wrote: »
    Don't see how it can.

The feeling amongst even remainers seems to be just get it done in the belief it will go away then and they'll stop hearing about it.

Like a form of torture, eventually you'll do or say anything just to make it stop.

Which I gather is the way things are also going outside the UK - that it *must* leave on 31st October, any further request for an extension must be declined. I don't think anyone is brave enough over there to push the Revoke button thus 1st Nov will be a clean break for both sides. The EU don't have to listen to them anymore as an ex-member and they can fight amongst themselves until they come to some definite path forward, whatever that might be.

But I can’t see it going away. If they leave with no deal it will only be the beginning. There will be brexit related news dominating the airwaves for weeks and months as the effects take hold.
    If they don’t leave or extend or revoke etc we will have to listen to farage and his type screaming from the rooftops for months and years on end.
    It’s hard to see an endpoint in all this. Maybe a decisive second referendum? But that is just not on the horizon.
    Can anyone predict a timeline of when brexit will just cease to be an issue?
    Already it’s gone on for over half the length of time of world war 2.
    I reckon it could at least match that event in duration.
    And the aftermath of that took a further 44 /45 years to truly drift into history.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Because it was never about replacing EU trade with New Zealand etc. They were firmly of the belief that the EU would give them whatever they wanted (they need us more...) so they would keep all the trade, keep the EU money, change regulations and get more non EU trade by outcompetiting the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The sting will be taken out of Brexit when they leave. You won't have people outside parliament, it won't be on every news bulletin. Nobody is interested in trade deals.

The actual details of any trade deal will be glossed over, there certainly will not beca running commentary about it.

For the vast majority Brexit will be done on 31st Oct. Of course anybody paying attention understands that the real work actually starts then and that's when the real changes to their lives will start to happen

20silkcut wrote: »
    But I can’t see it going away. If they leave with no deal it will only be the beginning. There will be brexit related news dominating the airwaves for weeks and months as the effects take hold.
    If they don’t leave or extend or revoke etc we will have to listen to farage and his type screaming from the rooftops for months and years on end.
    It’s hard to see an endpoint in all this. Maybe a decisive second referendum? But that is just not on the horizon.
    And the aftermath of that took a further 44 /45 years to truly drift into history.

The EU can at least stop listening.

And no deal will (hopefully) sober many minds and show all the Brexiteer nonsense for what it is. Nothing better to calm rabbling than a hard dose of reality.

Because at the moment they still think the EU will break down and give in.

Let them crash out and see the EU is not going to give in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

20silkcut wrote: »

Thats a very interesting point and one I hadnt really considered. Many UK people are currently experiencing Brexit fatigue (if you think its bad for us you should see it over there ).

Many just want to see it done just to move on and are sick of it.

However the point I realized from the above is that almost no matter what option you take (including Revoke A50) it is going to drag on with major effects for several years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And older people don't go interailing much.

I am looking forward to qualifying for the discount

https://www.interrail.eu/en/deals/interrail-senior-discounts

trellheim wrote: »
    Thats a very interesting point and one I hadnt really considered. Many UK people are currently experiencing Brexit fatigue (if you think its bad for us you should see it over there ).

Many just want to see it done just to move on and are sick of it.

However the point I realized from the above is that almost no matter what option you take (including Revoke A50) it is going to drag on with major effects for several years to come

If you see Brexit as a symptom of something then you realise it (Brexit) might end but the underlying issue, the dysfunctional UK (it simply cannot continue to deliver fairly for all it's people) isn't going to solve itself for sometime yet and I don't know if it can.
    This 'dysfunction' can be traced back to when the Scottish Indy ref process began. I'm beginning to think Boris and the elite Brexiteers project is really an independent England tbh.

If you see Brexit as a symptom of something then you realise it (Brexit) might end but the underlying issue, the dysfunctional UK (it simply cannot continue to deliver fairly for all it's people) isn't going to solve itself for sometime yet and I don't know if it can.
    This 'dysfunction' can be traced back to when the Scottish Indy ref process began.

Continue to deliver fairly?

When did it do that?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Continue to deliver fairly?

When did it do that?

Perhaps it would have been more apt to say, 'continue the illusion of delivering fairly'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Leo should have turned BoJo's words against him.

When BoJo says 'the anti-democratic backstop', Leo should pose the suggestion: 'So let us find a method to democratize it'.

For a NI-only backstop it should have been suggested to put it to referendum to the people of NI.
    Could also give some level of competence to the North/South Ministerial Council.
    All wrapped up in nice flowery language about the GFA etc.

Opportunity missed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement